Trailer towing stupidity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Libertard2k6

Reaction score
I built this trailer into a full on tow behind camper for my wife and myself and our son. I ended up being called back to Florida by my job so we packed a three bedroom house in to this 12x5 trailer, the liberty, and my grandfathers sprinter van and headed down 65 south to Florida. In case anyone was wondering what it’s like to tow an overloaded 12x5 cargo trailer through the mountains in the dark while it’s p*ssing down rain, it was sketchy to say the least, and I wouldn’t recommend it, for everyone curious about towing capabilities of your liberty, I have a mostly stock 06 65th anniversary liberty 3.7l v6, the trailer fully loaded weighed in just over 6300lbs, so 1300lbs over max rated towing capacity, but I made the mistake of not weighing it until the day I was scheduled to leave and being that I had to be in Florida in a hurry I said what’s the worst that could happen, I’m glad to say the jeep handled it like a champ. I didn’t have any problems maintaining speed or even accelerating to reach speed even in the mountains, the only issue I had was on the 6% grade coming down, the trailer kept pushing the little jeep and now I have to change pads and rotors again, and the trailer started to sway and pull the rear end of the jeep around at speeds over 60mph. So again I’m saying don’t be stupid like me, weigh your trailer, don’t over load it, don’t tow something longer and heavier than your jeep, especially without trailer brakes, luckily I had a WD hitch and a cheap sway bar from harbor freight or I might not have made it.

Attachments

• 9305817A-AF5B-4DE5-915F-79D0FC2FBAB9.jpeg
    9305817A-AF5B-4DE5-915F-79D0FC2FBAB9.jpeg
    329.6 KB · Views: 32

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
That is a lot of extra weight for the KJ to pull. Did you have the HD cooling package with viscous fan, shroud?
I wish I had trailer brakes too as my boat sure pushes the KJ around downhill, I have to keep it under 55mph.
Besides new brakes, I'd consider dropping the transmission pan, filter, with new ATF+4 fluid.

Libertard2k6

Reaction score
That is a lot of extra weight for the KJ to pull. Did you have the HD cooling package with viscous fan, shroud?
I wish I had trailer brakes too as my boat sure pushes the KJ around downhill, I have to keep it under 55mph.
Besides new brakes, I'd consider dropping the transmission pan, filter, with new ATF+4 fluid.
Yea when I bought the jeep it had the factory tow package installed, so far on the list of things to fix from the trip, I have pads and rotors, my drivers side wheel bearing has started making a little noise so that’s on there as well, and I planned on doing a trans filter in the future anyway so I’ll probably just do it this week when I do the rest. Trailer brakes would have helped tremendously lol, I’ve never been so worried about breaking distance in my life as I was coming down that steep grade

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will always be an advocate for, if it's got wheels rolling it needs brakes, regardless of size.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The PML 42RLE transmission pan stays cool compared to stamp steel pans.
Machined aluminum, and 42RLE LubeLocker Gasket seals perfectly. Never leaked again.
Of course a Transmission skid plate is also installed.
You must be registered for see images attach