Rear Axle recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

randymorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was able to get a rear 4.10 axle for my Liberty. I’ve still got to tear it down, clean it up, remove all the garbage they shipped with it (like a shock still attached that’s bent at like a 30 degree angle toward the center of the axle), clean up some surface rust, and paint and primer it. But since I’m gonna be removing a lot to make this happen, are there any parts that are recommended to be replaced now, as I don’t know any history on the axle? Wheel studs look rusty so I plan to replace those. Haven’t removed the caliper or rotor yet to take a look at the axle shaft. I sprayed it down with pb blaster tonight to help me with the bolts come tomorrow. The front diff replacement will come next, sometime after my upcoming move, so it won’t be driven until the front is replaced as well.

Reaction score
So I was able to get a rear 4.10 axle for my Liberty. I’ve still got to tear it down, clean it up, remove all the garbage they shipped with it (like a shock still attached that’s bent at like a 30 degree angle toward the center of the axle), clean up some surface rust, and paint and primer it. But since I’m gonna be removing a lot to make this happen, are there any parts that are recommended to be replaced now, as I don’t know any history on the axle? Wheel studs look rusty so I plan to replace those. Haven’t removed the caliper or rotor yet to take a look at the axle shaft. I sprayed it down with pb blaster tonight to help me with the bolts come tomorrow. The front diff replacement will come next, sometime after my upcoming move, so it won’t be driven until the front is replaced as well.

Id open the cover and inspect gears. Also wouldn't hurt to replace axle seals, pinion seal and replace diff cover seal while you're there.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Toss the calipers and rotors, won't need them of course
open it up, spin it to check all of the teeth to make sure they are good, then make sure to use good old Dino diff fluid when you do fill it back up
You could replace all seal and bearings if you know enough to completely tear it down and get it back together right
Most times when I find a new set of diffs I know what they came out of and know pretty much what life they have had, but you are going in blind , so ??
when swapping I never take apart any brake lines etc, don't have to
Just pull calipers, ( tie them up ) shocks, remove E-Brake cables, brake lines from their attachment points ,letting everything hang, unbolt the whole bracket on the diff that attaches the upper tri link, remove sway bar and toss it in the junk pile , drop diff and stick the new one in and reattach , very easy. No need to bleed brakes that way

Last edited:

randymorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, I'm going to be replacing the rotors and pads currently installed on the truck when I swap the axle, so the lower control arms, shocks, upper control arm, calipers, and rotors were already scheduled for recycle. I already replaced upper and lower control arms on the current axle and haven't driven since the swap, so they are good. I don't know enough to do a full tear down and reassemble, so I will talk with the guy helping me (who's day job is as a commercial mechanic) to see if he is comfortable replacing the seals and bearings. I still have some extra dino fluid from my last fluid change, so that's what I was planning on using. I will probably need one more bottle of it though, so I was gonna match what I had. For the fluid I just searched for whatever was recommended on here and bought it, 75w90 or something close to that.

I've convinced my wife to let me buy a lubelocker for the rear axle, so that will make reassembly easier for me after spinning it to check all the gears.

Thank you all so much for your input! I'm looking forward to my liberty performing better than it has the entire time I've owned it. Still gotta do my transmission cooler lines and some engine work. I was planning on doing those when I pull the front diff for replacement next.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
75-90 will work on most peoples KJ
I run 75/80-140 due to pulling trailers so much have that in the 03 and 04
05 is running the 75-90

libjeep

Reaction score
75-90 will work on most peoples KJ
I run 75/80-140 due to pulling trailers so much have that in the 03 and 04
05 is running the 75-90
How about in KK? I have some Valvoline High Performance 75W90 sitting around from a car I sold awhile back(8 quarts of it). This is my wifes car and no towing or offroad.

Latest posts

Members online