Timing cover leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drcoleman11

Reaction score
Pretty sure I have an oil leak from the timing cover ('05 KJ Sport, V6 Manual Transmission). Found an older post about the same topic and in the replies it was mentioned you can replace an individual seal without removing the entire cover. Unfortunately it doesn't go into any detail on the how and I'm wondering if anyone has gone this route vice removing the entire cover? Link to original post and excerpt below. Thanks!

"The timing cover doesn't have a gasket, per se. Only RTV is used around the cover perimeter so if you have a bad oil leak it is most likely the front main seal. It can be replaced with the cover still on the engine - you can find the appropriate Miller tools on eBay and other places like that. You'll need Tool #'s 8511, 8512, and 8348 to take the old seal out and put the new one in."

"Just replace the front main seal to fix the oil leak and go from there. You'll save yourself a LOT of work."

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you sure it is timing cover ?
I had a guy that thought the same and was just the oil sending unit leaking and blowing oil over that area

drcoleman11

Reaction score
Are you sure it is timing cover ?
I had a guy that thought the same and was just the oil sending unit leaking and blowing oil over that
Not 100% certain yet where the leak is coming from. Tried to do a little cleaning last night but still have a fair amount of gunk to get rid of to really isolate the source. Planning on doing some better cleaning this weekend and then should have a better idea...will post pics after next round of cleaning.

drcoleman11

Reaction score
Not 100% certain yet where the leak is coming from. Tried to do a little cleaning last night but still have a fair amount of gunk to get rid of to really isolate the source. Planning on doing some better cleaning this weekend and then should have a better idea...will post pics after next round of cleaning.
So, I gave it all a good cleaning and decided to make sure things were nice and tight. Both the oil filter and the high pressure power steering line were a little bit loose. I’m assuming those where the causes of the leaks because since then not a single drop, totally dry! The dealer quoted $2k to replace the power steering pump and the timing cover seals (which they thought where the sources of the leaks). Thanks tommudd for the advice! A can of degreaser is much better than $2k with of unneeded repairs!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So, I gave it all a good cleaning and decided to make sure things were nice and tight. Both the oil filter and the high pressure power steering line were a little bit loose. I’m assuming those where the causes of the leaks because since then not a single drop, totally dry! The dealer quoted $2k to replace the power steering pump and the timing cover seals (which they thought where the sources of the leaks). Thanks tommudd for the advice! A can of degreaser is much better than $2k with of unneeded repairs!
Glad you got it taken care of