Replaced Heater Hoses, Rad Hoses, Etc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Liberty hasn't gotten much tlc lately. In the past 5 years all Ive done is change the transmission fluid, it sits most of the time now a days.

Hate to admit this, but since new the only fluid thats not been changed is the antifreeze. I change everything else on or before it should be changed but Ive never changed the antifreeze. Figured its time after 12 years and 94,000mi, so I went ahead and did the thermostat, heater hoses, and valve cover gaskets.

If you dont like pictures, you better clear out now.

Got the hoses from amazon, think they were $87.. Which is kinda insane.

You must be registered for see images attach

Bought a mopar thermostat. Not made in usa....

Picked up some felpro gaskets from advance auto for $35. Kinda annoys me being able to see the blue. Mopars were too expensive.

All kinds of sludge in this engine...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of the wire loom under the hood has started to fall apart. Its odd, the wire loom in my 94 ZJ is just fine.

I bought some braided sleeve to replace the wire loom. It looks better and should hold up better than the wire loom did. When trying to find the tape that mopar used from the factory (still havent) I came upon tesa tape. Its probably better than than what mopar used, but I would still like to have the mopar tape.

Haven't gotten to this yet, but this was the O2 and oil pressure sender wiring.

While checking things out I saw something odd. My belt has been squeaking for awhile now after I replaced it with a napa belt. I always caulked it up as being the napa belt and have a new mopar belt ready to go in... Then I saw this, anyone see it?

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice job and pics, Blake. I never heard of that "Tesa Tape". I will need to get some.

Dave

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's clean on the inside. What does the inside of your oil fill port look like? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil fill port is always nice and clean. The cap has a film of yellow on it most of the time time though. I rarely drive it less than 30min since its a 30min drive to work. Always use valvoline syn also.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it an issue, I've never had any foam/sludge/yellow crap in the oil fill tube. The cap does however normally have a film on it.

Think everything is wrapped up. Started it and let it warm up but it only got up to 173F, didnt feel like waiting any longer. Im sure it still has some air in it, Ill have to raise the front up and do it again.

Unfortunately sponge bob died yesterday. In an attempt to cleanse him, he simply feel apart. Thankfully I not only ordered one new one, but two new ones! $4 a piece. Going to have to get a catch can also, the intake is coated with oil pretty badly.

I ended up putting the original tensioner back on but i took the pulleys off the newer dayco unit. The dayco unit was pulling away from its mount thus making the belt run sideways, not sure what caused that but the mopar unit doesnt do that. My belt has squeaked when cold for over a year now and I just assumed it was the Napa belt, even bought a new mopar unit to put on but havent yet. I noticed the new mopar belt isnt like my original with the roughness to it. Anyone know the part number for the original belt? I ordered what was in the 04 part manual.

Has anyone ever replaced the hose going from the overflow to the radiator? Dealer said its $70 but Im not buying that. The part number thats on the hose doesnt show up on the internets.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang - that looks better than factory!

Where can I find that braid and Tesa Tape? You did a great job :waytogo:

Bob

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought about replacing my overflow hose a while back. Never could find an affordable replacement. Maybe I'll take it off and go to Napa and they can match the size. Should just be a small bore heater hose.

I have an ancient roll of tape just like the tesa you showed. Real heavy duty stuff. My dad always had a few rolls around. Don't see any label on mine.

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is that straight hose from the overflow to the rad is just straight hose. I'm in the process of changing all as well. I've already done the rad hoses, water pump and t-stat.

Just waiting for warm weather to do the rest. When I have it down I'll run to the local shop and see if they just have bulk hose in that diameter.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem with that is, that hose is under the same pressure that the coolant system is. Its not just some standard hose.

The guy at the dealer recommended fuel hose since its rated for pressures much higher than the coolant system is under. Ive always liked factory looking parts and a fuel hose isnt going to look factory... idk...

The wrap is 3/8" and 1/4" flexo F6 briaded cable sleeving wrap. Bought it on ebay for $17 shipped for 25ft of 3/8 and $12 for 25' of 1/4".

Found the tesa tape on ebay awhile back. Some guy was selling it but he isnt there anymore. Cant remember what I paid but I want to say $20 for 4 rolls.

Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about replacing my overflow hose a while back. Never could find an affordable replacement. Maybe I'll take it off and go to Napa and they can match the size. Should just be a small bore heater hose.

I bought my fuel hose from napa for my overflow. I'll check the part number that's on the hose later tonight.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought my fuel hose from napa for my overflow. I'll check the part number that's on the hose later tonight.

Fuel line sounds like a great idea. Keep me posted. I'll have to check and see if I have any small pieces left from when I did some replacement on another vehicle. Might be the right size. I realized today that I have some small bore heater hose. Completely forgot I had it. I'll try to match some up tomorrow and pass the size on if it fits. :party52:

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well waaaay back when I worked in Auto Parts (early '70's) we had bulk hose in several types. Water, Fuel and oil. There were a lot of uses for large trucks and equipment.

No idea what is available anymore though I'm sure Gates still makes it.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay. so here's the specs for the napa hose I have for my overflow.
3/8" 9.5mm SAE 30R7 made by Gates. GL092113 A2

SAE30R7 is for Fuel Line/PCV/Emission Control

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
okay. so here's the specs for the napa hose I have for my overflow.
3/8" 9.5mm SAE 30R7 made by Gates. GL092113 A2

SAE30R7 is for Fuel Line/PCV/Emission Control

Thanks! I checked my assortment of heater hose and fuel line but all the wrong size. :party52:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny, I was just at napa yesterday and bought 10' of that exact hose to install an oil catch can in my 5.9. I think Ive concluded mopar sells that hose in 50' rolls, thats why its so high.

This isnt directly tied to replacing heater hoses, but ever since I bought my kj new Ive wanted the mechanical fan. Not sure why I hadnt bought it yet, guess money was always tight.

Anyway, here she be! I bought 5 flanged bolts (1 extra) at fastenal for..... $0.61... Think theyre normally $0.70 a piece? Theyre 5/16"-18 x 5/8" just like the stockers but theyre $20 from what I could find. I put a little blue lock-tite on them just in case. Ive not installed it yet, but will once I drive the Jeep in warmer temperatures this summer. I want to watch the engine and transmissions temps to see how they react after the mech. Ive not driven the Jeep in the summer heat since having a ****** temp gauge.

The clutch is a factory replacement hayden unit. Bought it on ebay at a decent price but I cant remember what. I felt good about it at the time.

Ive always worried about the electric fan failing on me. At least this would help keep it from blowing up if the electric fan did go bad. Maybe keep those pesky valve seats in place.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...This isnt directly tied to replacing heater hoses, but ever since I bought my kj new Ive wanted the mechanical fan. Not sure why I hadnt bought it yet, guess money was always tight.

Anyway, here she be! I bought 5 flanged bolts (1 extra) at fastenal for..... $0.61... Think theyre normally $0.70 a piece? Theyre 5/16"-18 x 5/8" just like the stockers but theyre $20 from what I could find. I put a little blue lock-tite on them just in case. Ive not installed it yet, but will once I drive the Jeep in warmer temperatures this summer. I want to watch the engine and transmissions temps to see how they react after the mech. Ive not driven the Jeep in the summer heat since having a ****** temp gauge.

That's right, yours came with the extended fan shroud but not the mech fan, right? Always wondered why Chrysler did that - it's like the cooling system is half pregnant. Not fully set up for the tow package and not really the standard cooling system either :shrug:

Last summer I got an OBDII app for my phone/stereo system so I can keep track of coolant temps. There aren't any spikes in temp like there might be in stop and go traffic or off road - but not having had a reader before I installed the mech fan and shroud I don't have a baseline to compare it to. I'm curious to see your results.

Bob

Latest posts

Members online