New to the KJ - Looking for advice on purchasing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryboto

Reaction score
So I've been looking into a good winter/backcountry vehicle and settled on the KJ Liberty. I found an 06 Renegade in very good condition for $7,999.

This is the listing for the vehicle-
Used 2006 Jeep Liberty Renegade for sale in SEYMOUR, CT | www.glas2000.com

I got to test drive it and the only issue I noticed was a clunking if I didn't baby the shifting. A manager drove it after me and said it's a compliance bushing for the rear diff and that they'd replace it. They'll also replace the front fog light, serpentine belt, drivers side rear window motor. It's got almost 99k miles on it, and I'm wondering what else I should prepare to start replacing if I do purchase the vehicle.

I'm also curious if anyone would have any suggestions on what I should offer the dealer for the car, or if their price seems reasonable. Or if there's anything else I should have paid attention to and didn't mention it here, let me know, and maybe I'm forgetting some of the details.

Thanks!

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems a bit high for CT. Also baby the shifting? I thought it said automatic. If you can't floor it without clunking I wouldn't touch it. Have them fix it then drive it. At 100k you are looking at shocks and springs. Getting into the possible radiator area.

ryboto

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

It's a manual, the listing originally said auto but it's wrong, the pictures show the stick.

What do you think would be a reasonable price?

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's very hard to suggest a price without seeing it myself. But I can give you a list of things to check. Rust on rockers and third taillight. Rear cv on front driveshaft. Rear upper control arm bushings. Check behind spare tire for rust or damage. Also make sure the recall has been done to add a trailer hitch.

Also how badly they listed it with the wrong equipment makes me think they are trying to take you to the cleaners. Manuals go for less than automatics

ryboto

Reaction score
I didn't get to check the driveshaft or control arms, but I've got to imagine the bushings worn and that's the clunking I was hearing when I was shifting to accelerate.

There was no rust that I could see, and I looked all over, but I didn't get a look under the rockers. It did have a trailer hitch.

ryboto

Reaction score
So I suppose I was thinking I'd offer $7k, even though they're going to replace a bushing and a window motor.. I think the point about potentially having to replace the struts/springs, and likely some of the compliance bushings makes it a reasonable price to ask for. If they accept, great, if not hopefully they'll come back with a reasonable counter..

ryboto

Reaction score
Tried calling to make an offer and couldn't get through to the "sales rep"(a child who didn't know anything about the car), so I emailed him asking how he'd like to receive an offer and he said "we wont go down on price".

There's another 05 Liberty Renegade with 116k miles for ~$6700 in another state. Assuming it's in good condition, does that price sound reasonable?

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried calling to make an offer and couldn't get through to the "sales rep"(a child who didn't know anything about the car), so I emailed him asking how he'd like to receive an offer and he said "we wont go down on price".

There's another 05 Liberty Renegade with 116k miles for ~$6700 in another state. Assuming it's in good condition, does that price sound reasonable?

The other one is a ok price. They want to charge more because its a renegade. I wouldn't deal with anyone who isn't willing to negotiate at all.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I got mine a few years ago I had to go down to Allentown PA to get my renegade. The reason when they are hard to find is that the people who own them, like myself do not want to sell them. Have you tried looking on autotrader.

ryboto

Reaction score
When I got mine a few years ago I had to go down to Allentown PA to get my renegade. The reason when they are hard to find is that the people who own them, like myself do not want to sell them. Have you tried looking on autotrader.

That's where I found the one in CT. The other was listed through Cars.com. There was, and possibly still is a 2002 Renegade for sale in NJ, but I've only really been looking at the 05-07 recently.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Why is the light bar better? There aren't any Renegades for sale within 500 miles, that aren't really high mileage, with the light bar.

Doesn't make it any better with a light bar plus its something you'll rarely ever use

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Mines up high enough don't even have a rack anymore and can still find it in a parking lot

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pass on the Renegade with light bar, find a decent KJ, buy some cheap off-road lights (the kind you won't cry over when a tree limb takes them out), mount them as you wish, and then use the savings at a REAL bar on a pitcher of margaritas! Problem solved. You're welcome!

ryboto

Reaction score
So I found a Renegade that I like, but apparently it had rust on the third brake light and under the doors. The dealer said it's being removed and painted, but says "it always comes back, just being honest with you". No guarantee of the work. Is it safe to say all Liberties will develop rust in these spots?

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I found a Renegade that I like, but apparently it had rust on the third brake light and under the doors. The dealer said it's being removed and painted, but says "it always comes back, just being honest with you". No guarantee of the work. Is it safe to say all Liberties will develop rust in these spots?

yup 99% anyway unless you wash it every day
the 3rd brake light you can fix by just caulking it back on

ryboto

Reaction score
So there's an 03 with low-ish miles nearby, is the difference in model years just visual aside from the manual transmission?

Last edited: