Help Identifying Oil leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pkc.rip

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where this leak might be coming from? Thought it might've been the oil pan gasket at first but looking further into what people are saying on other threads about leaks in this general area I'm now thinking it may be the front main seal. Just looking to get some more experienced KJ owner's two cents on the matter. No oil leaking on the ground beneath. Sorry for the bad pic, had to take it before my phone died.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 42

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hullo!

Kind of hard to tell from just that pic.

Could be in a front seal, but i don't recall many folks having issue with them.

Need to get some decent light and spend some time under the jeep and above also.

Assuming this is a 3.7L:

Concentrate on the left side of the engine (driver's side) and take a good look near the power steering pump. Those pumps tend to get a decent amount of leakage. Bad seal on the reservoir.

Look a bit further down and toward the center of the engine.

The oil pressure switch is here. They leak as well.

Hard to visualise unless you are looking from below (like oil change time) with the oil filter out of the way.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I would get some good engine degreaser and spray the whole area when engine is warm, then hose it off good and check it daily ( or depending how much you drive every other day )
That way you could pin point it to a exact or close location or where it maybe running down and getting windblown back across the area.

pkc.rip

Reaction score
hullo!

Need to get some decent light and spend some time under the jeep and above also.

Assuming this is a 3.7L:

Concentrate on the left side of the engine (driver's side) and take a good look near the power steering pump. Those pumps tend to get a decent amount of leakage. Bad seal on the reservoir.

Hard to visualise unless you are looking from below (like oil change time) with the oil filter out of the way.
hullo!

Assuming this is a 3.7L:

Awesome! thank you for the tips, I'll be sure to check those out.

pkc.rip

Reaction score
I would get some good engine degreaser and spray the whole area when engine is warm, then hose it off good and check it daily ( or depending how much you drive every other day )
That way you could pin point it to a exact or close location or where it maybe running down and getting windblown back across the area.
Sounds like a plan. The leak doesn't seem to bad at all but definitely want to try and catch it early. Thank you for the advice!