oil leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJSKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
04 Renegade w/ 64k is leaking oil. Fairly slow leak, about 1 qt the past 3 months. Before I start digging around I was wondering what the typical leak points are on the Liberty: main seal, oil pan,... This leak is in addition to the strange engine codes (171 & 172) I am getting. I know they are not related, but I am wondering how much money I am going to put into this?
Oh yeah, BOOO!

DJ

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
A white drop sheet under the Jeep can show how much & what's a leakin and approximately where it's drippin from. (ask me how I know)
The best thing to do is get it up on a lift and inspect the suspect seals locations.
On KJ the common easy locations to repair are the oil filter seal, above is the oil pressure sending unit, valve covers. The pan drain plug, and worst is the actual pan gasket/main seals.
Re: P0171 etc...fuel filter or pressure, But I would let TJKJ comment on that.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If possible clean all of the bottom/sides of the engine off real well
Then drive and inspect every few days, an oil leak can be misleading at times since it may get blown around while driving.
Cardboard under where you park will also help locate where "it may" be coming from. after you locate an area then we can help point you into where it maybe coming from

port67

Reaction score
Oil Leak Found

I know this is an old thread but it is the closets I could find to my Oil leak issue. I am not too familiar with the underside of my jeep since its been rock solid and never had an issue that needed me to get under it. with that said I took the jeep to the dealer and got an oil change about two weeks ago. This past weekend I noticed oil on the ground under the jeep. I put it up on ramps and took these pictures. As you can see I suspect it is the oil plug that is leaking but am not sure since there is a lot of oil down wind of the small drip coming off the plug. I am going to take this into the dealer this week and wanted to get a second opinion before they say its something else.

Attachments

• IMAG0575.jpg
    IMAG0575.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMAG0578.jpg
    IMAG0578.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 44

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks like just residual oil around the drain plug. The second pic however has oil dripping from the back of the block; oil wouldn't get blown up there. I'm guessing a rear main seal.

Bob

port67

Reaction score
That looks like just residual oil around the drain plug. The second pic however has oil dripping from the back of the block; oil wouldn't get blown up there. I'm guessing a rear main seal.

Bob

I suspect you are correct. I drove around and got the engine hot than put it up on ramps and wiped down all the oil. After a few hours to cool down I went back and took this picture.

Attachments

• IMAG0580.jpg
    IMAG0580.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 41

port67

Reaction score
Something I should have checked first but didn't:emotions122:was the oil level. Today I went and got rear seal stop leak to put in the Jeep, but before I put it in I wanted to make sure I wouldn't over fill the oil. Pulled the dipstick out and it was 1/2-1/4 inch over the full mark on level ground. Now this is two weeks or so of leaking oil so who knows how much it was originally over filled. Could the dealer over filling the oil cause the real seal to fail, and would draining oil out stop the leak or now that the seal is blown it needs to be replaced?

port67

Reaction score
Just a quick followup. I took the Liberty back to the dealer and told them they over filled the oil. After a long discussion and showing them the pictures they decided to replace the rear main seal for $170.00 down from the list price of $790.00. So now I have a drip free Jeep again.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a quick followup. I took the Liberty back to the dealer and told them they over filled the oil. After a long discussion and showing them the pictures they decided to replace the rear main seal for $170.00 down from the list price of $790.00. So now I have a drip free Jeep again.
Dipsticks are known to be off.

In the pic below is where my oil level is and has been for 87,000 miles.I know that is 5qts as I do my oil changes and leave the drain plug out for about a hour and use the correct sized filter and pour in 5qts.That level is from being checked 1st thing in the morning after leatting sit for 12 hours on level ground.

You must be registered for see images attach