Replacing coil springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2005 Liberty and the front end sits pretty low compared to the back end. It has a fairly solid rake to it. After reading on here about how the coil springs wear out so fast I am thinking that my front springs have worn out a lot more than my rear springs.

Do I need to replace all 4 springs or is it acceptable to just replace the front springs? I have read good things about the OME springs on here. If I get a set of them is it required that I replace the struts at the same time?

I am not looking for optimal lift (although lift would not be a bad thing) I just want to fix my sagging front end without spending a lot more than I have to, or fixing it in a way that will give out again fairly soon.

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to do it right then you should do new shocks and coils front and rear. More then likely, the entire suspension is sagging, the front is probably just sagging more. If you just upgrade the front to OME coils, you'll end up with the front a couple inches above the rear instead. To really even things out, you'll want to do all 4 shocks and springs, and then add rear iso's and/or adjust the clevis to even the front and rear.

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You really should replace everything all the way around. The backs are probly worn just as much and since it has a stock rake to it and the weight of the motor will make the front look lower then the rear. You might as well go with a lift, the price is so close its silly not to if you have ever thought of lifting you jeep. IMO the ride quality is way way better and it will last longer depending on how hard you drive it

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yep. For coils and shocks. Another very solid option is Bilstein, I run them for shocks and they have been great so far.

Thelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you happy with the ride quality from the Ironman coils? I do not want a really harsh ride.

The iron man set was a little rough at first but after a few hundred miles of break in they are a nice and comfortable on nearly all terrain

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. I definitely noticed an improvement from stock from the start with the Ironman setup. I was happy with them right away...Then after about 500-1000 miles, I was really impressed and very happy with them.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Arent the bilsteins a really soft shock?

I've got the Bilsteins on mine with OME 927/948 springs and they're excellent. There are times I wish they were "softer" as certain railroad track crossings and frost heaves can be jarring. Offroad they have performed well also.

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
OME and Bilstiens ride about the same IMO.
Ironmans ride good and they are coming out with a extended rear shock soon
Rode with all, plus the old Rancho RSX line which WERE GREAT!

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I know... I'm going to have to update my suspension again within the next year or so, and without the RSX line, I'm not sure what I'm going to substitute in yet.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Arent the bilsteins a really soft shock?

Doesn't feel that way to me...pretty firm but well controlled. Reminds me of the air suspension in the LR3, firm but very controlled. Not harsh by any means, but doesn't ride like a car. (I hate when a 4x4 rides like a car)

Joe200man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question, I was looking at lift kits online the other day, seen an OME 1.5" lift that the max tire size was 31" but there was also a skyjacker kit that was 2.5" that had a max tire size of 30.5?? I'd never use a skyjacker lift but just curious as to why the OME lift is only at 1.5" but can fit 31's?

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question, I was looking at lift kits online the other day, seen an OME 1.5" lift that the max tire size was 31" but there was also a skyjacker kit that was 2.5" that had a max tire size of 30.5?? I'd never use a skyjacker lift but just curious as to why the OME lift is only at 1.5" but can fit 31's?

That's what it's advertised as you actually get more lift than that.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You'll get nearly 3" with just the OME springs. Add top plate, clevis lift and rear isolators and you're at nearly 4".

Glad you said you wouldn't install a Skyjacker - your momma raised a smart one! :peace:

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

OME is rated at 1.5 inches for insurance purposes in the land of Aus , ( I need to put that on the list of information that we repeat all the time LOL
Skyjacker is rated at 2.5 inches but since the front spring rating is the same as stock it'll sag before long