Me and My '05 Limited, Riding On Air

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heating the pinch weld itself wouldn't help much, unless you used a torch and extreme heat. It actually bends pretty easy with some well placed hits from a 3-5# sledge hammer.

The plastic liner can be softened with a heat gun so you can cut and fold back a section that covers the pinch weld. After learning this procedure here on JeepKJ.com, I explained it to my mechanic. I've used similar methods of molding and folding commercial sheet vinyl and VCT during my 35 years in flooring. Unfortunately, the shop owner tries to discredit every bit of "internet info" I try to pass along, so he gave the mechanic his own instructions. This resulted in him breaking the chunk of plastic covering the pinch weld. He was going to try to glue it back on, but I suggested he just paint the area to protect it from the elements. I'll have it coated with bed liner this spring or summer.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Speaking of heating.... does heating up the pinch weld at the base help hammer the fold over more cleanly? Or would it be more than bother than ROI

No need to heat the pinch weld as it bends fairly easy once you get it started .
The plastic ( wheelwell ) does not take too much heat to get it hot enough to bend . Just take your time is all , this side was done by my son , his first time so not quite up to my standards but close enough.
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.