Probably stupid question about towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So our beloved pickup had to go away due to the math just not adding up at the pump for the number of miles we put on (around 1000 mi/week between the wife and I). Replaced it with a Jetta TDI and the savings have been wonderful. Unfortunately, we sacrifice a great deal of capability going from a RAM 1500 to a Jetta. That leaves the KJ as our workhorse:shrug:
So heres the probably stupid question about towing:
Can the KJ manage a single horse trailer with a horse in it? (3.7, atx)

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If it weighs less than 5k, and if you have the tow package, you should be ok!

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, if I were in Your shoes, I'd give the horse a gps, some cash to buy food, tell him we'll meet at the race track
and to.... leave mares alone :happy175:

BUT, as You probably won't follow this advice then straight from the FSM :

On the 3.7L engine, an electric fan is standard and the viscous fan is added on for trailer tow packages only.

Guess You might want to fit one in, don't think too many parts involved but I know, $$$.

Don't know if electric fan is enough. mine has that @#!" viscous coupler, and coolant temp NEVER goes beyond 206.
I don't tow anything but it's not all that cold here...
You migth hook up a scan tool and keep an eye on coolant temperature, don't ever trust the 'idiot needle'.

Also 85W/140 in rear axle is mandatory and be careful on ****** maintenance, that's all of my limited knowledge :shrug:

Doublecardan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A horse trailer for two horses, would weigh in at about 8 to 9 hundred pounds, one horse with (Fodder, bedding, tack, and droppings) should come in around 1150 so you only have a ton to tow, that should be no problem for the kj although you will want a trailer brake system to handle the extra weight.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
KJ Towing demands especially come summer on any vehicle require best cooling and more frequent service of fluids, including the rear diff.
If you are just pulling short distances, that is not severe service but the long hauls require more attention.
Because of boat pull & my leaky stock ****** pan, I am going to install PML pan that is 1-1.5 quarts above stock.
http://www.yourcovers.com/transpan_11044.php
39962[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

It also has a drain plug, which makes it easy to drain the 4-5 quarts and replenish, which will help in-between the main service, including filters & flushes. As aluminum, it will help in cooling as well.
They can also machine and temp sensor in the new pan Why did the KJ not come with anyway to read ****** temps, even with OBDII?
Time to have a Temp sensor and gauge soon!!

I also use RED Lubgard transmission additive, which works wonders.
http://www.lubegard.com/pdfs/downloads/TestimonialBook.pdf

After the pan is installed I am going to look around locally for a external ****** cooler with built in fan like this:
39964[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

http://www.ipsmotorsports.net/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=64&products_id=3080&osCsid=qvlshft3n0m882dsuuq5n1u571
Cooler with Fan will greatly reduce ATF+4 temps!!!!!

Use regular GL5-75-140 in rear diff and change it every 10,000 miles.
****** up to you but I will drain the ATF+4 every 5k miles and complete service every 35k if towing regularly.

Attachments

• PMLTransmissionPan.jpg
    PMLTransmissionPan.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 0
  • TrannyCooler.jpg
    TrannyCooler.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, if I were in Your shoes, I'd give the horse a gps, some cash to buy food, tell him we'll meet at the race track
and to.... leave mares alone :happy175:

I actually love that plan! Unfortunately, he is a she and I would probably just end up with another horse:favorites68:

Thanks for the good info all. I'm guessing the tow package fan is a dealer item...I like the ****** cooler idea, brake kit, and the upgraded oil pan would be great if it were reasonably priced. Maybe I can fab one...

I'm going to go ahead and risk flaming here and ask before searching: what all was in the tow package, and can I bring my 05 in to have it installed? I'm sure I can find the first part of the answer by searching, and will do that later, just don't have time right now so I thought I'd throw the question out there...I dont have a hitch so I assume its safe to reason that I dont have the package.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The dealer HD fan kit is probably $500? (if you can find one)
It consists of a clutch driven fan, new fan shroud, and new smaller electric fan.
I think you would be cooler, better off getting some lubegard, and install a HD ****** cooler as previously mentioned.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The tow package included the ****** cooler, engine cooler, hitch, wiring harness, and brake controller port.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The quick answer to your question is, "Yes, you can tow the horse trailer."

The long answer is contained in the above posts - the HD cooling is the biggest component that you definitely DON'T have on your KJ. However the other components are either on your KJ now or are easily added, with a supplemental ****** cooler suggested by LibertyTC being the most difficult addition.

It is a long thread but this trailer hitch How-To is an excellent write-up. Kinda long if you read all the posts and it was written nearly 6 years ago but the KJ's didn't change much over the years.

I suggest that you purchase the factory 7-pin trailer harness, PN 82207248 and - unless your KJ came with the EVIC overhead console - you WILL NEED to purchase the supplemental harness PN 82207620. I stress that if you DO NOT have an EVIC overhead console installed from the factory you will need the supplemental harness as it powers the various connections provided by the 7-pin connection.

To use a brake controller for the trailer the factory harnesses include a brake controller wire which you will need to hard-wire into a brake controller. Your pickup most likely included a modular plug for a controller but - alas - the KJ uses the wire on the harness. Irritatingly, most KJ's - even without the trailer harness - have the brake controller wire in the electrical panel next to the brake pedal, but it doesn't do you any good until you install the supplemental harness. The bloody thing is just there - but the supplemental harness will make it easy for you to access and connect to the brake controller. The post linked above explains how to find it.

Next, depending on the year of your KJ, the ONLY thing it might be missing is the HD viscous fan, extended fan shroud and electric fan (a different electric fan than you have now.) I have looked every place I can think of to find the HD cooling kit that Mopar used to sell and I can't find one. Best bet is to try to find one in a salvage yard somewhere.

I say might be missing as early KJ's included power steering coolers (a vertical cooler on the driver's side of the radiator) as well as transmission coolers which run across the bottom width of the radiator; you'll see the supply and return lines on the passenger side of the radiator. The factory ****** cooler is admittedly wimpy but most KJ's did have them. I believe that the HD cooling system was more to pull additional air across the ****** cooler vs the radiator so an aftermarket ****** cooler is in my future.

I would suggest a LoadRite hitch as you gain about 4 inches of length beyond the bumper which extends it far enough back that you will find it easier to connect your trailer without having to resort to a 13- or 16-inch ball mount.

My apologies for the length of this reply. I installed the factory hitch and factory 7-pin harness and supplemental harness over the winter and for me a plug-n-play installation makes life easier. (I used the factory hitch as I found a GREAT deal on a spotless factory hitch off an '07 KJ, though I'm paying for it by having to use an extended ball mount :disgust: )

All that I've described can be installed by your dealer - a local dealer here was happy to do it for $400 labor plus the cost of the parts. No thanks...:freak3:

Let us know what you end up doing!

Bob

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies, I know I should have searched sooner, my time is just very limited on the weekends. Heres the background info that your missing:
-Its an 05 limited so yes to the evic
-I dont currently have a trailer so if/when I buy one, I will be able to factor in the capabilities of the jeep when choosing one.
-I'm comfortable doing any install myself, so labor cost is not an issue

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tow package included the ****** cooler, engine cooler, hitch, wiring harness, and brake controller port.

Didn't the 04 to the 06 Libby's have a built in ****** cooler in their radiator? If so then all you'd need for the complete trailer package is a mechanical clutch fan & fan shroud (available at your nearest wrecking yard) and a class III hitch. If your horse trailer doesn't come with hydraulic trailer brakes you would have to add an electric brake setup. That's covered well in other posts on the forum.

I've taken the electric fan out of a standard radiator fan shroud and used it in my mechanical clutch fan shroud. They're identical.

I like the idea of the larger capacity ****** pan but if I was changing mine I'd install a transmission temp sensor in it.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...Heres the background info that your missing:
-Its an 05 limited so yes to the evic
-I dont currently have a trailer so if/when I buy one, I will be able to factor in the capabilities of the jeep when choosing one.
-I'm comfortable doing any install myself, so labor cost is not an issue

You're in good shape. Your Libby has a ****** cooler and probably a power steering cooler (more appropriate for off-road than towing) and since you have the EVIC you only need the standard 7-pin trailer harness mentioned in my earlier post - and of course the hitch itself. If you go with electric brakes on the horse trailer the brake controller wire is already in the Jeep's electrical panel to the left of the brake pedal or possibly taped to the underside of the steering column. Take a look at the linked post for more details on finding that.

What you don't have is the heavy-duty cooling package - but like I stated in the earlier post that has more to do with pulling more cool air over the ****** cooler than the radiator. That said it is fairly straightforward to add an aftermarket ****** cooler to your Jeep in addition to the factory cooler that's already there.

The hitch install is 6 bolts and you're done (the nuts are welded into the frame - may have to clean them out), the wiring is plug-n-play once you pull back the right-rear interior panel, and the brake controller is easy to install following the manufacturer's directions. My strong suggestion is that you go with the 7-pin harness vs the flat-4 as you have many more towing options with the 7-pin. The flat-4 connection will never enable you to have electric brakes or power to the trailer without an additional harness. Save yourself the aggravation by going with the Mopar 7-pin now...

Getting your Libby set for towing is really quite easy as mods/additions go. Scour your local salvage yards for a Mopar 2" receiver hitch if you want to go factory or check etrailer.com for the DrawTite Class III hitch for an '02-'07 Liberty. There's even a video of the DrawTite install on your year's Liberty on that page...

Is a trailer hitch and wiring in your plans for this weekend...? :party52:

Bob

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is a trailer hitch and wiring in your plans for this weekend...? :party52:

Bob

I'm not in any great hurry right now on this, since I dont even own a trailer, but I will start keeping an eye out for good deals on the hitch and maybe a supplemental cooler.

Bob, I really appreciate the effort youve put into your replies. I am a member on a few other forums and would have been flamed for asking questions easily answered by search.
I read the how-to and that is a great thread as well, I now feel pretty comfortable with this project.

I'm getting the idea the fan mod might not really be necessary, especially if additional ****** cooling is used...thoughts anyone?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting the idea the fan mod might not really be necessary, especially if additional ****** cooling is used...thoughts anyone?

Well, I'll pipe in again...:smoke2:

Don't worry about the HD fan kit. tjkj2002 - a member with a SERIOUSLY built KJ - towed just under 5000lbs in the Rockies without the HD fan before he did the full build-out on his Jeep and had no problems. He does have a 28,000lb GVW ****** cooler on his so his trans temps never went above 180.

If you're pulling a horse trailer in flatter country than Troy did in his example you won't have problems with trans temps if you do add an aftermarket cooler. Derale makes one for the Libby for just $60 for trailers up to 6000lbs GTW which will take care of you. Pretty cheap ****** insurance...

In my experience..."the challenge with towing isn't the going but the slowing." Getting a trailer to come to a safe stop is far more difficult than getting it up to 70mph so budget for a brake controller ($100) and a horse trailer with electric brakes and you'll really enjoy using the Libby as your tow vehicle.

Bob

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After the 1st part of '03 when they started putting the 42RLE auto trans in the KJ's instead of the 45RFE(besides CRD's) the in-radiator trans cooler also disappeared as the 42RLE uses a stand alone trans cooler mounted in front of the radiator.

A stand alone trans cooler has big disadvantages..........

--unable to effectively control temp spikes,towing and wheeling
--located in a bad spot in the KJ
--longer trans warmup times in cold weather

The only good thing is you will never have to worry about ATF in the coolant or coolant in your trans,also can be mounted for better airflow.

The in-radiator cooler has big advantages............

--very effective at controlling temp spikes
--faster trans warmup times,even in extreme cold weather

But has some bad disadvantages............

--fluids can mix if a leak forms in the cooler mounted in the radiator side tank
--if your engine overheats,looses coolant,then your trans also overheats which is very bad

The best solution is a in-radiator trans cooler that is then looped to a stand alone AUX trans cooler before sending the ATF back to the trans.Best of both worlds,granted the disadvantages of the in-radiator coolers is really not that big of a issue,granted the overheating one is but can be caught before a major issues result with a driver with common sense.

Doublecardan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention earlier, when you get the trailer, try and make sure that you get the proper mirrors for the kj, there is nothing more dangerous than some 'billy big rig' driving down the highway with his, ranger, mazda, or liberty or anything that is very narrow, towing a wide trailer and cannot see properly on either side.