Need wiring help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hahaha we'll see.
What did your EE career involve?

I qualified in Electrical Engineering Light Current in 1973....went to work for IBM here in SA for 8 years fixing Mainframe computers and peripherals....very primitive machines in those days so an oscilloscope was always in the trunk of the car. Then worked for 24 years working on Mainly Hitachi Mainframe Computers and peripherals....lovely equipment..... and Industrial Robots ie. Westinghouse, Bosch and GMFanuc which was the best....loved working on the robots the most!

Retired early at age 55 and am happy to assist users on the various KJ forums (and BMW E30 forums) with Electrical problems but health is not too good lately so I spend limited time on the Internet these days.:icon_frown:

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well im just glad guys like you can and will up us other fellers who don't have that strong a grasp on such things. I'm a gear head and love to tinker or use my hands to build (or break) just about anything but electrical concepts have always been something I needed help with. If it gets much more difficult than installing a car stereo or replacing a receptacle/wiring a ceiling fan then I usually call my electrician buddies to come save me from myself!

Reaction score
USS2defiant gave some great info on the wiring there to fix up the wiring that goes behind the front bumper fascia. When my jeep was wrecked, this wiring was torn to pieces, so I didn't even bother trying to fix it. I found a factory replacement harness at a junk yard for $15 that already had the plugs for factory fog lights. Do yourself a favor and see if you can find a similar replacement yourself, as this harness powers the fogs, headlights, turn signals, and optional outside temp gauge. It all snaps into a channel in the plastic energy absorber that is sandwiched between the steel front frame section and the plastic front bumper fascia. there are lots of factory splices in it, so it's harder to tell what's factory and what's a hack job (that's why a recommend buying a replacement vs fixing), but the final connection to this harness is just behind the front grille (remove it for access) and right beside the driver side front headlight.

That main wiring harness in the U shaped channel that I referred to earlier should be firmly clipped to the bottom of the radiator support, instead of hanging down loose in the front bumper fascia. As you noticed, there's a ton of wires in there (most of that going to all of the engine/transmission sensors), so I would recommend you also find one of the "U" shaped plastic wiring shields from a donor car at a junk yard to attach this properly (it snaps around the wire bundle in 2 pieces). I had to replace this shield on mine (its $100 new, or $20 used) and snaps in place in less than a minute (if the bumper is off). It's way harder to install with the bumper installed, but it can be done if you bend it carefully, without breaking (installing from the bottom) and snap it onto the wire bundle (very difficult, unless you have small hands). You've got to consider that if a stone or some other small object hits that wire bundle at highway speed, you could easily get 2 wires in that taped up bundle shorted together and you may never notice it, and that will cause all sorts of problems to pull your hair out over.

morale of this story: 1) replace the harness behind the front bumper, and 2) very carefully inspect / repair the large wire bundle mentioned above and attach it properly, using the correct shield.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had no idea there was a shield. I figured there was probably some clips to hang it from the frame or something though. Any idea the part number so I can start my online/junk yard search.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DONE! Worked like a charm. I also checked that other hanging harness while outside. I unwrapped all the electrical tape, checked for spices but didn't see anything all the way up into the body behind the headlight before it branches off in the wire loom. If a problem surfaces someday ill know it off in that direction since everything underneath is in good shape. I wrapped it twice in electrical tape and zip tied it to the subframe below the radiator when it would originally be attached and in that channel. Ill check local scrap yards for that part later. As soon as my new fender flare clips arrive ill have her back together. Figured no reason to reassemble then disassemble again so ill just wait and drive my work car this weekend. I cant thank you guys enough and hopefully someone else will get use out of this thread someday.

Members online

No members online now.