Me and My '05 Limited, Riding On Air

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have taken the measurements exactly the same way every time. Reading the tape at the center of the hub is easier than reading the tape at some imaginary line at the arc of the fender flare opening (unless you put some painters tape on it, draw a line on it and leave it there until the project is finished). Pressing the end of the tape to the edge of the fender flare couldn't be easier. Then just read the tape where it crosses the center line of the wheel hub.

I hope you will agree that I measure correctly - and gave you reason to smile too. :)

Definitely a little bit of variance in the way that you are doing it. I always used the tabbed end by the hub, and measured to ABOUT where the curve of the flare is.

Be it right or wrong though...I'm not sure that would net you 7/8". I guess the question is...what really is the truly right way to measure?

PS - you posted a picture of a beautiful lady. Of course you made me smile. :) I'm a 25 year old guy with a pulse.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I measured mine using your method Jim and I'm at 21" all the way around.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Found an old post from when I had medium duty springs...I was at 21.5" when they were pretty new (2k miles). Then I had no clevis or spacers or anything extra.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Tape measures.....:emotions34::happy175::icon_razz::icon_razz:
Who needs em to measure a KJ? :icon_razz:
Had a guy pull up ask and about my lift while I was in Winston-Salem. Just bought his daughter a KJ and wants to lift it some.
Told him his looked low, told him what stock height was and told him it looked to be about 17.75 inches.
He digs around and pulls out a tape measure , 17.75 inches on the nose!

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like Jim my tape measure lives in a pouch on the back of my nail bag for 12 hours a day natural reaction when taking the measurement is to put tabbed end under the flare and measure down to the hub

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mr. McClain has left the building, must of went for a loooooong drive

Careful, one day that will be true. And that "loooooong drive" will be to somewhere I can't take my Jeep with me, if you know what I mean.

Now, did I miss responding to something I should have? :fish_h4h:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Careful, one day that will be true. And that "loooooong drive" will be to somewhere I can't take my Jeep with me, if you know what I mean.

Now, did I miss responding to something I should have? :fish_h4h:

No did not miss a thing, just wondering about you since you hadn't posted.But mentioning that loooong drive, reminds me of a good friend I met on LOST many years ago. We talked on line almost daily, we would call each other talking the " what ifs" or the "would this work".
Didn't hear from his for almost two weeks, tried calling etc, nothing.
Then got a PM from his sister, she hadn't heard form him so drove to see him, lived 4-5 hours away. When she got there he was sitting at his computer, massive heartattack, still miss talking to him .
But when ever I don't see someone on for a while, I do wonder. It does happen to the best of us!

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sad, but it's a fact of life... and death. I hope it's not going to be for a long time (I'm 7+ years past 2 doctors' expectations), but I hope my best friend for the last 40 years will be saying my good-byes for me on all my favorite sites. This is one of them. It just feels like family here (since I don't have a real one otherwise).

Well, that was certainly maudlin. Sorry.

I ordered a wheel I like. In a few days I'm gonna order a tire I like. Then I'll have it mounted so I can see if they're gonna fit. I've decided against getting studded tires on my stock wheels and other wheels and tires for the rest of the year. I'm just going to get the wheels & tires I like and use them year-round. I'm sure it will take 'til Spring to afford them. I have only one scheduled appointment in Reno, 80 miles away, this Winter, so I'll chance it.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That's a good choice. Snow tires have their place, but with how good KJs are in the snow anyway, you're going to outperform anything else on the road (or off the road once the softies slide off) with a good set of ATs.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
A good set of A/T's, a 4x4 KJ, 80 miles to Reno through the mountains, and back safely to Cali. That needs to get moved up to #1 on my bucket list........

Dave

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had to go to Reno today. It was necessary because an extended power outage and particularly nasty weather forced me to use up my huge backup o2 tank (it'll last about 10 or 12 hours, depending on the flow I set it for). The other 2 sizes I have are only good for <3 hours and <30 minutes, so it's hard to sleep if I have to wake up so often to change tanks.

But the trip had a bonus: my test tire came in, so I was able to take it and the mystery wheel with me to have it mounted. Tomorrow (it's already tomorrow, but you know what I mean) I will take the Jeep to my mechanic and he will pound down the pinch weld and then do a trail fitment of the wheel & tire. If it works without rubbing, or maybe we have to massage the wheel well liner some, then I will know I can order 4 more of the same as soon as I can afford it. Unfortunately, by then, the nasty weather will be over, so I won't be able to see how they work in the snow.

The tire I am testing is the Cooper Discoverer STT Pro LT245/75R16.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Nice looking tire- but have you read how they do in the snow and highway? Looks like a mudder to me which means on road snow performance could be a bit lacking. You'd want something with a bit more compressed treads and more siping.

I'm probably going to go with these for my next set, since the new Terras in my size are an LT tire and I don't want 10lbs of extra weight over what I have now per corner.

Just my thoughts. If that Cooper has good enough on road manners for you and good enough snow performance (not sure how much snow you guys get), go for them, they look badass and will kickass off road.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have spent a LOT of hours reading tire reviews and watching video reviews. The Discoverer STT Pros hold up pretty good. The elevation here is between 3 and 7-thousand feet. My home town is about 3,400 ft. Although I had to drive on snow covered roads most of the time yesterday, it's not the norm. And since dealing with severe emphysema, I don't go out much in the winter months.

Years ago, winters were much more severe around here. I can remember lots of days there was 4' or more of snow everywhere every year. And before my time, historical photos show snow that was over most people's heads. I wouldn't want to argue with anyone about how these changes came about and in my age and condition, I'm not worried so much about global as I am my own little world of this part of the Sierra Nevadas. But the change is noticeable and there doesn't appear to be a chance of reversal unless a huge meteor hits or some idiot presses a big red button somewhere.

I'm livin' on bonus time. I got less than one quarter lung function and am enjoying my 7th or 8th unexpected winter. It'd be nice if I could squeeze out another 8 or even 18 - who knows? But I am living for today. I balanced my tire choices between a variety of environmental conditions, how I spend my time and, of course, my vanity. I like the way these tires look. They may not be the best in snow, might make more noise than another tire going down the highway at 60 or 70mph and they may wear out quicker than some. I'm thinkin'... :shrug: meh.

The STT Pros will be a lot better than the Big-O all season tires I have now - and these Big-Os got me back and forth to Reno in several inches of snow yesterday. They will most certainly be better on all the roads (and almost roads) that I like to go photo hunting on. And they will get me back and forth every 2 or 3 months to Reno doctor appointments and shopping excursions. I think these were the right choice for me.

'Course, if they don't fit, then I'll have to find a whole new right choice. :gr_grin:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Nice, keep up updated on how they work. Maybe if you like them I'll get a set. :D I figured you'd have done the research, unlike me. :D

What rims?

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice, keep up updated on how they work. Maybe if you like them I'll get a set. :D I figured you'd have done the research, unlike me. :D

What rims?

I haven't seen anyone using the rims I chose, so for now, I'm keepin' them a secret. They're 16x8s and have a 4.5" BS. I couldn't find anything I liked with a 5" backspace and I definitely don't want my KJ to look like half the other KJs I see.

I'll reveal them soon though - hopefully real soon, if the wheel/tire combo works. I should know tomorrow afternoon.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^front side?

(that's the backside of the one in your pics, right?)

Dave

Last edited: