Replaced Heater Hoses, Rad Hoses, Etc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its still cool around here, but anytime I stop or Im in traffic the engine has always jumped up to 218F where the electric fan kicks on. Ive also noticed that the engine runs at 198F with the new thermostat where the original always ran at 193F when on the highway.

The transmission jumped up to 195F pretty quick when I was towing a 5x8 uhaul box trailer in traffic this past weekend. It was only 65F out and I only went through 5-6 redlights. Ive got a bad feeling the transmission has been getting too hot in summer stop and go traffic or those long uphill grades. Otherwise the ****** ran ~150F while towing the ~1,500 box trailer.

And yes, my 04 has the larger shroud and did not come with the towing package.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the mechanical fan won't save you if the efan goes. I have the HD cooling and when my efan relay failed in traffic a few years back I heated up enough to trash my head gaskets.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my current radiator decides to pop Ill most likely go with the in-rad cooler. Just cant spend the money to buy a new radiator when I don't REALLTY need it. I tow so infrequently and hardly ever offroad anymore.

Its funny. On the ZJ forums people talk about how its a good idea to bypass the radiator cooler. Everyone is worried about antifreeze getting in the transmission if the inrad cooler leaks. Ive never personally known of that happening, but Ive read about it online.

I watch my engine temps like a hawk. Every time it creeps up to 218 I'm watching it making sure it doesn't go above 220F. For now Im the only one driving it, but its scary thinking about the electric fan quitting and Im not driving it. I think the mechanical fan would slow the while process down, which is what I want. Just don't want it to go from 198F to overheating in a matter of minutes. It makes me feel better, hows that? :gr_grin:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing better than a new sponge bob!

You must be registered for see images attach

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my current radiator decides to pop Ill most likely go with the in-rad cooler. Just cant spend the money to buy a new radiator when I don't REALLTY need it. I tow so infrequently and hardly ever offroad anymore.

Its funny. On the ZJ forums people talk about how its a good idea to bypass the radiator cooler. Everyone is worried about antifreeze getting in the transmission if the inrad cooler leaks. Ive never personally known of that happening, but Ive read about it online.

I watch my engine temps like a hawk. Every time it creeps up to 218 I'm watching it making sure it doesn't go above 220F. For now Im the only one driving it, but its scary thinking about the electric fan quitting and Im not driving it. I think the mechanical fan would slow the while process down, which is what I want. Just don't want it to go from 198F to overheating in a matter of minutes. It makes me feel better, hows that? :gr_grin:

All those stories you hear about are from vehicle that have been neglected.I've seen a few fail but again the vehicle was neglected.

From my professional experience 90% will not do prevented maintenance,and 95% of those will not do anything till something has failed.

Then you got about 25% that will do nothing and the 1st sign of trouble(including needing tires or a oil change) they trade the vehicle in.

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have read on the Titan forum that issues with the inrad cooler is a common thing with the Titan's but have yet to know a Titan owner that has had this fail. However I may do a bypass down the road as I do haul and use the truck as intended. From what I have seen is that bypassing with a HD cooler brings the ****** temp a good 20 degree's cooler. Enough to see a difference on the ****** temp gauge.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read on the Titan forum that issues with the inrad cooler is a common thing with the Titan's but have yet to know a Titan owner that has had this fail. However I may do a bypass down the road as I do haul and use the truck as intended. From what I have seen is that bypassing with a HD cooler brings the ****** temp a good 20 degree's cooler. Enough to see a difference on the ****** temp gauge.

The in-radiator trans cooler does more then just cool the ATF,it also brings it up to operating temps faster and unlike a stand alone cooler the in-radiator cooler can handle temp spikes in the ATF unlike the stand alone cooler(which can't).

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All those stories you hear about are from vehicle that have been neglected.I've seen a few fail but again the vehicle was neglected.

From my professional experience 90% will not do prevented maintenance,and 95% of those will not do anything till something has failed.

Then you got about 25% that will do nothing and the 1st sign of trouble(including needing tires or a oil change) they trade the vehicle in.

Isnt that amazing? I guess something youve got to consider is most people cant do the work themself and they dont want (or cant afford) to pay someone to do the work. In their mind it makes more sense to just buy a new/newer car and not do any maintenance. A guy at work use to brag about always having a new truck and not having to have two cars in case one broke down and all that jazz. He knew I owned 3 Jeeps and did all my own work. Amazing how much money he wasted buying new trucks every 4-5 years. Im trying to average about 20 years on my Jeeps. Going on 22 on my ZJ. Since Im not driving the kj near as much it should last over 20 years for me. Just not sure what Ill get after that....

The inrad cooler shouldnt cause the ****** to run warmer if everything is cooling like it should. The inrad cooler is on the cool side of the radiator so it should always be below 200F at least. Otherwise the engine would be overheating, which will cause the ****** to run warmer.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I moved the gauge. Having it below the steering wheel was useless. Its held in place with some velcro I had laying around. Gonna buy some better velcro later, dont think Ill screw it into the dash. Only reason I screw it into the trim piece is bc it wasnt factory, have that piece stowed away from when I installed the renegade switch.

Had to move my scan gauge to the other side but Im ok with that. Think this is going to be a nice place.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like it - nice and visible!

By the way, you have a nice looking shop going by what I can see through your windshield and under the back edge of the hood :waytogo:

Bob

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After all this... The water pump is going bad... I figured that radiator would spring a leak right after but I guess it will pop a leak after I replace the water pump.

Maybe I didnt check it when I had it apart for everything else (cant remember), but lately Ive noticed a sort of grinding/roaring noise when first start it up. Thought maybe its an idler pulley going bad (one does sounds a little rough when spinning by hand) but the water pump pulley is wobbly, so I guess I should go ahead and replace it. Not leaking antifreeze that I can see.

Tjkj claims that napa sells a good water pump (truflow) so Ill try that. Its more than half the price of a mopar unit.

Only has 96,000 miles.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Mine went bad around then. Mine was gushing coolant out but no noises that I can recall. Put a reman Napa in and it's been fine for the past 3 years and 50k miles. Knock on wood!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed the new napa truflow (china) last night. The pump has a lifetime warranty IF you keep the receipt. Ive got a box that the paper bricks come in thats almost completely full of receipts, which works out excellent. Ive worked on so many Jeeps that I have receipts for parts that I didnt buy for my Jeep but the parts work on my Jeeps and the parts have lifetime warranties..... Works nice....

Anyway, this is by far the easiest water pump Ive ever replaced. This Jeep is the only Jeep that Ive been able to use the pet-**** on and it work! No mess and it seals fine. Still lost about a half gallon of coolant when I took the water pump off. Drained 1.5 gal and lost 0.5 gal, so it still had 1.5 gal in there somewhere.

This little gal showed up one day and hasnt left. Shes been around for about 2 years, shes a good cat.

Bolted it up and called it a day. Didnt buy any extra antifreeze since I thought I could save it all and reuse it (since the fluid was just changed) but couldnt catch all of the fluid and keep the fluid clean. Popped the bleed screw out and filled it up till it came out of the bleed screw. Started it up, all seems well besides a bad tensioner pulley... Its a dayco pulley that only has ~30k on it or so... Pitiful.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang you keep a clean Jeep!!

I"ve never been able to keep the steering rack clean - too much oil drips from the filter during changes and all the dirt stops right there.

Yours looks like you just brought home from the showroom floor :waytogo:

Bob

Last edited:

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed all hoses ,radiator, tensioner,t-stat and water pump this past fall as a preventive measure on my 04 with 160k - used all Mopar parts - I've seen too many Chinese water pumps fail at the worst time.

I had a lifetime warranty on a Chinese water pump and radiator on my kids Honda civic and it was a hassle to replace them every 2-3 years..

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks twobob. I try to always wipe it down after changing oil but there is some buildup on the rack that you cant see. I enjoy keeping it clean. Its under a car cover right now haha.

Yeah, I would like to use all mopar parts, I do where I can afford it. Ill give this water pump a chance and see how it works out. Tjkj claims its a good one and he typically knows whats what. Mopar was $136 and this was $60.

Ordered a new mopar tensioner. Dayco unit lasted less than 30,000mi.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya talk about a spotless Jeep/ engine bay..!!
ha ha Just Remember tho...
56179[/ATTACH]"]

Glad the water pump went in easily for you. Ya tensioner should be better than that, I used a Gates assembly, will see how long mine lasts.
Oh in photo 1, I got a bit nervous viewing wrenches sitting so close to the battery terminals!

Attachments

• Clean%20Jeep%20is.jpg
    Clean%20Jeep%20is.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 0

Members online

No members online now.