New to the KJ - Looking for advice on purchasing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryboto

Reaction score
So, found this Renegade, an 05 with 116k, $6800 out the door with a state inspection and 6 month powertrain. It had rust repaired on the third brake light and bottom of the doors. I've attached some pictures of the work. What worries me is the surface rust on what I believe is the rocker?

What do ya'll think?

edit-apparently that's a tube step?

Attachments

• IMG_4034.jpg
    IMG_4034.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1565.jpg
    IMG_1565.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4787.jpg
    IMG_4787.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...What worries me is the surface rust on what I believe is the rocker?...
It's only a few bolts to take them off, sand them down, then repaint. If it's too far gone for that you could either replace them or leave them off altogether. :)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
iT LOOKS LIKE THOSE CHEAP STOCK SO CALLED ROCK RAILS , PERSONALLY i'D REMOVE AND TOSS THEM, JUST FOR LOOKS REALLY ANYWAYS

WHOOPS SORRY caps on

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They're decorative more than helpful. Coupla bolts, they come right off:

You must be registered for see images attach

ryboto

Reaction score
Sooo..I have terrible luck. Bought the Renegade, within 100 miles, the transmission was making terrible noises and kept popping out of 1st. Reverse is a huge pain to engage and makes a weird grinding/winding noise when it doesn't. The dealer has said he'd look for another and if they don't interest me he'll just take it back and refund me.

Trouble is, he's saying that all he's seeing are 04 or older Renegades and they're all Automatics. I really would have preferred an 05 or newer with a 6spd....what would ya'll recommend? I'm not in a rush, do you think if I have between now and the winter to find one, I'll be able to nab an 05-07 6spd Renegade that isn't beat to hell?

ryboto

Reaction score
so I found a "renegade" for sale with only 77k miles on it. It's in amazing shape. I can't seem to find a Blue Book value for it, since it's got the Renegade exterior trim, but a Sport interior. It doesn't have any skid plates, but it has the Renegade fogs and grill. I actually test drove two that were like this today. Both were Automatics. When i try to look up their book value, there doesn't seem to be an option for a Renegade with an Auto...

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's odd since my Renegade came from the factory with an auto.

ryboto

Reaction score
That's odd since my Renegade came from the factory with an auto.

both of these have cloth interiors, no heated seats, non-power seats, one has a sunroof, neither have skid plates, neither have rear light guards, neither have the auto dimming mirror or temp+direction sensor or the steering wheel radio controls. All those features are in the 6-speed Renegade I'm returning. All of these are 05s.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 05 is the same. Cloth non-heated, non-power seats, non-heated mirrors, no sunroof, no light bar, no skid plates, no rear light guards, no temp + direction sensor, no steering wheel controls, no auto-dimming mirror.

They might have been standard through '04, but they were no longer standard from '05.

ryboto

Reaction score
So this broken 05 with a 6spd is mighty rare then as its fully loaded? Kbb and edmunds suggest the 6spd was a standard feature, but seems like no one is selling them, or maybe just no dealers are buying them from auction..

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, absolutely fully loaded which was rare. Cost a pretty penny like that.

ryboto

Reaction score
Too bad it had a bad clutch and reverse gear and about 36k miles more than the automatics I found.

ryboto

Reaction score
So, I bought it. 2005 Renegade with 77300 miles.

Now the question is what do I start changing? Brakes were done. The list I have right now is -

Oil Change
Spark Plugs
Trans fluid
Differential Fluid
Tcase fluid
Power Steering Fluid

Am I forgetting anything? Should I actually change the trans/diff/tcase fluid?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So, I bought it. 2005 Renegade with 77300 miles.

Now the question is what do I start changing? Brakes were done. The list I have right now is -

Oil Change
Spark Plugs
Trans fluid
Differential Fluid
Tcase fluid
Power Steering Fluid

Am I forgetting anything? Should I actually change the trans/diff/tcase fluid?

Yes you should

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you can't really be sure what the previous owner(s) did, it's best to start fresh with all the maintenance items you can reasonably afford...then go over budget! :ROFLJest:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Since you can't really be sure what the previous owner(s) did, it's best to start fresh with all the maintenance items you can reasonably afford...then go over budget! :ROFLJest:

Yep. Once you're through you'll never have to ask yourself "I wonder when the last time the ____________ was done?"

ryboto

Reaction score
first thing is first, got engine code P0441 yesterday. Only the second time driving it and I get a check engine. I have terrible luck buying cars.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your gas cap. If that doesn't work then take it back to the seller. Do you have lemon laws in NH? I am not familiar with their laws.

ryboto

Reaction score
Check your gas cap. If that doesn't work then take it back to the seller. Do you have lemon laws in NH? I am not familiar with their laws.

Bought it in VT, there's no lemon law. The dealer will take care of it, but getting it there is going to be annoying. It's 1.5 hours away and I'd need to leave it. I have tried loosening and re-tightening the gas cap, but I'm still seeing the light.

Also I think a caliper is seized. They did put new pads/rotors on it, but the drivers side rear isn't doing anything I don't think. Which is odd given how clean the caliper looks compared to my Civic which has seen lots of salt and has a torn piston boot.