No squirty squirty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
05 limited

Wiper fluid failure. Doesnt go to rear or front. When we bought the vehicle, fluid to the rear was very weak...basically just dribbled down the window a little but the front worked normally. It also dripped to the rear a little when spraying the front. Now there is no fluid going anywhere.
Tried to stick head next to FR wheelwell to listen for the pump...I dont hear anything but I'm not sure how loud it should be.
Do I need to get hands on the pump to tell if its running or not, or should it be obvious?
If the pump isnt running, do I go straight to replacing the pump (after checking fuses and making sure its plugged in) or is there additional troubleshooting I should do first?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should hear the motor running...it makes a fair noise.
The pump turns in one direction to send water to the front and changes direction to send water to the rear....there are some valves fitted to direct the flow and the front jets have a valve in front of them.
Check the fuses.
The electrical plug for the pump can easily get dislogged by a flying stone...check it's on tight.
Maybe the pump is running but the jets are blocked...use a small pin or needle to clear them.
The multi-function switch that controls the pump, as well as lights, wipers, indicators etc. is known to give problems and is easy to change.
Pull the plug off the motor and measure for voltage while operating front and rear washers...you should see +12 volts at the connector which changes polarity when you go from front to back.
The washer pump driver is actually located in the BCM so there could be a problem there!

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couldnt find the pump discussed at all in the manual when I tried to check fuses...surely it has a fuse associated...anyone know which one?

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth and might not be the case...but last month friend's wk had a similar issue, no washer
fluid coming out, neither windshield nor rear glass and yes, apparently finding the relay is a state secret.
So he creeped under the left front headlamp and managed to remove the pump connector. Then we connected
a voltmeter and got confirmation that 12V were making their way to the pump, so the latter was faulty!
He had nothing to loose at this point and decided to open the pump :eek: and did it. Some turning by hand and
WD-40 freed the stuck tiny motor axle and...voilà, pump was reassembled and still working perfectly, yeeeahhh!!:smokin:

So first check if there ¡s tension at the connector and start from there... and yes, washer pump sounds a bit
like fuel pump, you should be able to hear it working, it has a distinctive hum.

Good luck