255/70 tires on stock six spoke alloy rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After a phone conversation with All-J they claim that I won't be able to mount 265 or 255/70R16 tires on my stock KJ alloy six spoke rims even after installing the 3" OME/Bilstein+JBA top plates/rear isos lift kit as there will be lots of rubbing and my ONLY option is 245/75R16 - but those are almost not available in 4-ply (or at least not the General Grabber AT2 that I wanted).

They said that even pounding the pinch weld won't be enough - maybe they didn't get my description of the wheels I have or some other mistake.

I don't want to spend additional $$ on replacing wheels as it'll throw me out of budget here: the tires run average 150$ per x5 + installation/S&H/taxes and I am close to another grand (on top of 1k$ on lift parts + ~500$ install)

Here's a pic of my truck as it is - you can clearly see the alloy wheels, please let me know if there's some mistake here or if I really can't enjoy my new lift with 265-255/70R16 tires mounted on these wheels?? :icon_cry:

You must be registered for see images attach

PS
called a bunch of shops around CA bay area before calling All-J - nobody has an idea about KJs, some even laughed at me "why would you want to lift a jeep liberty?!?!" :****: what a sh!tshow.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The section width and tread width is what will cause you issues with a 255-70-16 on a 7 inch wheel with stock backspacing
YOU could do like some and run spacers which would sit the tire out far enough not to rub
Spidertrax 1.5 inch spacers

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score

265/70/16 on factory 7 inch wheels. Haven't pounded the pinch weld. But will have to when I get the Moab wheels. But Not rubbing it at the moment But at almost full turn the tire sidewall does rub the UCA

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good, do the factory 5 spokes wheels has the same backspacing/specs of the 6 spokes I have? Anybody got the specs on those?

I do believe that pounding the pinch weld should be enough not sure why All-J is scaring me.

265/70/16 on factory 7 inch wheels. Haven't pounded the pinch weld. But will have to when I get the Moab wheels. But Not rubbing it at the moment But at almost full turn the tire sidewall does rub the UCA

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They want to sale more stuff. A

You should be fine with the 255s. They are a .5 inch shorter and right at a .5 narrower.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks good, do the factory 5 spokes wheels has the same backspacing/specs of the 6 spokes I have? Anybody got the specs on those?

I do believe that pounding the pinch weld should be enough not sure why All-J is scaring me.

Not scaring you , one of the most knowledgeable places for the KJs . THEY do know what they are talking about
All 16 inch KJ wheels have the same backspacing

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the stock 5 spoke alloys with 265/70/16's. I don't know what lift is on it, was already done when I bought it, but it's about 2.5"-3". I had to beat the pinch welds over and add some weld to the lower control arms where the steering stop is to stop MOST of the rubbing. It still rubs the sway bar at full lock though. I haven't been off-road, but for on-road use I haven't had any problems at all.

You must be registered for see images

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight & info, very lovely looking KJ your got there.
So I think I'd go with P255s + pounding the weld to prevent any rubbing

I have the stock 5 spoke alloys with 265/70/16's. I don't know what lift is on it, was already done when I bought it, but it's about 2.5"-3". I had to beat the pinch welds over and add some weld to the lower control arms where the steering stop is to stop MOST of the rubbing. It still rubs the sway bar at full lock though. I haven't been off-road, but for on-road use I haven't had any problems at all.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

BUT you have spacers on yours, or looks like it anyways . Stock wheels do not sit that far out and even with the flare

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight & info, very lovely looking KJ your got there.
So I think I'd go with P255s + pounding the weld to prevent any rubbing

Slow down a bit there,
find out if he has spacers , since stock wheels don't sit that far out

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have 255/70/16 on a 16x7 with 4 inch backspace and with 3+ inches of lift, some trimming and shaping still get rubbing at full turn in reverse with very minor flex......before all the trimming and pushing back there was lots of rubbing

Attachments

• FullSizeRender(2).jpg
    FullSizeRender(2).jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 38

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure looks like you do since stock wheels do not sit out that far

No sir. The pic is the face of the rotor (where pads rub), the rotor hub, and the wheel hub. It had 235/70 on when I bought it. I'll get more pics today on how both sides sit. Plus try to get some measurements.

Now, it has been in 4 accidents in its lifetime prior to my purchase. Maybe that has helped gain some clearance. :emotions34: Who knows really, but is possible.

Latest posts

Members online