PSA: Check your caliper bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The rotational noise I had described in an earlier thread turned out to be the caliber bracket bolts becoming loose (rubbing the rim) and eventually coming off. The bracket dropped down, ruined a rim and caused a blowout. Not mention a loss of braking power.
You must be registered for see images attach

They should be torqued to 100ftlbs as per the FSM.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Forgot to mention this was on the front...not sure if the rear torque spec is the same.

And thanks no one was hurt, happened pulling away from a stop light.

KodiakKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now l'm going to have to check my right rear caliper bolts. I had to take it off due to a broken lug. It's a good thing it wasn't at high speeds and your Ok.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow... Sorry about the destroyed rim but really thankful you're OK. Guess what I'll be checking tomorrow...? :emotions34:

Bob

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would putting blue loctite prevent this? I still have a brake job to do on the jeep.

Also if you put a picture and the specs of the rim, I'm sure some of us will help search for a replacement rim.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I just put some red loctite on the driver's sides bolts, will do the same when I get the new passenger side ones tomorrow ($8 per bolt at the dealer FWIW)

The rim is the 17x7.5 Dakar in the Silver finish
You must be registered for see images

Neal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put some red loctite on the driver's sides bolts, will do the same when I get the new passenger side ones tomorrow ($8 per bolt at the dealer FWIW)

The rim is the 17x7.5 Dakar in the Silver finish
You must be registered for see images
The red Loctite has to be heated to remove, use the blue Loctite on bolts you will want to remove.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The red Loctite has to be heated to remove, use the blue Loctite on bolts you will want to remove.

Oh shit....will I have problems getting them off tomorrow to put blue on instead? I only use a small drop.
EDIT: Took them off, will use Blue on them now. Thanks.
And Uss....thanks for the links!

Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I added a few more.
Just sparring a few minutes. Hope those work.
I didn't go through the whole google hits.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The blue Loctite is recommended to be used on 1/4"-1/2" diameter bolts. You can use red on small bolts, if it's something you don't want to remove very easily, but it's overkill for a number of uses that are smaller than 1/2". With that said, I've never used any loctite on caliper bolts. When torqued down properly, they don't come loose.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Come to think of it, I think the only loctite on my Jeep is the main lug nuts holding the wheel adapters to the hubs, and a dab on the rear driveshaft u-joint bolts. I've had a lot of things apart on mine, and I put anti-seize on every other bolt bolt that went back on.