PSA: Check your caliper bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well one thing I can say I have never had happen,personally or at work.

Use Loctite is you wish but only use the blue stuff.I know GM uses Loctite from the factory but have not seen any others.

Geepster

Reaction score
Caliper torque spec in the service manual is 11 ft lbs..

Oh, you are speaking of the bolts holding the bracket on, not the caliper. Those are 100 ft lbs. 11 ft lbs on the caliper mounting bolts.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Correct, this is the bracket that bolts to the knuckle and it takes 100 ftlbs. Caliper takes 11.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I knew I'd seen a pic just like that recently…was driving me nuts.

Yep I was lucky it wasn't snowy out since the wheel completely locked up, it could've killed me as I was on a very small, crowded road

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they had been torqued correctly to 100ft/lbs, they wouldn't come loose.
Not really true,should but murphy always shows his nasty head every once in awhile.

The real kicker is how many actually use a calibrated torque wrench to actually torque bolts like those,I'd say less then 0.01%.I don't and never have but sadly that day will soon end since "torque to yield" bolts are almost the norm on '14+ model year vehicles.At least It will be a year or 2 before I start really messing with that crap but did just invest a lot of $$$ in brand new Snap On digital torque wrenches(3/8" and 1/2"),at least they have a great calibration program that does not cost a arm and a leg.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
It must have had a unique sound as well..Kerrr.....SNAP !

mightybeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
followed by a Fsomethinsomethin... last brake change i noticed the threads towards the head rusted away so i picked up some new pins between changes.