pictures 16x8 Cragar Soft 8's w/245/70r16 General AT2's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kayadog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey-- Before and after. 16x8 Cragar Soft 8 5"BS with 245/70r16 general Grabber AT2's.

They really fill out the wheel wells nicely and my Lib finally looks like a real Jeep. They are very quiet and make the Jeep ride quite a bit smoother and stick to the road better. I love the way they look. Its definitely not cute any more.

I chose to skip the center caps and painted the hubs black.

The tires and wheels do feel "heavy" so we'll see how it does as far as MPG.

They do kiss the pinch weld so I may have to deal with that.

My only complaint is that the Cragar's got pretty banged up in shipping from Summit Racing.

The after is in the next thread.

Last edited:

kayadog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after shot

after shot:

Attachments

• October 15th 028 Quick e-mail view.jpg
    October 15th 028 Quick e-mail view.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 202

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks great. I really like the look that the blacked out rims give the KJ.

kayadog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everthing I read said that the 16x7 (4" backspace) space the tires too far out. As it is they are just about flush with the outside of the flare. I was surprised these rub since people run the 16x8 Moabs with 5" Backspace with no rubbing. So far the rubbing is minor, but if its a problem folding back the pinch weld doesn't see like too much of a challenge.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, what a difference. Could you please take a picture from the rear and one from the front so we can see how they look from the profile.

Thanks.

kayadog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No lift.

I'll take some more pictures and post them later.

I can't feel or hear any rubbing, but I can see where the front tires have rubbed the plastic cladding on the pinch weld and a little in the front. So far its not a problem though, and no rubbing in the back.

kayadog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's some more shots. I had to delete the before to fit them.

The pictures don't do justice to how much more aggressive it looks.

The ride and handling are improved, and the rubbing is very minor so far.

I did lose a little acceleration though.

Attachments

• October 15th 032 Small Web view.jpg
    October 15th 032 Small Web view.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 123
  • October 15th 033 Quick e-mail view Small Web view.jpg
    October 15th 033 Quick e-mail view Small Web view.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 121

kayadog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually they do rub

Hi-- When I hit a bunp at speed, like pulling into a lot with a steep ramp, the rears rub pretty bad. No damage but a bad sound. I am going to do some trimming tomorrow, but I may need a small lift.

DryBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you would have gone with the 16x7 soft 8's you would not have the rub problems and would have been cheaper to.

what is the maximum size tire that will fit a 16x7 soft 8 without rubbing/ no lift? Already planning on some 235/70r16 but can I go a bit bigger?

kayadog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 16x7 soft 8 has 4" backspace-- I think that would really push the tires pretty far out. I think the outside of the tires would be outside the flares.

DryBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so 16x7 with 235/70r16 BFG's or Yokahama's should work just fine on my no lift Limited?

what am I thinking? thats the factory standard size...DUH! DOH! loser.gif

Last edited:

kayadog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Soft 8 397 Series Wheel
Finish: Black
Size: 16'' x 7''
Bolt Circle: 5 x 4-1/2''
Rear Spacing: 4''

If you can find 4.5" like TJJK2002 says that's probably a better call. Judging by his KJ he probably knows a whole lot more about this than I do.

Somewhere on here or lostkj there are pictures of a stock KJ with 225/70r16 BFG's on the 16x7 Cragars and the guy says they barely fit. I couldn't find them but you might take a look.

I think the 16x8 rims make the tire wider so that might be what my problem is and 16x7 rims might be better.

I am going to add a 1" lift in back.

Last edited: