Please Post Head Unit Pics!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beartard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a sirius connect home car dock with a starmate 4 in it. That way, I could get headunit-controlled satrad, and just yank the receiver out and take it inside at home. The receiver was mounted on the side of the driver's seat.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showpost.php?p=343479&postcount=1

There's probably enough room to mount that sirius connect tuner and the alpine adapter above the driver's side "kick panel" above the pedals, making sure the wires are tied down well enough to avoid the pedals. Another option is under the center console junk box.

Btw, you'll have no problems re-using your XM antenna, as long as it's in good shape. Sirius "micro dot" antennas are notorious for corroding in the weather.

Last edited:

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool. I looked at the dock-and-play stuff,but decided since I'm getting online radio too anyway (for work) it wouldnt be necessary & would add an unnecessary layer of complication. I do like how you did yours tho, clever.

Have to see what tonight brings. If I can re-use the antenna, it makes the project way easier. Thinkin under the center console would be best bet, as I have a few things already clunkin around behind the drivers panel there.

Hopefully you'll see a Pro-Clip in the for-sale section soon :)

-Blu

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Getting rid of XM and that hideous tuner finally. Gotta hide these two things somewhere.

Alpine to Sirius adapter
You must be registered for see images attach

SC-C1 Sirius tuner.

I'm going to likely try my XM antenna and see how it goes. If it works okay for now, I'll likely leave it there.

Anyone done this? Trying to remember how much room is behind the radio...

-Blu

I've got that set up. I put the alpine adapter behind the radio on the left side and the sat adapter behind the instrument cluster just to the right of the fuse box.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha, check out the FLIP style date and time clock/calender look...

I know.. I dig on that clock. It's beawesome. :)

Got it done over the weekend and into today. Ended up mounting it in the center console, more for convenience in installation than anything else. The XM antenna had a different connector than the Sirius. In truth, it may have been the same connector surrounded by useless purple plastic, but after reading about some of the difference in how they are tuned (being a ham) I decided to re-fish the new Sirius one. The xm antenna sacrificed itself to pull the Sirius one through, and it made the process about a million times easier than I remember for pulling it through initially.

Got it activated today, even talked the dude out of waiving the activation fee (which frankly to me is insulting.)

Haven't really used it enough yet to post thoughts on it yet; if there's interest I could later.

-Blu

beartard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The XM antenna had a different connector than the Sirius. In truth, it may have been the same connector surrounded by useless purple plastic, but after reading about some of the difference in how they are tuned (being a ham) I decided to re-fish the new Sirius one.

You had an older-style FAKRA connector. They're the same SMB underneath all the plastic and neither service uses the older style anymore, except maybe in OEM installations. It's a throwback to when XM units had two antenna inputs and two, color-coded cables coming from the antenna.

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know.. I dig on that clock. It's beawesome. :)

Got it done over the weekend and into today. Ended up mounting it in the center console, more for convenience in installation than anything else. The XM antenna had a different connector than the Sirius. In truth, it may have been the same connector surrounded by useless purple plastic, but after reading about some of the difference in how they are tuned (being a ham) I decided to re-fish the new Sirius one. The xm antenna sacrificed itself to pull the Sirius one through, and it made the process about a million times easier than I remember for pulling it through initially.

Got it activated today, even talked the dude out of waiving the activation fee (which frankly to me is insulting.)

Haven't really used it enough yet to post thoughts on it yet; if there's interest I could later.

-Blu

Is there any after pics? I found it about a million times cleaner looking/feeling in the cab once I got mine all wired up.

Attachments

• Photo_120409_001.jpg
    Photo_120409_001.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 34

Midgear

Reaction score
I know a lot of people aren't big on Sony but i have this and it sounds good has all the features I needed - built in blue tooth, external mic, ipod controls and aux/usb, as well as 3 preamp outputs...

the down side is that the USB is in the front, and that the dimmer is not automatic.

I just installed this one in my Jeep lol, it sounded GREAT in my car, now to wait on the connector to come in tomorrow so I get get it all wired in and tuned. I love how well my iPhone works with it.

uctke283

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed this one in my Jeep lol, it sounded GREAT in my car, now to wait on the connector to come in tomorrow so I get get it all wired in and tuned. I love how well my iPhone works with it.

yes, it is great with the iPhone... no cords and the bluetooth streaming is awesome...

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am loving the bluetooth with my Blackberry 8330 and the JVC headunit. I just wish I could get the handsfree phone portion of it to sound good. My wife swears she can't hear much of anything. I've played with the microphone position.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am loving the bluetooth with my Blackberry 8330 and the JVC headunit. I just wish I could get the handsfree phone portion of it to sound good. My wife swears she can't hear much of anything. I've played with the microphone position.

Try Slacker, you will love the sound quality. Also the song selection is much better than Pandora. In addition, I am using my AUX-IN on my radio with my 9700 and it is amazing. There is no echo to the other side at all thanks to advanced noise cancellation (voice focus) of 9700. I am rolling with the Slacker on Top Hits channel, when a call comes it, radio (slacker) mutes, and I just hit the speaker button ($) and instant hands free. :)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes, it is great with the iPhone... no cords and the bluetooth streaming is awesome...

Is that 3GS or the new OS? I remember older ones did not have A2DP.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check this baby:

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-31045_1-10428238-269.html

Pandora controlling head unit.
Probably multiple additions are possible with software revision, and they could have probably done it on earlier models, but they rather sell new units.. The problem, it only works with iphone.. no blackberry love. :(

beartard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's one of the best innovations I've seen so far. If they supported Android, I'd be all over it.

Still, I can skip songs using the playback controls on my headunit now, when my android phone is connected by bluetooth and pandora is streaming.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's one of the best innovations I've seen so far. If they supported Android, I'd be all over it.

Still, I can skip songs using the playback controls on my headunit now, when my android phone is connected by bluetooth and pandora is streaming.

I can't skip Pandora or Slacker, but I can control anything on the media card on my Blackberry via the HU.

cwatson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a couple pics of mine (same JVC as the one posted above).

Beartard...just noticed you're rocking out to The Briggs. Saw them open for BR a few years ago & I've been hooked ever since.

I just installed a new HU yesterday & I'm loving it.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Support/CarAudioVideo/In-Dash/CD-Players/ci.DEH-11E.Support

Paid $65+shipping on amazon, prob spent around $100 total after I picked up the harness, kit, antenna adaptor & ipod cord. Not a bad deal, and the factory speakers sound 10X better...though I've got the "bug" now and I'll more than likely be getting some new speakers/amp/sub very soon.

I'll take some pics tomorrow.