Possible Recall 2002-2007?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THEY installed the hitch on the wife's Liberty and then handed her a paper saying the hitch is not to be used as a hitch.
It is not designed to pull a trailer and her Liberty does not have the "EXTRA PARTS" needed to make it able to be used as a tow vehicle.

I told her that it was not only impossible to install a hitch you can't use but the liability attached to it would be horrendous.
She showed me the paper and that was basically what it said.

I haven't gotten into it deeper but I am.
HOW can you install a hitch on the back of a vehicle and then say do not use it because it won't work as a hitch. If that was the case they could just bolt in reinforcing and not make it a "hitch"

just curious if anyone else got a disclaimer like that?

scan and post please.

cdh1125

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is proving to be interesting. First dealer couldn't give me a price to install wiring for the hitch. Called a second dealer to be told that it wasn't recommended for towing and basically not to wire it. If its not for towing why does it say not to drive around with the ball in place, why would you put a ball on it if its not for towing?

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason they say it isn't for towing is for liabilty reasons, if your Jeep didn't come with tow package they don't want a bunch of people thinking they can now tow stuff just because they have a hitch, if you were to upgrade your setup to HD cooling you should be fine to tow whatever it is you want.

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol, ok......do you seriously think a multi billion dollar company like Chrysler would install a hitch that is inadequate as part of a safety recall??

Last edited:

nwguy

Reaction score
HERE is letter

HERE IS LETTER

You must be registered for see images

I can't get it to post, maybe one of you computer guys can do it.
The site will take you to the letter.

Last edited:

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol, ok......do you seriously think a multi billion dollar company like Chrysler would install a hitch that is inadequate as part of a safety recall??

Not quite sure I understand what your trying to say or for that matter I don't think you understand what I am saying so we shall leave it at that. :ROFLJest:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
This whole towing thing has gotten to be the biggest joke ever. People who never ever towed anything before, now suddenly want to tow something just cause they got a stinkin' F R E E hitch. :happy175:
For the record I don't have the towing package but have two trailers I tow all the time . The VERY first trip I made after mine was dropped off with less than 100 miles on her was right after I installed a hitch, hooked up a loaded 6 X 10 trailer and drove 5 hours north.
If you want to tow, then do it, just use common sense
The H*** with Chrysler its your KJ

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
TRY ONE more time.

And so this means what? You're not going to tow with it?
If this were true THEN no aftermarket company would of ever been allowed to sell anyone with out a tow package a hitch since 2002
They are just covering their behinds since there are so many sue happy stupid people in the world :Bye:

nwguy

Reaction score
And so this means what? You're not going to tow with it?
If this were true THEN no aftermarket company would of ever been allowed to sell anyone with out a tow package a hitch since 2002
They are just covering their behinds since there are so many sue happy stupid people in the world :Bye:

NO, not that at all.
I never relied on her Liberty for anything anyway. I have a Ram 1500 and a 2000 Cherokee for my towing work, just raising the bit that they said "do not tow with our tow hitch we installed."

I thought it was weird and was wondering if anyone else got the same thing.

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NO, not that at all.
I never relied on her Liberty for anything anyway. I have a Ram 1500 and a 2000 Cherokee for my towing work, just raising the bit that they said "do not tow with our tow hitch we installed."

I thought it was weird and was wondering if anyone else got the same thing.

Its just a liability thing, Someone without the proper tow package or someone with a 4 cyl reads "Rated to 5000lbs" on their hitch decides to tow a 5000lb trailer and gets into an accident or something else this now falls on the dealer, Trust me when I say this kind of stuff actually happens, Kinda why there was a warning with my chainsaw saying "Do not hold the wrong end of the chainsaw", Just look at Liebeck v. McDonald's Restaurants as an example.

supafly

Reaction score
So I rang up Chrysler last week since I was going to install a hitch anyway but heard about the recall and decided why not get it done for free by Chrysler.

The guy on the phone confirmed that I shouldn't actually use it to tow anything, so.. has anyone actually towed anything with their replacement hitch?

Is it just that it's not officially rated or is it a piece of crap hitch?

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I rang up Chrysler last week since I was going to install a hitch anyway but heard about the recall and decided why not get it done for free by Chrysler.

The guy on the phone confirmed that I shouldn't actually use it to tow anything, so.. has anyone actually towed anything with their replacement hitch?

I just got pulled out of a mud pit with mine. It's real. It works.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Its a real hitch , Chrysler is covering its own behind since people are coming out of the wood work for a free hitch. The issue becomes when someone sees 5000 lb they think automatically that they can in fact tow that amount with their, not knowing if they have a tow package or not