More power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed after lifting my KJ that it's even harder to accelerate than it was before
Obviously because it's higher up and catches more wind
Is there anything for me to do that will deliver more power?

Rowlette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a bigger Engine [emoji38]
[emoji39] Just could help myself. Have a Great Day.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not gonna happen
It's not that bad to even consider doing that

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thing to do is insulate the intake pipe, I did this and I noticed a difference in the jeep for sure. Just adding the insulation helped drop the intake temperature by 15-20 degrees Fahrenheit. You can also gain some power by adding a ported throttle body and a better flowing exhaust.

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What tire size are you running? Sounds like a re-gear would be the only real option for you.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regearing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know regearing helps but I'm looking for just a slight increase in power
I have to have the peddle almost to the floor for it to get up to speed
Even from going from 60mph to 70mph it takes a good while to speed up

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Height made no difference at all when I lifted any of mine as far as taking off etc Thats only when you get into taller and heavier tires
As far as some of the other suggestions, well.......................
regearing is the only thing that really helps
tried the larger throttle body, very little difference at all
better flowing exhaust is a placebo effect , like a CAI it makes your mind think you have more power but only because it is louder

So back to your real issue
when the last tuneup, diff fluid and transfer case change etc

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe your compression is off. How big is the difference from before the lift?
How many miles you got?
Possible suggestions are: Quality motor flush? Set of new spark plugs? New air filter? Serviced differential oil?

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Height made no difference at all when I lifted any of mine as far as taking off etc Thats only when you get into taller and heavier tires
As far as some of the other suggestions, well.......................
regearing is the only thing that really helps
tried the larger throttle body, very little difference at all
better flowing exhaust is a placebo effect , like a CAI it makes your mind think you have more power but only because it is louder

So back to your real issue
when the last tuneup, diff fluid and transfer case change etc

I have no idea I haven't done it since I've owned it
Got it last December
It runs great, it's just sluggish going from about 50-70mph
I drove down to Hocking Hills yesterday and on the way back (fairly steep hilly highway) going up a hill I had it on cruise ~75 and as soon as it started to go below about 73 it jumped way up too I think over 4K RPMs just to get back up to 75 and even that took a while to do
I turned off the cruise and had the peddle almost to the floor and it barely made it back up to 75 I had to just go down to 70 until it got flat again

Taking off isn't really the issue

Last edited:

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea I haven't done it since I've owned it
Got it last December
It runs great, it's just sluggish going from about 50-70mph
I drove down to Hocking Hills yesterday and on the way back (fairly steep hilly highway) going up a hill I had it on cruise ~75 and as soon as it started to go below about 73 it jumped way up too I think over 4K RPMs just to get back up to 75 and even that took a while to do
I turned off the cruise and had the peddle almost to the floor and it barely made it back up to 75 I had to just go down to 70 until it got flat again

Taking off isn't really the issue

That's not normal. I have larger tires than stock, 245/70R-16, and noticed a bit more effort to accelerate, especially from a stop... BUT.. nothing ever like what you are describing. In fact, 50-70mph in a third gear pull, feels very strong and accelerates briskly.

There's something amiss about your Jeep.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Off topic but what is the product number of AirLift bags that'll work for the OME rear springs?
I'm wanting them for when I tow, but I ordered the kit for the stock suspension thinking that since they expand both height wise and width
But, after contacting them they said it more than likely won't work since the OME's are taller/wider
I read on LOST that the part # is 60844 but just want to be sure since I already have to return the stock bags I bought

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re-gear is your best option, especially after going to a bigger tire. The smile came back to my face when the 4:10's were in place.:gr_grin:

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Activating O/D off switch works for me when on steep roads/overtaking at over 50mph

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Activating O/D off switch works for me when on steep roads/overtaking at over 50mph

I only kick the O/D off when I'm in town, basically from 0-45mph and then kick it on when I hit the highway
(Learned about it from Tom)
I don't think turning the O/D off on the highway would help though

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I only kick the O/D off when I'm in town, basically from 0-45mph and then kick it on when I hit the highway
(Learned about it from Tom)
I don't think turning the O/D off on the highway would help though

When I hit my OD off button it's like hitting the brakes,it will scrub 5-10mph off in seconds but I have 5.13 gears in the diffs to.

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its possible you have some ujoints that have failed, and now due to the angle they're effecting driveline, you might not feel it if you still have the harmonic dampener on the rear diff

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thing to do is insulate the intake pipe, I did this and I noticed a difference in the jeep for sure. Just adding the insulation helped drop the intake temperature by 15-20 degrees Fahrenheit. You can also gain some power by adding a ported throttle body and a better flowing exhaust.
Did you do a write up or anything on intake insulation? , i wouldn't mind looking into trying this. Doesn't have to have a major effect, just a fun thing to try