Muffler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Opinions on the best sounding muffler for 3.7l?
All of the Flowmaster ones I've heard on KJs on YouTube sound terrible
Like a little Honda fart can
I'm wanting a deep sound when I step on it but not a crazy amount of drone
I don't mind a little bit as I always have music on but not something that's very overwhelming
Also I don't want something crazy expensive so no Borla's or similar!
Way more expensive than what I'm wanting
Looking for a Flowmaster, Magnaflow, etc for a good price
I know it's kind of hard to make a 3.7 sound good but I'd be happy with anything deeper than stock that didn't sound like a ricer.. BWWWAAAAAHHHHH :emotions122:
Oh and nothing that gives off that popping noise either, sounds horrible

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 40 was what I was looking at but the ones I heard of the 40, 44, etc sounded like a Honda
But only when revving it hard while in park, they made a popping noise and had a tin can sound to them that sounded terrible
The sound of yours is what I'm looking for though and I'm not just going to sit there and rev hard when at a stop light so I guess it'd be fine

Only one of many examples:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l_JSklMnPQw
Note the sound right at the beginning on take-off, that sounds like complete shit.. like a ricer

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea mine will pop and crackle if i rev but when driving its pretty nice sound there is a drone most people talk about i have had mine over a year. I always have music on and dont really notice a drone too much. The first month or two it was more noticible. Now i just hear the drone on the highway around 60mph but not horrible like some say.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 40 was what I was looking at but the ones I heard of the 40, 44, etc sounded like a Honda
But only when revving it hard while in park, they made a popping noise and had a tin can sound to them that sounded terrible
The sound of yours is what I'm looking for though and I'm not just going to sit there and rev hard when at a stop light so I guess it'd be fine

Only one of many examples:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l_JSklMnPQw
Note the sound right at the beginning on take-off, that sounds like complete shit.. like a ricer

Yea min did that too in one video but i had gotten it up to like 3krmp

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the Thrush Welded muffler on my 3.7 KJ and loved it. Nice aggressive growl but not ricey sounding. Never popped or crackled at high RPM's either. It had slight drone to It but not bad considering it was dumped before the rear diff. Have one on my Titan too and it sounds great.

Mrich0908

Reaction score
You know they make flowmasters in all shapes and sizes. I agree an old school 40 FM may not be the best choice. Why not get something quiter but less restrictive like a super 50. To get the most out of your muffler people usually add a cai of some sort with washable filter. It will deepen the sound your after also.
This video is great for choosing the right muffler.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEBdiW4LbI0

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dynomax ultraflo welded might work. Have one on my 4L OHV Ranger and sounds great at idle or into it. Probably much like the Thrush that CalcityRenegade mentioned above. I don't notice a drone but I'm almost deaf (too much loud music in my youth). I have a Borla Dual cat back on my KJ. That sounds real good too, but pricey (It was like that when I got it).

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The super 50 was actually going to be my first choice, but I wanted something more aggressive
I'll probably go with it anyway because it's almost the stock length so less extension is needed
But, the 3.7 is hard to make sound good compared to a nice v8

Mrich0908

Reaction score
The super 50 was actually going to be my first choice, but I wanted something more aggressive
I'll probably go with it anyway because it's almost the stock length so less extension is needed and the 3.7 is hard to make sound good compared to a nice v8

I would like to hear a sound clip of what ever you choose.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do!
It'll be probably in the next few weeks but I'll try and post a video somehow

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here... she loves the sound :gr_grin: I kept the stock tailpipe on it though.

I like the start up and idle sound of those but revving sounds like a tin can
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pvc8zT9iyWA
Go to 3:53 and you'll hear what I mean
Then again, videos don't do sound or light justice so it could just be the guys mic but it sure sounds like there's a tin can on the end of that tailpipe

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the start up and idle sound of those but revving sounds like a tin can
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pvc8zT9iyWA
Go to 3:53 and you'll hear what I mean
Then again, videos don't do sound or light justice....

Ya, that doesn't do it justice at all. :emotions34: Probably the phone mic not picking up the rumbly-ness. Also, blipping the throttle in neutral/park doesn't sound the same as a 2000-4000 rpm pull under load.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run a MagnaFlow Ultra race muffler,it's not for the faint of heart as it is loud but very small,only like 5" in diameter and 14" long.

Windows up it's fairly quiet inside so you can easily hear anyone talking but roll the windows down at speed and no stereo is loud enough.KJ's have great sound dampening from the factory.

Mine cackles at slight rev at from idle(to 1000-1200rpm's) and cackles at half or greater throttle shifts.Granted mine also exits just in front of the rear diff.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to replace my muffler as well. I'd like to find something that is as quiet as stock, but not restrictive... going to have to find a balance between noise and free-flowing I think.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to replace my muffler as well. I'd like to find something that is as quiet as stock, but not restrictive... going to have to find a balance between noise and free-flowing I think.

I watched a video the other day of the VP of FlowMaster discussing each muffler and the Super 50 or 70 series may be what you're looking for
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QEBdiW4LbI0 (go to around 9:22 to get into the Super 50)
He describes it for heavy duty towing but obviously you can put it on if you want just a little bit more rumble than stock
And an added feature of the 70 is the case length is super long, about like our stock one so you'd need very little, if any, extensions