Me and My '05 Limited, Riding On Air

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps? lol....
You must be registered for see images

Yeeaahhh, get daytons!! :happy175:

But dave, I think they're different just because they're black and the ones in his photos that are mounted on hia jeep are chrome so likely silver on the backside.
Hopefully not some orellys or wallyworld rims, see too many of them rolling around nowadays lol

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I hope when people look at my rims, they will think I have good taste. But there was a time that might have been questionable.

The wheels I chose for my KJ are not wheels I will worry about getting muddy or even dinged up a bit. But they do look pretty cool to me.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Can't believe you're going with those tires. Would of thought you'd go a little more practical. :icon_razz::icon_razz:
I've ridden in a buddys XJ that has them , too loud and rough riding for a DD IMO.
Really surprised :happy175:
Plus a 245-75 on a 8 inch
You're bucking everything LOL
So good luck hope they work good for ya.

Last edited:

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't believe you're going with those tires. Would of thought you'd go a little more practical. :icon_razz::icon_razz:
Practical? You mean like I might be if I thought about life the way I did 10 years ago before I found out I had two, maybe three years left? I've mentioned this reasoning before and I understand you can't possibly remember what people have said from one day to the next. There are many thousands of posts and so many different members that look for help here. But in this topic, I have mentioned why I chose these and I think I may have even mentioned knowing the impracticality of it. If I thought I had many years to look forward to, I might have chosen something else. But I'm on bonus time and I am living only for right now, not 5 years or 50,000 miles from now. Practicality is much lower on my list than it would be on the average Jeeper.

I've ridden in a buddys XJ that has them , too loud and rough riding for a DD IMO.
I hope I have expressed how much I value your opinion and advice. But this is a subjective area. My last vehicle I spent about a thousand bucks on a great sound system, but I only listened to it a handful of times over the course of 10 years. I've had my KJ for just over a year now and haven't yet wanted to listen to the music or radio. The first test drive I discovered it had a broken speaker, but I haven't even thought about it since then.

The Big-O all season tires that came with this Jeep are fricken noisy - a kind of high pitched whine beginning at about 40mph. It bothered me at first, but I don't notice it much anymore. I don't really care if the STTs make a little noise. I have listened to it in countless videos and none of them sounded as irritating as my Big-Os were when I first got it. As far as rough riding... practically ALL the roads where I live are rough. The county hasn't done proper paving for the last 6 or 8 years. The state has repaved some of the highway, but those roads constitute maybe only 25% of my travel. However, I do expect the tires will be rougher/bumpier than the Big-Os. I'm okay with it.

Plus a 245-75 on a 8 inch
You're bucking everything LOL

This I don't understand. I have seen you recommend 245/75R16s on 3" lifts time after time. I would not have even considered them had it not been for your opinion on them. Am I mistaken?

We have several sticky topics here that you and others insist that we all read. I do, religiously. Unfortunately, the topics that list required or recommended specifications at the beginning don't get updated with new or correct information. Somewhere in the hundreds of replies some of these get is better or more current or corrected information, but the main source of information, the very first post, never seems to be updated. You'd think a moderator would be able to edit the first post, even if it was just to link the reader to the post that has the most current information.

Oh wait... YOU'RE a moderator. :emotions34:

I've been here long enough to know that you will want to wash your hands of this discussion after me expressing my anger at this situation. I hope you will, instead, take the time to see in this thread that I have made a concerted effort to get maximum effect and maximum quality and I have relied on some of the best advice a KJ fan could want - yours among the top. I have spent many hours researching. I have formed my own plan, based on good advice, discounting the aesthetic and subjective and holding in high regard the specification limitations and recommended quality standards.

If I have erred, please consider that it may be because the correct information was lacking in some way or lost in the jumble and confusion that some threads can become. It just might NOT be because I said "to hell with what Tom says, I'm doing it my way."

I don't have unlimited funds. Just because I like how something (like a tire) looks, I would never spend the money if there was no hope of it working. If a 30.7" diameter (measurement from a 7" rim) 245/75R16 on a 16x8" rim won't work on a 3" lift, then please say so. If there are alternate sizes that will fit the rim I like, or if a good quality spacer might help a tire fit, then I hope you (or someone) will let me know. Wagging your finger at my folly isn't helpful.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you'll be just fine.. Hope that they ride smooth for you and help you to pull the most fun out of your KJ as possible!! If you don't get much snow, (2-4" I believe you stated before) then I think you'll be more than fine, and should finally be able to test out that lift the way you've been itching to!
I ran mudders in my small 235/70/16's through 2 winters ago, and we kinda get ridiculous snow/ice. So with intelligent driving you'll be more than capable of getting where you need to...

End up finding a helpful step/running board that you liked/fit the budget criteria???

We all greatly value Tom's input, but you have to always be prepared for plenty of finger wagging, "LOL's", and allllotttttt of these --> :happy175: :happy175: :happy175:

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Size, no issues, good choice. Nothing you and a heat gun can't deal with. Maybe a top plate is in your future, you'll figure it out.

my lift as in the signature put me at 22 inches. I rubbed in reverse with turned wheels on a tire that was 13mm inward from your 4.5 inch 0 offset rim. It was fine, you may see some contact when you turn your wheel 90 deg from center.

rim width less concerned with 245 on 8's. Did it, goodyear speced it as a compliant width was fine, sub optimal but fine.

currently running 285's on 17 x 7's (outside the specs the other way) still look as fat as my old duratracs.

The only question i got is how did you get to stt from studed duratracs?
I admit they look top end (or better) but there be hardly a mountain snow flake symbol on those #mafks. Not my choice but not my money either.

as for noise. I'm not running mtr K either and i thought the duratracs were Noisey AF hence my current BFG ko2s

Few guys 2.5 inch build threads get to page 17. The questions aren't malicious.

Last edited:

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you'll be just fine. ...End up finding a helpful step/running board that you liked/fit the budget criteria???
There's one or two I am considering, but they won't fit in the budget for a while yet.

We all greatly value Tom's input, but you have to always be prepared for plenty of finger wagging, "LOL's", and allllotttttt of these --> :happy175: :happy175: :happy175:
Yeah, I know. Must. Improve. Tolerance. I'm workin' on it. ;)

Size, no issues, good choice. Nothing you and a heat gun can't deal with. Maybe a top plate is in your future, you'll figure it out.
Already have the top plate, so maybe a clevis spacer, if necessary. I prob'ly shouldn't worry that leveling will be a disadvantage if I ever tow anything heavy - I don't think I will be towing.

The only question i got is how did you get to stt from studed duratracs? I admit they look top end (or better) but there be hardly a mountain snow flake symbol on those #mafks. Not my choice but not my money either.
I was gonna do studded DuraTracs on my stock 17" rims and something else for the rest of the year. But I figured winter would be just about over by the time I could afford the DuraTracs, so I might as well concentrate on getting the nice rims and a tire that would do well for the little bit of winter driving I do and is acceptable on the paved roads and will get me to my landscape photos no matter where I wanted to find them. The criteria was acceptable road manners, superior dirt and off-road behavior and a little siping to make them capable on wet pavement. And looks are important too - I like the aggressive look of a mud tire.

If the STTs work everywhere but the snow, then I still have the option of getting studded DuraTracs for my stock wheels next season. By the time I can get my wheels and tires in operation, there won't be much, if any winter left. Both local tire shops say studding tires has dropped off quite a bit here. Not even the CHP or any other state or county vehicle uses them anymore. Our road departments don't spread salt on the roadways, but they do sprinkle coarse sand and also use some kind of liquid that has reduced the treachery of some of our nastiest sections of road.

Few guys 2.5 inch build threads get to page 17. The questions aren't malicious.
I know. I'm really happy with all the interest and support.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Jim!

245/75/16 is just about the minimum WIDTH of a tire to run with an 8 inch wide wheel. It will work, as it did on the original TJ Wrangler Rubicons...however it won't leave you with much sidewall protection.

For my 8-inch wheels...I went with 265/70/16. It's a bit of a wider tire and just as tall. It's considered the "better" tire for an 8 inch wheel...but as stated earlier: your setup will work if you so choose to go that way!

I've heard good things about the Cooper STTs. I haven't had personal experience with them though. Would love to hear your opinions of them after you get them mounted up! What load range did you go with? This will affect ride quality and noise the most.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
245/75/16 is just about the minimum WIDTH of a tire to run with an 8 inch wide wheel. It will work, as it did on the original TJ Wrangler Rubicons...however it won't leave you with much sidewall protection.

For my 8-inch wheels...I went with 265/70/16. It's a bit of a wider tire and just as tall. It's considered the "better" tire for an 8 inch wheel...but as stated earlier: your setup will work if you so choose to go that way!
Thanks for that. I don't recall reading anything that specific in all my research here. I might not have even considered the STTs because they don't come in a 265/70R16.

I've heard good things about the Cooper STTs. I haven't had personal experience with them though. Would love to hear your opinions of them after you get them mounted up! What load range did you go with? This will affect ride quality and noise the most.
Here are the tire specifics:
Tread Depth: 18/32"
Load Range: E (10 ply rated, but only 3 ply construction)
Load Index: 120
Weight: 46.9#
Speed Index: QR
Section Width: 9.6"
Overall Diameter: 30.71"​
Can I assume that the "sidewall protection" you mentioned is primarily important in protecting the rims from damage during rock crawling type activities, and of course, running into sidewalk curbs. Even though the tire is fully capable of rock crawling and other extreme off-road workouts, I doubt I will be putting it through those kinds of paces. I'm a landscape photographer who likes getting to my scenes on old and sometimes abandoned logging roads. As much as I might enjoy the drive, I prob'ly wouldn't do much of it just for the joy of finding the harshest terrain to use 4WLow.

I also realize the weight and rolling resistance of this tire makes it even more conducive to a 4.10 gear ratio. That is definitely on my list of mods, but my income puts my list in slo-mo. For safety's sake, new tires had to be moved to the top of the list. I will deal with the loss of MPG and power until they can be mitigated by future upgrades. I don't know if this is the plan everyone should take, but it's my plan for now.

If I can make these tires work, I will add my own review to the impressive (and prob'ly more qualified) list of reviews already available online. Thanks for the encouragement and great information you and others provided.

Jim

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is why Jeep used an 8 inch wide wheel with 245-75-16s , ADVERTISING
They wanted to advertise that the Rubys had 8 inch wide wheels with 30 inch tires.
As far as me saying you can use 245-75-16s on a 3 inch lift yes you can, BUT still never said on a 8 inch wide wheel.
Basically you have about a 7 inch tread stretching out to 8 inch wheel. Its the reason I run 265-70-16s on the or the 265-75-16s , treat is as wide as the wheel .

As far as comments on the Durtracs being loud, keep em rotated and they're not.
With mine on I could still talk to my 89 year old step father in the back seat and he can't hear himself fart

Last edited:

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wish I had seen that information sooner. It would have changed the look of my list of possible tires.

Noise levels are not that big an issue to me. Ninty percent of the time, I am the only one in the Jeep. I don't usually listen to radio or music and I never use the phone while driving. Certain types or pitches of sound might be more irritating than others, but if it's anything like the Big-Os I have now, or lower in tone, then it should be okay.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll echo what Tom said with the noise levels of the Duratracs. I've had them for a few years now and they make less noise than some of my friend's Wranglers that have similar tires. They were noisy to me at first b/c I'd never ran a tire like them but you get used to it quickly.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wheel well modifications have been performed on the passenger side. I did the one side only to do a fitment test for the wheel/tire combo I like. There was a chance I was going to have to reselect different wheels or different tires. I am now convinced I will have to do neither. There appears to be at least ⅛" clearance (I think closer to a quarter-inch - no actual measurement was taken) at the front part of the wheel well when the tire is fully turned and the spring compressed as much as we could get it.

The plastic covering the rear pinch weld was cut on the inside and heated to bend it back enough to get a hammer on it, but while bending it, the plastic snapped right off. I opted to have it painted for now and later I will have some sealer applied to protect the metal from rusting and to make it look a little better.

The front, outside edge of the liner and the air dam had to be trimmed. That seemed to be enough to give the tire clearance. I imagine it may need more trimming once I can get it on a dirt trail for a real test, but there looks to be room to play with, if necessary. I am a little worried about what looks like the windshield washer reservoir bracket. That's pretty close and I don't know if it can be moved or bent enough to clear. But it's not currently in the way.

Now the wheels can be revealed. The cap isn't on in the photo. I am hoping to find something from a vintage Jeep that will work, or maybe just have a disk made that will replace the Vision Wheels logo made for the cap.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You shouldn't need to trim much from the front bumper. I took a minimalist approach to mine so it looks stock and neat but doesn't rub. I can snap some pics. I have about the same amount of lift as you do, same overall diameter of the tire.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking good Jim.

Dave

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice looking rims. And you are right - I have never seen anything quite like them. :waytogo:

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seen a few similar wheels getting round here in oz but not on a KJ they look good

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk