Need wiring help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spent a great night playing with my new liberty. Installed Vent Shades, oil change, blind spot mirrors, pcv valve, air filter, replaced license plate lamp, third brake light bulb, checked tire pressure. Then I hit a snag. My passenger fog light was burnt out and I also noticed my passenger front marker bulb didn't blink alternating with the turn signal like the drivers side. I figured both were bulb issues so I purchased new and replaced. Still no fog light and my front passenger marker bulb just stays lit all the time even when blinker is signally right turn.

I do know my jeep was in a light front end collision but not totaled back in 2007. My cousin bought it from a local guy that does light collision repair work. I saw it before the repair so I know it got a radiator, core support, bumper, grill and other misc items up front. Air bags did not deploy. (previous owner centerlined a pole/tree is what I heard).

I don't even know where to start on figuring this out. Wiring and schematics were never my strong point but im not slouch and can follow instructions.

What in the world would cause the marker bulb to work and stay lit all the time but not blink when signal or hazard's are on? I tried a new bulb and changing the bulb from left to right and it worked correctly on other side so that's not the issue. I've got a wire hooked up wrong or unhooked somewhere/somehow. Anyone know how to trace or where to start looking for a correction?

The passenger fog light had butt connections about 4 inches from the fog light plug so I removed and redid that splice thinking it may be the issue but it wasn't. the wires from the splice to the plug are a different color that the once coming from elsewhere on the harness to the splice. It appears the plug its self or the harness wires from the central location to the splice are from different model or year mopar but the fog light still takes the same bulb as the one on the other side and the bulbs work because I tried them on the other side. Being that I have power on the driver fog light could a guy run two new wires from there to the passenger side? Is that how it works from the factory or am I thinking wrong on this one? Where is the wire hub for this set of lights? Could I trace it back and just splice it out closer to where it works and run new over to passenger side?

Im open to any wiring diagrams or insight that you all can provide to help me figure this out. The blinker is less of an issue since the larger turn signal on that side works it just doesn't alternate with the little marker light like the driver side. An annoyance but not life ending. The fog light on the other hand I would really like to figure out and use if able. I live out in the country and they come in handy for deer, bad weather etc. thanks a bunch gang!

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can download the Service Manuals here...includes circuit diagrams and locations of components and ground points. If yours is a 2004 model then download the 2003 manuals.

http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ

Problems like this are often grounding issues so check the ground points of the bulbs.
I do not know what the LHD models are like but on my RHD 2002 Export CRD the wire harness runs around the front of the engine bay like the Beltway around Washington DC....a connection from the Relay box under the hood to the PCM...a distance of about 18 inches...actually travels all the way around the engine bay...goes through about three connectors and after a distance of about 7 feet arrives at its destination.

My KJ suffered a front-right impact with a tree after which I had to track down about 6 wiring errors where a wire would either go to ground or go to some other random wire somewhere inside this harness up front...the only way to fix the problems was to cut off the offending wire at both ends and replace it with a new wire...this time taking the shortest route! I marked all my wiring changes on the relevant circuit diagram and have left theses sheets inside the glove-box for the next owner to find one day!

Last edited:

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Problems like this are often grounding issues so check the ground points of the bulbs.

I just had that revelation myself. I was trying to use my multimeter and was getting a 14.4 reading on both plugs as long as I held my prongs the same way on each side. Would the meter give me volt reading even if the ground was dead somewhere? if so then that could be what happened. Would just need to trace that wire back and see how/where they grounded it.

what would be my other options if not a ground? Any insight on the blinker? Same problem perhaps?

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've downloaded the manual and parts lists. I think it looks like the blinkers/markers and the fog lights are all on the same wire harness originating on one side and dispersing from there. Being im not that good at these could you guys look and let me now if I'm correct? If so I think maybe I could just replace that harness with a new one or junkyard part and fix two birds with one stone.

How hard will it be to remove my front bumper cover and related parts to inspect and replace correctly? I might find a loose wire or missing ground too once I get it apart so that's also a plus for disassembly. Best case I guess is a loose ground affecting the passenger side but I can't seem to understand how that would affect my marker from not blinking off but I'm no electrician so....

Also when I read it reference right side and left side. Which way are the looking when staying that? Is right side the driver side like you standing in front and looking at the jeep or is right side the passenger side as if your seated in the jeep?

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mmm.....
Do you hear the relay clicking to get the lights to blink?

I haven't really paid attention to the clicking but the blinker on both sides works fine and the marker on driver side blinks on and off alternating with the blinker but the marker on the passenger side does not blink/alternate with the main blinker, it just stays lit solid. If it wouldn't come on then it would make more sense to me than not blinking off.... Again I'm no electrician though.

Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like 05288895AC to the lamp repeater from 55155949AA the front light wiring harness.

Looking at the service manual.
Fig. 18 Front Lamp Bulb Remove/Install
Looks like there's a side marker socket and a park/turn signal socket.

Maybe your turn signal bulb is out??
sorry I'm only guessing here.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like 05288895AC to the lamp repeater from 55155949AA the front light wiring harness.

Looking at the service manual.
Fig. 18 Front Lamp Bulb Remove/Install
Looks like there's a side marker socket and a park/turn signal socket.

Maybe your turn signal bulb is out??
sorry I'm only guessing here.

I took the bulb and switched it to the other side and it worked fine so it appears to be fine. Also the marker light in question is a single filament bulb it appears so it's just on or off and when lights are on its on as normal. It's just when I hit the right turn signal it stays lit instead of alternating flashing with the turn signal bulb like the driver side setup does.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like 05288895AC to the lamp repeater from 55155949AA the front light wiring harness

Does it look to you the fog lights and turn signals are on one harness same as it looked to me? If so, I think since there are splices in my current harness an entire new one might fix both issues? That's if it can be purchased for a reasonable price.... Haven't looked into that yet.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it does look like they are on the same harness 551....
the 528... looks like it splices from the harness to the marker light.

might want to check fuses too just in case.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it does look like they are on the same harness 551....
the 528... looks like it splices from the harness to the marker light.

might want to check fuses too just in case.

I will check that too but again that just doesnt seem possible since they work in all other modes.... I almost HAS to be an individual group or splice/cut wire.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll start chasing wires after Christmas and search on here and junk yard. Might get lucky and score a replacement harness without cut wires.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
It's a 2004 Columbia edition 4x4 with the 3.7 and automatic.

I thought maybe I could help with the fog light wiring, having installed the OEM set in my 2007. I'm figuring that besides being in a different physical location there are probably wiring differences as well. :(

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought maybe I could help with the fog light wiring, having installed the OEM set in my 2007. I'm figuring that besides being in a different physical location there are probably wiring differences as well. :(

Thanks for trying. I will ask this.... Did each side have its own ground or was it one ground for the entire harness?

Latest posts

Members online