Me and My '05 Limited, Riding On Air

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...well, on oxygen. I carry a tank on my back and 11 spares in my 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited. And now it is time to prepare to do a 2½-3" lift with the best components I can get. I have already started fulfilling my parts list. To be honest, I don't believe I have a complete list. That's what this discussion is about and how my project unfolds over the next number of weeks or months.

These are the parts necessary for my particular lift. It may not be what you want or will get for your own lift. There are many options. I rely on the expertise of those who have done this often, but the opinions of others will also be welcomed.

My personal priorities are to have a safe ride, better control, more durability, good looks and reasonable cost - in that order. Driving time will be split between country highway driving (only the occasional freeway) and dirt roads, both groomed and rutted out and abandoned. Most of the time I am alone. Since I am restricted by severe emphysema, I won't be gambling too much on off-road trails or real rock crawling, but I do want limited capability to do so.

My Parts List
FRONT:
  • Coilover Assembly
    • OME 2927 front Coil Springs
    • OME 90009 struts
    • Moog K3189 & K3190 Front Strut Mounts
    • Moog K3186 Coil Spring Insulators (4)
  • JBA Strut Spacer Plate Set
  • JBA Upper Control Arms
  • 1903200 TeraFlex Bump Stops
  • Moog K200161 Sway Bar Bushing Kit
  • Moog K7391 Stabilizer Bar Link Kit
  • Moog K7389 rear lower Control Arm Bushings
  • Moog K200258 front lower Control Arm Bushing
  • JBA SS Brake Hose kit for 2½" lift (front & rear)
REAR:
  • Y-Link Extension
  • Rear Bump Stops (4 hockey pucks)
  • OME N132L Shocks
  • OME 2948 rear Coil Springs
  • Rear lower coil spring isolators (2)
  • Rear upper coil spring isolators (4)

I am physically unable to do the lift myself, but I would like to feel like I can contribute some of the labor. I am going to pound down the pinch weld at the back of each front wheel well. I have a friend who will lift the tire off and put it back on. That will be preparation for larger tires after the lift.

The hockey pucks I think I can prepare too. Is it just a ⅜" hole drilled in the center of each? What length bolt? Then use a fender washer top & bottom and a nylon nut?

What other parts do I need? Part numbers, please, if you know them. Isolators? Do I need any bushings? I want to take the springs and struts into the shop ahead of time to have them assembled, so what miscellaneous parts do I need for that? I don't want to have to run to the store for any little thing, if I can help it.

Thanks for any guidance you experts can offer. I'm really looking forward to this project. It will take a while before it's completed though, because of the $$$ involved.

Jim
[Parts List updated 12/18/16 7:12pm Pacific - FINAL]

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
...well, on oxygen. I carry a tank on my back and 11 spares in my 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited. And now it is time to prepare to do a 2½-3" lift with the best components I can get. I have already started fulfilling my parts list. To be honest, I don't believe I have a complete list. That's what this discussion is about and how my project unfolds over the next number of weeks or months.

These are the parts necessary for my particular lift. It may not be what you want or will get for your own lift. There are many options. I rely on the expertise of those who have done this often, but the opinions of others will also be welcomed.

My personal priorities are to have a safe ride, better control, more durability, good looks and reasonable cost - in that order. Driving time will be split between country highway driving (only the occasional freeway) and dirt roads, both groomed and rutted out and abandoned. Most of the time I am alone. Since I am restricted by severe emphysema, I won't be gambling too much on off-road trails or real rock crawling, but I do want limited capability to do so.

My Parts List
  • JBA Upper Control Arms (in)
  • Y-Link Extension (in)
  • OME (Old Man Emu) 2927 Coil Springs (in)
  • OME 2948 Coil Springs (in)
  • OME 90009 Front Struts (in)
  • 1903200 TeraFlex Bump Stops (ordered)
  • Rear Bump Stops [hockey pucks] (in)
  • OME N132L Shocks (ordered)
  • JBA SS Brake Hose kit for 2½" lift

I am physically unable to do the lift myself, but I would like to feel like I can contribute some of the labor. I am going to pound down the pinch weld at the back of each front wheel well. I have a friend who will lift the tire off and put it back on. That will be preparation for larger tires after the lift.

The hockey pucks I think I can prepare too. Is it just a ⅜" hole drilled in the center of each? What length bolt? Then use a fender washer top & bottom and a nylon nut?
YES JIM 3/8 INCH HOLE IN THE CENTER AND IF USING 2 PER SIDE THEN A 2.25-2.5 INCH LONG BOLT

What other parts do I need? Part numbers, please, if you know them. Isolators? ARE YOU GOING 3 INCHES OF LIFT ? IF SO THEN 2 UPPER ISO'S FOR THE REAR AND TOP PLATE FOR THE FRONT
Do I need any bushings? I want to take the springs and struts into the shop ahead of time to have them assembled, so what miscellaneous parts do I need for that? I don't want to have to run to the store for any little thing, if I can help it.
YOU CAN GET THE TOP PLATES AND ISO FROM MOST ANY NAPA, BUT GOOD ONES , THE TOP PLATES WILL COME WITH ONE ISO, ALSO WILL NEED ONE ISO PER SIDE FOR THE BOTTOM NAPA NUMBERS FOR THE FRONT UPPERS ARE KYBSM5386, AND KYBSM5387, LET ME GET THE BOTTOM NUMBERS FOR YOU
Thanks for any guidance you experts can offer. I'm really looking forward to this project. It will take a while before it's completed though, because of the $$$ involved.

Jim

THIS WILL GET YOU STARTED JIM
Whoops sorry caps on,
but are you going 2.5 or 3 inches or do you know yet?

Wish I was closer to you Jim, I'd be right there to help you out on this lift

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This will get you started, Jim.
Whoops sorry caps on,
but are you going 2.5 or 3 inches or do you know yet?

Wish I was closer to you Jim, I'd be right there to help you out on this lift
No problem, Mr. Mudd, I fixed it for you - even added the missing comma. ;)

I think a minimum of 2.5" after the alignment. But I wouldn't mind going a little more - up to the line, but not crossing it, just before it becomes advisable to switch to 4:10 gearing. I wouldn't mind getting 4:10s, but there's so many other things I want to do too (wheels & tires, cat-back, roof rack, more skid plates, bumpers, paint job ((it's silver)), etc.). I know the finished height can be adjusted with isolators and clevis spacers, so I will follow the guidance of you and other experienced liftologists.

There's no doubt in my mind you would be lending a hand if we lived closer. You're that kinda guy. I guess you just like the abuse. :happy175: But I have a good 4x4 mechanic who is looking forward to charging me $65.00 an hour to lift my KJ. He has a bunch of lifts under his belt, but none of them a KJ and most of them spacer lifts from Skyjacker (I think that's the company). He is, however, willing to read all the instructions that come with the parts and any additional information I provide him.

So, what about assembling the front coilovers before doing the actual lift? What parts do I have to add to my list? Are any of the following in that list?

Coil Spring Insulator
Clevis Spacer for Front Struts
Front Strut Spring Isolator
JBA Strut Spacer Plate Set
Moog Front Strut Mount Left & Right Side
Strut Fork Bushing
Strut Fork (I can't find forks anywhere)​

Thanks.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
One thing you might want to double check is that the shocks you get are actually 132Ls, they got discontinued.

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing you might want to double check is that the shocks you get are actually 132Ls, they got discontinued.

I just got a pair of N132L's and they have it stamped right on them.

Im pretty sure me and Jim got the last two pairs in existance. There is ONE available on amazon.com and ONE available on amazon.ca last i checked. Update: Just looked on amazon.ca and there are TWO available again. amazon.com still shows only one.

To pre assemble the front struts you dont really need a new clevis fork. I mean you could but its really easy to take the old one off yourself and swap it to the new one. One bolt to unto and maybe a pry bar. nothing else special.

But you will needthe upper and lower rubber isolators and the top mounting plate in addition to your new shocks and springs to get the front struts assembled ahead of time

The clevis spacer and the top spacer plate get put on while you are installing.

Last edited:

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will not need a new strut fork, just reuse the current one's. One thing that you should have done before you lift is a complete inspection of all of the suspension bushings. The bushings are cheap and can be replaced while the jeep is apart. I would also get new moog sway bar end links. Most importantly all of the suspension component bolts and nuts needs to torqued to spec fallowing the factory service manual. Here is the link for the service manuals. Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
another thing to consider is that the need for 4.10 gears does not arise from lift height but rather tire size. it is also not a "need to have" but it is a "nice to have". again only if you are going with a larger than stock tire size. without 4.10 gears you will feel like you have lost a tiny bit of power only becuase it take more power to get the larger mass spinning. 4.10 gears corrects that and even with bigger tires it will feel like the stock wheels are on. as long as you dont plan on putting anything larger than a 245/75/16 on the KJ when you upgrade it will still be plenty driveable with the stock gears

also for lift height. if you only want a 2.5" inch lift then all you need is the shocks and springs you have ordered. but since you are already getting the 132L shocks and the y link extension you can go higher on the rear just by adding one or two extra upper isolators per side on the rear. and then to bring the front up to match you need a clevis lift with spacer or conduit nuts, and/or a top plate spacer for your struts. this can get you to the 3"- 3.5" range.

After just doing my 05 I would also recommend you get the LCA bushings where the clevis fork connects replaced. mine sat almost half an inch higher after i replaced those bushings. it takes a bit of work, (less tough more tedious), to replace them with the LCA still on the jeep but IMO well worth it and necessary at this age of the jeeps life.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Im pretty sure me and Jim got the last two pairs in existance.
I contacted ARB before ordering shocks and they told me that only front struts had been discontinued and were replaced with the 90009s. The 132Ls were still being produced. I sure hope the ones I ordered from ebay seller, uspartsoutlet, are the right parts. They have a 99.8% positive feedback rating, so I think it will be okay.

...you will need the upper and lower rubber isolators and the top mounting plate in addition to your new shocks and springs to get the front struts assembled ahead of time

The clevis spacer and the top spacer plate get put on while you are installing.
Thanks. So, this is my parts list for only the coilovers:
  • OME 90009 struts
  • Moog K3186 Coil Spring Insulator (isolators - 4)
Please let me know if I have left anything off the list for the coilover pre-assembly.

One thing that you should have done before you lift is a complete inspection of all of the suspension bushings. The bushings are cheap and can be replaced while the jeep is apart. I would also get new moog sway bar end links. Most importantly all of the suspension component bolts and nuts needs to torqued to spec fallowing the factory service manual. Here is the link for the service manuals. Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ
Thanks for this info. Since the KJ has over 110K miles on it, the bushings are relatively cheap and it would cost me shop labor and delay to have them inspected (I wouldn't know what to look for, even if I could crawl around down there), I should just get all new bushings. Here's my tentative list. Please let me know if I need to add anything to it. Prob'ly missing all of the rear bushings.
  • Strut Fork Bushing
  • Moog Front Lower Control Arm Bushing
  • Moog K7391 Stabilizer Bar Link Kit (2)
I'll follow you guys' advice and use the existing strut forks.

Thanks for all the support.

Last edited:

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. So, this is my parts list for only the coilovers:
  • OME 90009 struts
  • Moog K3186 Coil Spring Insulator (isolators - 4)
Please let me know if I have left anything off the list for the coilover pre-assembly.

This list looks complete to me for a pre-assembled strut

• Strut Fork Bushing
  • Moog Front Lower Control Arm Bushing
  • Moog K7391 Stabilizer Bar Link Kit (2)

I would get all of those except for the front lower control arm bushing. Unless yours is really really bad. but I believe that would require removing the LCA. I dont think that one would be necessary right now although i guess replacing any bushing at this age is a good thing really.

Thanks for all the support.

Thats what were here for! :happy160:

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just updated the complete parts list in my first post:
My Parts List
  • Y-Link Extension (in)
  • Front Coilover Assembly
    • OME 2927 front Coil Springs (in)
    • OME 90009 struts (in)
    • Moog K3186 Coil Spring Insulators (isolators)
  • Clevis Spacer for Front Struts
  • Moog K80767 Ball Joints
  • Rear lower coil spring isolator
  • Rear upper coil spring isolator

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Good news on the 132Ls. I love mine.

You could wait on LCA bushings if you don't have any clunks now. I'm at 157k on my factory ones. I might stick with Mopar ones- if the Moog ones are the same ones they supply with their control arms they're pretty soft and might not last long.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't I hear somewhere on JeepKJ forums that the LCA bushings were a recall and the replacements were Moogs, or others suggested Moogs were better than the Mopar?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
There was a ball joint recall like back in 08. I got mine replaced back then under the recall. Can't recall a bushing recall :D

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, okay, I was confused. It was the ball joint I heard about. I s'pose I should take my KJ into a Jeep dealer/service center and have them inspect it for any recalls.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
My Parts List
  • Y-Link Extension (in)
    • OME 90009 struts (in)

So with the 3/8 inch clevis spacer and top plate you will be close to 4 inches ( 3.5-3.75 settled in.
SO if going that high then you also need to add to the rear ( adding upper iso's ) Are you ordering lowers just to replace the stock ones or ??

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Parts List
  • Y-Link Extension (in)
    • OME 90009 struts (in)

Looks good Jim. Exciting times - will be like a new Jeep :waytogo:

Above I bolded/highlighted the rear isolators. You don't need to get a lower isolator - just get two additional upper isolators. Two will raise you up about 3.5" so just one extra upper will get you to about 3" even. In the front if you add the JBA top plate and 3 conduit nuts you'll be in that 3 to 3.5" range. That's where we set Prof's KJ when we did his lift a couple of weeks ago.

Everything's looking good so far!

Bob

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So with the 3/8 inch clevis spacer and top plate you will be close to 4 inches ( 3.5-3.75 settled in.
SO if going that high then you also need to add to the rear ( adding upper iso's ) Are you ordering lowers just to replace the stock ones or ??
See, this is why I need help with the parts list. I wanna stick to my original height specification: 2½-3". I don't mind going a hair over, since my understanding is that it will end up a bit lower after the front end alignment.

I did add some parts, including the lower isolators, to replace the older, 100K-worn parts. I don't want to do this half-assed, of course, and dread finding squeaks and other noises or problems after the lift is done that could have been prevented by spending a few dollars more. On the other hand, I don't want to blow money either. If a part is totally uncalled for, I don't want to get it just for the shine factor.

I think the kind of driving I will be doing, 2½-3" of lift is perfect. If I was a healthy guy and a lot more social (going on rock crawling trips with other enthusiasts), then I might be trying to get as much height as possible. I'm neither healthy or very social though (I'm social online, but kinda a loner in real life), so a lift greater than 3" is prob'ly not what I should be doing.

You don't need to get a lower isolator - just get two additional upper isolators. Two will raise you up about 3.5" so just one extra upper will get you to about 3" even.
So, keeping in mind what I said above, one isolator on each side will give me 3" of lift in the rear? Will this be affected by an alignment?

In the front if you add the JBA top plate and 3 conduit nuts you'll be in that 3 to 3.5" range. That's where we set Prof's KJ when we did his lift a couple of weeks ago.
You are referring to the JBA Strut Spacer Plate Set, right? And the conduit nuts are the 2" variety you can find at most hardware stores, right?

You must be registered for see images

I need 3 of them on each side and the quarter-inch spacer plate on each side for a 3" lift after settling?

Thanks you guys.

Last edited:

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See, this is why I need help with the parts list. I wanna stick to my original height specification: 2½-3". I don't mind going a hair over, since my understanding is that it will end up a bit lower after the front end alignment.

I did add some parts, including the lower isolators, to replace the older, 100K-worn parts. I don't want to do this half-assed, of course, and dread finding squeaks and other noises or problems after the lift is done that could have been prevented by spending a few dollars more. On the other hand, I don't want to blow money either. If a part is totally uncalled for, I don't want to get it just for the shine factor.

I think the kind of driving I will be doing, 2½-3" of lift is perfect. If I was a healthy guy and a lot more social (going on rock crawling trips with other enthusiasts), then I might be trying to get as much height as possible. I'm neither healthy or very social though (I'm social online, but kinda a loner in real life), so a lift greater than 3" is prob'ly not what I should be doing.

So, keeping in mind what I said above, one isolator on each side will give me 3" of lift in the rear? Will this be affected by an alignment?

You are referring to the JBA Strut Spacer Plate Set, right? And the conduit nuts are the 2" variety you can find at most hardware stores, right?

You must be registered for see images

I need 3 of them on each side and the quarter-inch spacer plate on each side for a 3" lift after settling?

Thanks you guys.

with JUST the shocks and springs you have ordered, no extra spacers on the front or isolators on the rear, you will achieve 2.5"of lift.

if you want to go just a hair higher. then on the rear you should have one EXTRA upper isolator per side (meaning a total of two upper isolators per side) and then on the front do either the 1/4" strut spacer plate OR the clevis spacer.

if you do both the strut plate spacer AND the clevis spacer you will end up around the 3.5" of lift mark

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Jim here is my 2 cents worth
I would get the shocks and springs you have listed
then in the front just do the top plate for 3 inches of lift
Rear do one extra upper iso per side ( so 2 on top , with new one on the bottom
You are right if you are doing it right just replace them
But everything else looks fine on the list

3 inches of lift will not cause a lot of headaches down the road.
Another thing to add may be the rear u-joints. Depending on when they were changed ( or if they ever have ) when going to a different angle sometimes they will give you vibes.