Fitment help: 265/70 on 16x8 with 0mm offset, 2.5" lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Its the outward dimension that worries me, conflicting with the upper flare when articulating and the flare sides when turning. Does anyone have any advice or experience with this tire with this offset on a 2.5" lift? I'll pound the pinch weld over but after that, can I handle the fit with just a heatgun or what?

Obviously a lot of folks run this tire size, but the rim offset is still a variable that worries me. Also it seems like most folks are lifting to 3 or 3.5" above stock. I'd prefer to keep it at 2.5" without adding iso/spaces/plates. Stock UCA's.

Its been a rollercoaster of a parts-sourcing endeavour these last two months. Finally I got all the springs and shocks. (stock issues, delays, refunds, lost shipping) After weeks of trying to source any kind of 16x7, 0mm offset (=4" BS) rim in Canada, I finally found a set. They arrived last week and to my dismay, they do not accept centering rings... damn. No other options in this dimension are available, steel or alloy. (I've called most major parts supplier in the country) This is my daily driver so a balanced wheel without vibration is important to me (= need hub-centering rings)

I can get 16x8, 0mm offset rims (=4.5" BS).
No dice on anything like 16x8, +13mm offset (=5" BS). This is the Moab rim dimension.
Ordering from the US is not really an option.

I'll be running Falken AT3W's. Actually already received a 245/75 set but now that I'm looking at an 8" rim, I'm considering sending them back for a 265/70 set. But my alternative is to keep the 245/75 and mount them to the 8".

Check out these fitment specs comparing the 265/70 on a +0mm vs +13mm offset. As you can intuit, the wheel sits a full 0.5" further out. The inside clearance looks good. The 245/75 at +0mm has the same outward dimension, ~2" out from stock.
https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/

Thanks in advance!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I would never run an 8 inch wheel with 4 inches of backspacing with 265-70-16s on 2.5 inches of lift
Even with the pinch weld pounded flat, it's going rub rub when turning ( in front ) and will need extra bumpstops in the rear
Wheel/tire combo will sit out an inch past the flares, no a heat gun etc is useless in this case
Sure you can heat and bend the front inner parts of the wheelwell but that is only a small part of the overall issue
stick with a 7 inch wide wheel with 4 inches of backspacing and the 245-75-16s you have currently

Reaction score
Thanks @tommudd !
But like I said, I've exhausted my 7" rim options. (Unless I wait out covid and drive to the US)
That leads me to try mounting the 245/75 to the 8" rim. At 4.5" backspace it is centred the same as a 7" rim with 4" backspace (0mm offset). And the tire width doesn't change so in my mind the tire outer is in the same position with either the 7" or 8" rim.

In your signature, @tommudd , your '03 KJ says 265/70 on Moabs with 2.5" lift. So doesn't that mean its only 0.5" difference we're talking about? Or was yours a tricky fitment too..?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You are not looking at 4.5 inches of backspacing , you are looking at 4 inches
plus same issues
Isn't anyone shipping to Canada now ??
Mine was not a tricky fit, I have Moabs with 5 inches of backspacing
and no it isn't 0.5 difference its an inch
0 mm offset on an 8 inch wheel is 4 inches

plus a 7 inch wide wheel with 4 inches of backspacing is not 0 mm backspacing
3.5 inches would be

wheel/tire combo sit in the wheelwell the very same in both the 8 inch wide / 5 inches of backspacing and the 7 inch wide with 4 inches of backspacing
sit exactly the same

Reaction score
Thanks man. I had seen that before too. But at $245+tax ea I didn't consider it an option. Interestingly there appears to be no other options with 8" width and 5" backspace, steel or alloy.

I was hoping someone would say that the 4.5" backspacing isn't a deal breaker. The vehicle is going to be tested on the trails and I don't want to invest in a wheel setup that ends up needing additional bumpstops due to a painful conflict with the flare.

I reckon lots of folks are running 8" rims on non-moabs. But there is a difference between looking good and fully functional. hard to get the data...
What I'm hearing from @tommudd is that 3" of "frontspacing" (8" wide minus 5" BS) is the practical limit to clearing flares and getting into the well.

These questions would be dead simple haha if only I could test a couple of options and observe the angle which the wheel tucks up and rotate into. but alas! interweb theory is all most of us have ;)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I've only been building KJs for the last 16 years, over 60 KJ lifts done at my place with many tire/wheel setups over that time
NOW you can run say an 8 inch wide wheel with 4 inches of backspacing , but you will lose rear flex especially.
For example on the 04 with Moabs and 265-75-16s I can stuff them clear up into the wheelwell
but if you go with that 4 inch backspaced wheel you will lose at least 2-3 inches of travel and need to run about 3, maybe 4 inches of bumpstop
and there is no 3 inches of frontspacing , mention that in a wheel and tire shop you'll get laughed out the door ( sorry have seen it first hand )

Reaction score
ha yea an invented term I know. Just trying to make sense of the clearance between mount point and the fender. Trying to get it right with whats available. Thanks for the input.