Question about Fuel Pump replace

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I know this is the KJ side, but probably more KJ’s have needed fuel pumps than KK’s by now, so that’s my strategy for posting here.

I have been having what I think is low fuel pressure when the engine is hot, sort of like a vapor lock situation. If I turn the key to RUN, and the pump primes before I try starting it, usually it will start up. My fuel pump is likely tired at 188K miles and leaky internal seals may let gas flow backwards by gravity into the tank when parked.

I picked up a Mopar fuel pump today at my local junkyard with only 80,000 miles on it. It looks in good shape.

53-C196-CC-B6-F6-406-F-93-B9-4-F349-BCF9-C96.jpg

However, it looks like it’s been on a warehouse shelf for a while and has dirt and dust inside.

C49-A9240-8-D0-D-4634-B377-61673-BF19-C60.jpg

Question:
How do you clean that crud out? Will brake cleaner be safe for the seals? Carb cleaner? Throttle body cleaner? WD-40? Isopropyl alcohol?

I ordered a new Mopar lock ring and gasket seal for the fuel tank so we won’t have any issues with leaks.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I know this is the KJ side, but probably more KJ’s have needed fuel pumps than KK’s by now, so that’s my strategy for posting here.

I have been having what I think is low fuel pressure when the engine is hot, sort of like a vapor lock situation. If I turn the key to RUN, and the pump primes before I try starting it, usually it will start up. My fuel pump is likely tired at 188K miles and leaky internal seals may let gas flow backwards by gravity into the tank when parked.

I picked up a Mopar fuel pump today at my local junkyard with only 80,000 miles on it. It looks in good shape.

53-C196-CC-B6-F6-406-F-93-B9-4-F349-BCF9-C96.jpg

However, it looks like it’s been on a warehouse shelf for a while and has dirt and dust inside.

C49-A9240-8-D0-D-4634-B377-61673-BF19-C60.jpg

Question:
How do you clean that crud out? Will brake cleaner be safe for the seals? Carb cleaner? Throttle body cleaner? WD-40? Isopropyl alcohol?

I ordered a new Mopar lock ring and gasket seal for the fuel tank so we won’t have any issues with leaks.

Thanks in advance.
Brake cleaner will soften and dissolve plastic and match rubber stuff. I recommend a wash with marvel mystery oil cut with Heat. Ratio of 2 to one. If you have access to 95% ETOH it will work well too, but again I’d add some MMO to the solution. Straight MEOH or ETOH might dry the seals out when used alone.

blackhawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always used carb cleaner, so for me it brings good outcomes!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.