Need wiring help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
One ground. The passenger side is basically a slaved feed from the drivers side where the under-the-hood connections are made.

Go here and get the file named "Mopar_2006_KJ_Foglight_Install.pdf":

Index of /Forum/Docs

Step 7 and on will show you what I have.

Last edited:

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tonight after chirstmas dinner my brother and I were tinkering on the jeep. He was helping me brainstorm as I was explaining and shower him what scenarios I was dealing with. Whatcha know I turned on the fog lights and both came on after I was walking around and taping on the bumper and lights. I reached in the access door and the light went back off. So now I know ive got a short on the foglight. Not sure if its a ground short, or a plug short but definitely something localized that I thing I can mess with until isolated. My brother thinks maybe the fog light issue is a bulb problem even though I told him I tried multiple bulbs. He asked which was is correct? The left or right so I need some info. When you turn your lights on the corner markers and turn signals all 4 light up. When you hit the blinker what is the correct response? Is the marker supposed to stay lit or go out alternating with the blinker as it brightens and dims? Little brother thinks maybe the one staying on is actually correct and the one going out may be the issue instead of the other way around. So which way do your alls work. I'm anxious to get out there now and figure this out!! Feels like im getting close.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
If you bump this tomorrow afternoon I will go out and check mine. It's rainy as crud here right now and I'm not that motivated. ;)

It does sound like you're on the right track and I'll bet you have this whipped soon. :favorites13:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming the bulb on the curve edge is the marker.
With the lights on both the turn signal and the marker comes on.
With the turn signal activated, it alternates between the two.
The turn signal goes brighter while the marker is off then the turn signal goes dimmer while the marker is on.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming the bulb on the curve edge is the marker.
With the lights on both the turn signal and the marker comes on.
With the turn signal activated, it alternates between the two.
The turn signal goes brighter while the marker is off then the turn signal goes dimmer while the marker is on.

Ok so the problem is what I originally thought. My passenger side marker NEVER goes out even when the blinker is blinking. Basically the bults aren't alternating on this side. This one might be tougher to figure out, ive never had a wiring issue where the bulb came on when it shouldn't....... Gonna be tougher to diagnose and trace I think. Any insight on this one guys?

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you see it blink on your instrument cluster?
if you do then it is good, it means wiring issue.

if not it could be the multi function switch issue.

Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the FSM

When the left control stalk of the multi-function
switch is activated, the turn signal system illuminates
the selected right or left turn signal indicator,
and the turn signal lamp begin to flash. When the
turn signal system is activated, the turn signal
switch and the hazard switch/electronic combination
flasher will repeatedly energize and de-energize one
of two internal relays that switch battery voltage
from a fused ignition switch output (run) fuse in the
Junction Block (JB) to the appropriate turn signal
indicator and turn signal lamps.

TURN SIGNAL LAMPS
CONDITION POSSIBLE CAUSES CORRECTION
ONE TURN SIGNAL LAMP
DOES NOT ILLUMINATE
1. Faulty or missing bulb. 1. Test and replace turn signal bulb as
required.
2. Faulty ground circuit. 2. Test and repair open ground circuit as
required.
3. Faulty supply circuit. 3. Test and repair open right or left turn
signal circuit as required.

Might be easy to troubleshoot from the HAZARD SWITCH/COMBINATION FLASHER - WHITE 10 WAY connector.
Refer to 8W-52 wiring diagram.

Good luck.

FSM is really good.

Last edited:

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gonna have to see if any research indicates the method of the marker light shutting off in this process. My turn signals are working as described above, its the marker light that doesn't shut off on the passenger side when the signal bulb illuminates. I think im going to buy two new bulbs and replace both as my first step before getting too technical. I know I said I checked but I also checked the fog light and it just started working so who knows.....

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reading other members posts about blinker issues and started wondering if new bulb sockets could be the issue. I realize it's totally plausible on the fog light but what about the marker light that won't blink? Seem possible? I also priced the harness at about 180 non returnable.... Tough to swallow that if not the problem but totally worth it if that eliminates my electrical gremlins.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea I guess that's a idea. would have to cut them to do so but heck what does that matter at this point,, the harness already has splices in it. Might just try that tomorrow.

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't really paid attention to the clicking but the blinker on both sides works fine and the marker on driver side blinks on and off alternating with the blinker but the marker on the passenger side does not blink/alternate with the main blinker, it just stays lit solid. If it wouldn't come on then it would make more sense to me than not blinking off.... Again I'm no electrician though.

Just for grins check the other lamp (parking light/whatever) on the side where the marker is not flashing.

On my old 03, a situation similar to yours had me stumped, till I check the dual filament bulb and found the turn signal filament was gone.

Easy to check and just maybe thats your problem.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for grins check the other lamp (parking light/whatever) on the side where the marker is not flashing.

On my old 03, a situation similar to yours had me stumped, till I check the dual filament bulb and found the turn signal filament was gone.

Easy to check and just maybe thats your problem.

thanks, thought of that but its a single filament bulb that just goes of and on. I did also move the side the wont blink to the side that will and it worked fine. Leads me to think wiring short. I am going to buy a new set though and replace both just to be extra sure. Looking now on how to remove the front fascia and just cut the hardness at the plug and run all new wires from there to each bulb socket location myself. Should be MUCH cheaper than buying the harness new and the wire doesn't appear to much more than normal gauge speaker wire so its worth a shop I reckon. Im also looking for cheap replacement sockets for each location incase I have corrosion on a single locations.

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks, thought of that but its a single filament bulb that just goes of and on. I did also move the side the wont blink to the side that will and it worked fine. Leads me to think wiring short. I am going to buy a new set though and replace both just to be extra sure. Looking now on how to remove the front fascia and just cut the hardness at the plug and run all new wires from there to each bulb socket location myself. Should be MUCH cheaper than buying the harness new and the wire doesn't appear to much more than normal gauge speaker wire so its worth a shop I reckon. Im also looking for cheap replacement sockets for each location incase I have corrosion on a single locations.

I may not have made my self clear. Yes the one that won't blink is a single filament bulb, however the other bulb has parking light and turn signal filaments in it. If the turn signal filament is burnt out your marker light won't blink. Like I said, pop the sense/housing and check the other bulb. I think I understood you to say you had an 02 or 03, and they have the same setup.

Seems best to eliminate the easy to check first before diving in where it gets troublesome real quick.

However if I am confused, I apologize.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No your making sense just fine. thanks for helping. I am going to try all that again and if no luck looks like im going to pull the front fascia and cut the loom off the factory harness and attempt to rebuild my own if able out of a roll of speaker wire and some new bulb sockets (if I can find them cheap because so far no luck). Ill just follow the factory wiring path once the fascia is off and hopefully that fixes. If not then I guess its off to my dealer because ive got a short attention span when it comes to wiring gremlins

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try a temporary connection straight from the HAZARD SWITCH/COMBINATION FLASHER - WHITE 10 WAY connector to your socket first instead, to make sure everything works first before properly laying down your wires.
If I read the wiring diagram correctly, the whole entire harness starts from there. Look for the pinouts from the FSM.

I have no idea where this connector is or how it looks like. you might be able to jam some wires to where the pins are or remove a bit of the insulator and use alligator clips as temp. measure.

If I were to put new wires, I would splice right from there.

Last edited:

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well disassembled the front end tonight, it was a train wreck of wires. Found the fog light short in a crimped on piggy back connector. Also traced everything back to the harness which starts behind the drivers headlights but only controls the blinkers, markers, and fogs. The drivers side is all OEM connections, sockets and spices but the passenger is another story. I wrote down the harness wire colors, and where all the drivers side wires go. I also wrote what wires went to the passenger side. It gets messy right around the middle of the grill so I'm going to cut it there and hopefully with your alls help reading the diagrams to rewire. I didn't see any obvious wire issues like corroded or loose connections that might explain my constant on marker issue BUT if the opposing wires from one location in the harness does the same thing on the other side of the harness then I may have found the problem. ill explain more in my next post.