Me and My '05 Limited, Riding On Air

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
No prob...could also put some chalk on the tires and see where they rub. But that's the general area I'm expecting you'll get rubbing on. You'll get a feel for it quick enough. Won't hurt anything to let it rub for a bit. Mine did for a few years and it worked out. :D

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, with the knobby tires like the Discoverer STT Pro, letting it "rub for a bit" could end up sounding a lot like those playing cards I stuck in my bicycle spokes when I was a kid. ;)

No call from them today. :( Keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Mine only sounded off in reverse...when the rotation was down they were quiet. But yeah it sounds just like that. I think it's a status symbol. :D

rockdart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice thread. Got me to join. I'm putting in a JBA 2.5" Gold lift kit when it arrives. Got the rims and tires picked out (Discount Tire!) and the new stereo going in next Wednesday. I bought some 1.5" Spidertrax spacers in case the 5" BS on rims rub with the 245/75 16's. Not going anywhere near a beefy as what Jim's got going on - I'll be doing more urban exploring and multi-state driving than taking advantage of the mountains in my backyard.

Well, for now anyway.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice thread. Got me to join. I'm putting in a JBA 2.5" Gold lift kit when it arrives. Got the rims and tires picked out (Discount Tire!) and the new stereo going in next Wednesday. I bought some 1.5" Spidertrax spacers in case the 5" BS on rims rub with the 245/75 16's. Not going anywhere near a beefy as what Jim's got going on - I'll be doing more urban exploring and multi-state driving than taking advantage of the mountains in my backyard.

Well, for now anyway.

Pushing the wheels out further causes more rubbing than being stock unless you pound the pinch welds over (easy fix)
I have 31s with 4" backspaced wheels and 3.25" of lift and mines close even with the pinch welds pounded over
You're taking a 1.5" spacer which will push them out even further than mine..

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice thread. Got me to join.
That's great! Welcome. There's no better KJ oriented forum around. I should be good on brownie points for a week or two now. :D

It was a harrowing ride to Reno today. More rain in my neck of the woods than we've seen in many years. Lots of floods, property damage and several mud slides and road washouts. Nasty. I told a CHP friend I was headed to Reno this morning and she really didn't want me to chance it, until I told her it would bring back fond memories of barreling down muddy dirt roads during monsoons in Vietnam, with the occasional gunfire. Except without the gunfire. And the barreling. :D

It was kind of a fun drive. There were a few places I had to traverse flooded road on the way over and the wind was pretty harsh. These damn KJ weather seals on the doors get pretty loud when the wind hits them just right. But it still didn't drown out the howling my original tires made going down the highway at 50mph. On the way back, it's a totally different story. Still loud as hell with the wind noise, but the new tires are definitely quieter than the old ones. You can hear them and you can even feel them at low speed, but nothing objectionable at all.

The drive back was a little scarier. A lot more flooding in just 3 hours. In some places it was over my hubs. A lot of cars were getting stranded because they splashed too much and literally flooded their engines. The wind, though, was even more dangerous. In one 5-mile stretch, there were 3 big rig trailers overturned and one was blown across the shoulder and turned almost all the way around jackknifed.

Amazingly enough, there was no rain falling while I was at Discount Tire - hardly any rain at all in Reno. It was kinda slow at the shop, so I had 2 or 3 guys working on my Jeep and they had me in and out of there really fast. One wheel had a flaw, so they are ordering a replacement and leaving the flawed wheel & its tire mounted as my spare. Those people treated me really well. I liked doing business with them a lot.

You must be registered for see images

Oh yeah, almost forgot... they tested the clearances before they made the final mounts. There was a small area at the front portion of the front wheel wells that had to be trimmed. They did a neat job of it and never charged me extra for it. There is no scraping at any point lock to lock on flat pavement now. But I did notice some scraping when I rolled over a small tree (maybe 6 or 8" diameter) that had fallen across the road. I had the wheel turned some when I heard it. I'll have to sort that out when it quits raining.

rockdart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thx. I won't be taking them out of the package unless they're needed. I wouldn't mind widening it a bit though... I'm going to be putting one <a href=http://tepuitents.com/collections/jeep-roof-tents/products/kukenam-ruggedized-roof-top-tent>one of these</a> on it. They're only ~115 lbs, but a starting lower center of gravity would be nice.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow Jim - that's really sharp. You gotta be pretty d**n happy.
Yep, real happy. :gr_grin:

Are those rims really bead lock rims?
No, those are faux beadlocks, but they are the best fake ones I've seen. The company actually makes a beadlock version of the same wheel and it's very hard to tell the difference - unless you look at the invoice. :eek:

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Looks beautiful! Discount tire has treated me well. I remember when I first got my man tires and walked out to see the Jeep and I thought "How the hell am I going to turn this thing?" Lol. :D Wouldn't worry about that rubbing.

Keep us updated on those tires!

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thx. I won't be taking them out of the package unless they're needed. I wouldn't mind widening it a bit though... I'm going to be putting one <a href=http://tepuitents.com/collections/jeep-roof-tents/products/kukenam-ruggedized-roof-top-tent>one of these</a> on it. They're only ~115 lbs, but a starting lower center of gravity would be nice.

I was looking at doing the same. I didn't order the spacers yet. I'm waiting to hear more about how they will work and look with my stock rims but new upgrades. (Listed in my thread)

I also joined after reading this thread. I felt everything was well documented and listed in a easy-to-follow thread.

I think your jeep has a very clean and refined look. The color is my favorite first off , the wheels and tires are aggressive looking but functional, and the lift looks spot-on

Nice work!

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also joined after reading this thread. I felt everything was well documented and listed in a easy-to-follow thread.
Thanks man, I appreciate that. Gee, I wonder if I get a commission for all these new members. :icon_razz:

I think your jeep has a very clean and refined look. The color is my favorite first off , the wheels and tires are aggressive looking but functional, and the lift looks spot-on

Nice work!
Thanks again. But you should keep that color choice under yer hat. Some here - I won't name names tommudd - think silver is the ugliest, awfullest, dullest color for a Jeep. My last ride was also silver, so I'm kinda over it too. If I had the money, I'd do a 2-tone green - a grey-green - darker on the flares and lower body, lighter on the rest of the body. That way the grey interior would still look good with it. But I'm hoping to get different bumpers first. The only ready-made one seems to be an ARB front bumper, but I don't like the boxy look of that one. There's been talk of someone tommudd going to maybe make a nice looking rear bumper, so I hope that happens.

I think my next goal should be to finish the skid plates. I have the transfer case covered, so I need to get the engine and transmission covered. I wanna do a rock rail with an extended rail that I can use like a step to get my fat ass into the seat. The new tires raised it another 3/4". :help:

Last edited:

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good, think you helped me decide on my next tires

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dayum Jim that Jeep is looking good now. Every time this year I've tried to grab a set of wheels life says no.:Insane:...and no that wasn't a typo for wife ya clowns.:happy175:

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A gentle reminder - the pictures will help. I'm hoping to hear from Discount Tires today or tomorrow to tell me they are ready to get me on my new rims & tires. If any additional trimming of the wheel well liner needs to be done, I'd like to know where that would be.

Thanks.

Other option I did after i removed the front air dam to address rubbing in front of front tires was to wedge something between tire and the wheel liner.

block of wood, soft ball, golf ball, hammer, whatever was the right size and heat it up till you chicken out and let it cool on its own slowly. When it does it will be formed to the new shape. Might have to turn the wheel in a variety of orientations to get it the right distance / shape.

I used a hammer off the knuckle when i had the wheel off one day. Worked great. ymmv and don't heat the tire

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other option I did after i removed the front air dam to address rubbing in front of front tires was to wedge something between tire and the wheel liner.

block of wood, soft ball, golf ball, hammer, whatever was the right size and heat it up till you chicken out and let it cool on its own slowly. When it does it will be formed to the new shape. Might have to turn the wheel in a variety of orientations to get it the right distance / shape.

I used a hammer off the knuckle when i had the wheel off one day. Worked great. ymmv and don't heat the tire

I actually melted the plastic with a heat gun and pushed it with the edge of a hammer when it was all soft and melty. Worked just fine! :winner_third_h4h:

rockdart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of heating.... does heating up the pinch weld at the base help hammer the fold over more cleanly? Or would it be more than bother than ROI

Latest posts

Members online