Need wiring help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's a 10A fuse to the marker lamp and park/turn signal and tail light on each side.

It also looks like it is 20A fuse to the trailer tow brake lamp relay and both left and right fog lamps. that's 10A to each fog lamp.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fog, turn signals and markers are 18awg from junction block.

There's a splice that is 16AWG so just put two 18AWG in parallel for a higher current rating.
S110 (pg. 955) is saying 16 AWG and S109 (pg. 957) is 14AWG (prob use 3 18AWG in parallel here) to ground.
This is because other load's ground is spliced into that ground wire then to chassis.

Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no worries.
If you list out (better to draw) what you plan to do then I can check to make sure it is okay.

Last edited:

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no worries.
If you list out (better to draw) what you plan to do then I can check to make sure it is okay.

perfect. ill do that as soon as babies in bed. I realize the grounds are shared etc but when I show you what I am dealing with I think it will make more sense. I don't have to run any grounds on the side im working. my factory harness makes it almost to the passenger headlight before all the splices. I think those 4 wires are all the same size and just need hooked up or split and hooked up and they all appear to be 18g from the diagram as far as my abilities can determine.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you aren't dealing with the grounds then from what I've seen 18awg would be on par with the wiring diagram.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's my factory wires and how far they make it before the troublesome splices. I think you'll see they almost make it entirely there and it's just the 4 wires. I will need to split a couple of these to go to multiple fixtures but this is all there is. From my understanding of the schematics they are all end of the line runs and each, including the splits, were done with 18ga wire but i may be reading it wrong. There are no grounds to hook up that I can see unless I missed something or theres a chassis ground that I haven't located as of yet coming from somewhere on the body/frame.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a few pics of the start of the harness

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Reaction score
I'll chime in on this one, since I just replaced the front clip on my 2002 Jeep Liberty after an accident (where the airbags did deploy). The place to check for wiring problems is in the main wiring harness that wraps around the bottom of the radiator support. This harness is inside a long "U" shaped plastic shield, and contains several factory wiring splices. There are about 50-60 wires in this bundle that could have been damaged in the collision you describe, and so long as the previous owner had not been jacking around with wiring elsewhere on the car, I bet this is where your problem is. If you see any of those red or blue crimp on wire connectors or screw on wire lugs, that's a hack job from a PO and another likely source of problems. You should double check these to make sure the correct color of wires are spliced together and solder these together instead (using shrink tube to finish). Finally, one last place to check for trouble is the 2 ground connections from the main wiring to the body (that are located under the horn on the fender) I almost forgot to reconnect these after repairing the front damage to my car, and a faulty ground here would certainly cause trouble.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay. This is it.
Call me if it doesn't make sense.
Click on the image below to view it larger.

You must be registered for see images

Sorry I didn't match my scribbles with the colors of the wires.
The S's indicate splices.

The red circle indicates the connector at the start of the harness. The colors of the wires in your pictures indicate that it is Connector #107 which has both the DS and passenger side wires.
This picture only helps with the bad side, the passenger side.
Everything is 18 AWG. The whole harness supplies power to the lights and the ground goes back through the harness and is connected to the ground in the junction box.

Also fyi, this is only a small section of the harness. This will go to the hazard switch/combination flasher connector which gets its wires from the multifuction switch and junction block. If this isn't the problem, you'll need to work your way back.

Last edited:

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll chime in on this one, since I just replaced the front clip on my 2002 Jeep Liberty after an accident (where the airbags did deploy). The place to check for wiring problems is in the main wiring harness that wraps around the bottom of the radiator support. This harness is inside a long "U" shaped plastic shield, and contains several factory wiring splices. There are about 50-60 wires in this bundle that could have been damaged in the collision you describe, and so long as the previous owner had not been jacking around with wiring elsewhere on the car, I bet this is where your problem is. If you see any of those red or blue crimp on wire connectors or screw on wire lugs, that's a hack job from a PO and another likely source of problems. You should double check these to make sure the correct color of wires are spliced together and solder these together instead (using shrink tube to finish). Finally, one last place to check for trouble is the 2 ground connections from the main wiring to the body (that are located under the horn on the fender) I almost forgot to reconnect these after repairing the front damage to my car, and a faulty ground here would certainly cause trouble.

I see the harness you are referencing making the large "U". I looks like it used to have clips holding it to the framing of the vehicle but mine just layed in the lower part of the valance. It appears untouched and wrapped in tape containing about a bazillion wires. I found lots of "butchery" in the small turn signal harness though. I will look close at that harness too before reassembly to make sure there are no splices or area's that need attention. Where does this harness originate and terminate just for reference purposes?

edit: My front collision wasn't that bad so I think that harness was probably un touched. As I recall I got fender, fender flare, bumper grill etc on that side. Lady hit a pole and didn't even deploy the airbags or total the vehicle but thanks for the suggestion I will check it again and at least make sure the wires look all secure and taped up for protection etc.

Last edited:

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay. This is it.
Call me if it doesn't make sense.
Click on the image below to view it larger.

You must be registered for see images

Sorry I didn't match my scribbles with the colors of the wires.
The S's indicate splices.

The red circle indicates the connector at the start of the harness. The colors of the cable indicate that it is Connector #107 which has both the DS and passenger side wires.
This only helps with the bad side, the passenger side.
Everything is 18 AWG. The whole harness supplies power to the lights and the ground goes back through the harness and is connected to the ground in the junction box.

Also fyi, this is only a small section of the harness. This will go to the hazard switch/combination flasher connector which gets its wires from the multifuction switch and junction block. If this isn't the problem, you'll need to work your way back.

Wow, thanks man. Wish I understood all that like you do. I tend to work things backwards similar to how I figured the wires based on the setup on the good side but without that I would be lost. I did figure out the 18g wire though on my own! Thanks for helping me confirm. I REALLY hope this fixes it all, to be honest ive got a great feeling that it will because those wires were all crazy and coming apart behind that front fascia. You've been a real life saver. I got new fender clips on order so once they arrive ill go out one night and finish the job. Ill touch base with you after the weekend probably.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't worry.
I have a degree in electrical engineering.

yes you did figure out the AWG reference!

Last edited:

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't worry.
I have a degree in electrical engineering.

yes you did figure out the AWG reference!

Try a quick temporary connection to see whether it works.

Lol, no fair. That's like playing flag football with Tom Brady.

Im itching to check it myself so I may run out as soon as momma gets off work and can watch the babies while I run out to the shop. Ill message ya as soon as I know. Guess its best to figure it all out while waiting for the supplies to show up.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol, no fair. That's like playing flag football with Tom Brady.

Im itching to check it myself so I may run out as soon as momma gets off work and can watch the babies while I run out to the shop. Ill message ya as soon as I know. Guess its best to figure it all out while waiting for the supplies to show up.

Yeah, I'd do a quick check, if you have the stuff, before you spend all the time to make it nice and pretty.

Well we weren't really competing. :shrug: Just trying to help with what I know. I certainly couldn't help with any suspension or advanced engine questions.

Last edited:

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd do a quick check, if you have the stuff, before you spend all the time to make it nice and pretty.

Well we weren't really competing. :shrug: Just trying to help with what I know. I certainly couldn't help with any suspension or advanced engine questions.

I hear ya pal and seriously cant thank ya enough!!

Members online

No members online now.