Possible Recall 2002-2007?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so from the recall notice i got today they say
if you already have a hitch installed (factory) they will inspect and replace the two most rearward bolts free of charge

what is this for?
i have a skid plate and hitch so i feel safe, but are they installing stronger bolts?

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have to tighten my hitch down, going to do that tomorrow, noticed since I had it installed I get this insane squeak coming from the back when I get a perfect storm of conditions during turns with the Jeep.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Makes me wonder if they did your rear LCAs or has that been done already.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, had that done in Feb, and I had to go back the same day they were done because the bolts were not tightened down on both arms. Gonna take the torque wrench to the hitch bolts on Saturday when I only work half a day. See if that helps out, lubed up all the hinges which hasn't worked. So I'm trying track down what it is that is making the noise.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so from the recall notice i got today they say
if you already have a hitch installed (factory) they will inspect and replace the two most rearward bolts free of charge

what is this for?
i have a skid plate and hitch so i feel safe, but are they installing stronger bolts?
If the correct bolts were used then they would be grade 10.9 bolts,equal in grade to grade 8 bolts(SAE bolts).Those aftermarket hitches will come with metric grade 8.8 bolts that are equal to grade 5 bolts.Grade 8.8(grade 5) bolts will totally fail before a metric grade 10.9(grade 8) bolts even start to deform.

There is metric grade 12.9 bolts but those are to brittle for the type of impacts the hitch may see,strong but brittle.Then you can go titanium(forget what grade of alloy) that is 5-10 times stronger but not brittle like 12.9 metric bolts but cost 50 times as much as 10.9's.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Titanium bolts Troy....$$$ !
Oh ya I forgot..your KJ build is similar to the space shuttle.... :icon_lol:
I wonder how much you would actually pay for the Titanium bolts for the hitch each ??

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I would say that was money well spent cause you now shouldn't have to worry too much about hearing snap/bang crunch !!
You really tweaked my interest in Titanium bolts now..for the hitch LOL...
How much do you think they might cost?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
hitch works just as well. Just need a D-ring adapter.
That's what I'm going to add sometime. They have them at Harbor Freight for about $10. They also have the hook type as well.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I'm going to add sometime. They have them at Harbor Freight for about $10. They also have the hook type as well.

Avoid HF for this.... I took a look at theirs and it was kinda cheap. Quality didn't look up to ***** for something that has to pull a Jeep out of mud. I ended up with s*ittybuilt but its really solid and had good reviews. I have one for the front and rear.

Edit: OH! and I "tested" it myself as well haha

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
The ones I looked at looked decent. On the other hand, I have never actually had to use one in a pinch. :icon_lol:

When I get a chance I'll check out the SmB and see if I can tell the difference.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Buy the Best & it Won't snap like the rest? :whip: :icon_lol:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The ones I looked at looked decent. On the other hand, I have never actually had to use one in a pinch. :icon_lol:

When I get a chance I'll check out the SmB and see if I can tell the difference.

Take the end of your strap, push it back in the receiver , install the pin through the loop,......done
With that said I have 2 or 3 Warns and other name brand, hevy duty , strong as he** and will last a lifetime. Cheaper ones are good for 4 wheelers ....maybe

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the new hitch installed last week and it works fine. I still have the Curt hitch that I took off prior to taking it to the dealer. Has anyone modified a rear receiver to fit in the front? Does anyone have the measurements of a front mount receiver? Thinking of a possible project...

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the new hitch installed last week and it works fine. I still have the Curt hitch that I took off prior to taking it to the dealer. Has anyone modified a rear receiver to fit in the front? Does anyone have the measurements of a front mount receiver? Thinking of a possible project...

Curt makes one. I use it :)
Front Hitch by Curt for 2003 Liberty - C31022

scrappy76

Reaction score
I had mine installed the other day. After I gave the guy the keys, he proceeds to tell me its not a hitch and its not made for towing. He said its just a bracket to protect the tank. I told him that is not what I was told, I was told it was a hitch. So another service person tells me it is a hitch so I asked to see what they were installing. Looked like a hitch to me, install it please.
I got the letter also. I can understand the liability of them saying they are installing something that you can tow with especially if your liberty is not set up for towing, but why didnt they just install a bar just like a hitch but without the receiver part ? That way they would know for sure you didnt tow with it.
And of coarse if you wanted to tow with the vehicle, you could still remove this bar and install your own hitch and accesories and all the liability would fall on the owner, not chrysler, cause they did what they were supposed to do and it was the owner who changed it. :shrug:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I just hauled a 5x8 U-Haul 400 miles from Ohio to Virginia using my "Not A Hitch". By the way, the dealer where mine was done never told me that it "wasn't" for towing, in fact we even discussed the other stuff I'd need to complete the tow package. It is a factory OEM receiver.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer had to have me inspect it for rust before ordering the hitch. I took it in yesterday and of course there was no rust. So he said it will be two weeks or so before they will call me to install it. :)