Power window relay wire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would anyone know if the power coming from the power window relay makes a stop at the body control module before heading to the power window switch? I'm wondering since I noticed power to the relay gets cut as soon as the ignition is turned off, yet the windows will still function (after a set time) or until the driver's door opens.

Steven Renich

Reaction score
Ksat, the 2003 manual I have shows no connection to the body control module.

Steven

Attachments

• 2003 KJ Power windows.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 1

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Yea, the 2006 manual shows the same thing, too, but that's obviously not the case because after the ignition is turned off (and the window relay shuts off with it) power continues to be supplied until the door gets opened or the system times out. If power was supplied directly from the relay, it would be cut immediately after key-off with no "grace" period,

The reason for my question is my window switch recently lost power completely, and after the relay and both fuses checked out, I ran a jumper wire from the point right after the window relay (pink with yellow stripe wire) to the switch and although the windows work again, the key has to be in the on position at all times for them to work now. It's certainly better than what it was, but I liked not having to cycle the key back on again each time right after shut down.

Steven Renich

Reaction score
OK. I think that you are right - your Jeep is set up differently than the wiring diagram I have. My diagrams don't even show a window relay. What year is your Jeep?
If it is not '03 than I think we might want to get a better wiring diagram.

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a 2006. Like I said, the schematic I found on the '06 manual seems to say the same thing yours' did, though: that power goes straight from the window relay to the switch. No stopping anywhere.

I found the diagram below on Fixya.com. The relay is in a hard to access spot, pretty far up under the dash on driver's side.

Attachments

• JunctionBlockUnderDriver'sDash.jpg
    JunctionBlockUnderDriver'sDash.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Steven Renich

Reaction score
The 03 goes straight from the ignition switch to the power window switch, no relay at all. So maybe the 06 relay is controlled be the BCM as you surmised.
Mine actually had no power windows when I bought the car. I installed them and added the wiring according to the schematics I have. On the 03, that fusebox can be removed, but with difficulty. So if you want to pursue this, you may want to download an 06 manual.

Steven Renich

Reaction score
I just downloaded the manual and looked at it. The BCM controls the "Accessory Delay Relay Control" circuit, which goes to the power windows and the power sunroof. The BCM is attached to the back of the junction box. So this setup is different than mine. It looks hard to get to. Do you have a power sunroof?

Also, you may want to remove the relay and probe the socket with an old-school circuit tester (the type with a small light bulb and a pointy end). This will show if the three inputs to the relay are working.

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're a saint. Thanks for catching that. Yea, I have do have a power sunroof. I never use it, so I don't know if it lost power like the windows did originally or if it had that delay feature.

The jumper wire I added was hard enough in itself to install, so I think I'll just suck it up and live with things the way they are.

I actually did remove the relay and tested it before adding that jumper. It tested good.

Thanks again =)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.