Napa reman alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Up on the North Shore of Minnesota...battery light came on, pulled into NAPA and had them test the alternator. Putting out less than 11 volts. had them order one and I swapped it out this morning in their parking lot (had to spend the night!). Have people had decent luck with the Napa remans? Didn't have a choice other than that. Just wondering if I should plan on swapping it out for something better once I get back home. The old one was a junkyard unit that I'm guessing had about 100k on it when it died yesterday.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've used them several times and they've been great. Haven't used one on the 02 or 05 KJ but have one on my Ranger for about 8 years now.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
That ***** on a trip & the Alt fries.You should be good to go for a long time on the new Napa reman.
Just curious, what is the warranty on the reman HJ?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have used them in the past on several different vehicles, did well except one, installed for a friend, worked two days, went bad , but they exchanged it and next one is still on his pickup 7 years later

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Please post a couple of pics of the Alt when you can HJ.
Was just searching the Napa site and two part #s were listed, not sure the difference, both 136 amp & included the 6 rib pulley one was about 80$ more than the other.
Which part was it? NEU 2139765 or NEU 2139460 ??

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
One has a clutch on the pulley and the other one doesn't. Mine didn't...never seen a KJ with the clutch one.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
So yours came with the pulley, do you have the part #?
As far as I know they all have the clutch pulley design, it is an interior clutch system.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'll have to look at the receipt. The one I had on before didn't have the clutch on the pulley...don't think the factory one did either.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The factory was a clutch based system.
It is not exterior design, you can't see it, all the clutch goodies are hidden on the inside.
Special tools & experience are required to disassemble and install the clutch, so it is good the reman is ready to go with a pulley.
Edit: found the difference: both have the clutch (decoupler see fsm) only the NEU 2139765 is for the 3.7 engine as far as I can see.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't say that I have heard of an overrun clutch on an alternator before

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only the 2.4 gasser and the CRDs have the de-coupler pulley...ie. turns freely in one direction for over-run but locks solid in the other direction to drive the alternator spindle

Early CRDs used a dry internal mechanism that leads to red dust appearing on front of de-coupler and then failure.
Newer CRDs most owners fit the grease-filled Litens de-coupler...I believe the new Mopar de-couplers are all grease-filled now.

The 3.7 gasser uses a fixed pulley.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting Bill. Can you tell by just looking at the pulley alone if it is a decoupler, anyone got a pic of one?
Wonder why Napa site states a decoupler for 3.7 very odd.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pictures I have seen of the 3.7 pulley shows a simple large nut holding it onto the alternator shaft while the 2.4 gasser and the CRD pulleys have a flat plastic cover hiding the nuts away. If you pry off the plastic cap you see usually a female hex slot, 17 mm I believe although some early pulleys have a female spline.

Lostjeeps CRD section and Ausjeep have some good advice on how to replace the CRD pulley...supposed to use special tools but there are tips on how to make up some tools.

My 2002 Export CRD is showing some red dust on the front plastic cover which is a warning sign but I really do not feel like tackling the replacement job right now...maybe before my next long trip. Dealers here are totally useless and expensive:emotions34: