Caliper Bolt fell out. What should I check?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nogoldformarfa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I learned a hard lesson on the importance of torque spec last weekend. At about 20 mph I tried to stop and heard a crazy rattling sound from the front end. I stopped and checked (I thought) everything and went on my way. About 300 yards down the road it happens again and this time the front right wheel locked up completely. I limped it a further 200 yards or so dragging the front right tire to a parking lot.
That's when I noticed the front right caliper was up against the rim, the caliper bolt had come out which drove the caliper up and therefore stopped the wheel from being able to turn. I had it towed home. Replaced the brake pads, caliper bolts, and the rotor.
It seems to drive fine now but out of an abundance of caution what if anything should I be worried about. I know limping it with the front wheel locked up could not have been good for any part of the front axle or cv joint but should I be worried.? I have now purchased a torque wrench and will be using it religiously.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I had the exact same thing happen once and it ruined the rim. I always use blue loctite now and torque it. I didn't use loctite before.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Oreillys has the bolt, it wasn't listed for my 05 but they did an 04 or 06 and found it.

nogoldformarfa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got the bolts from advance and replaced them. I am more so wondering if I could have hurt the axle or gearing dragging that locked up front wheel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Put it back together and see...only one way to find out. I doubt it.

nogoldformarfa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drives fine for now I guess we will see how this goes long term

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.