Making Ms Liberty mine thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good! :cheers:

Is there much CB activity out your way? Here in the Cleveland area it's mostly a bunch of wannabe disc jockeys trying to sound cool. When I get a little closer to one of the Interstates it gets a little more useful.

You get that as well? I get a lot of overpowered cb signals around here that can be heard for whole states. Kicker is they don't shut up.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do wonder what ol red is compensating for with his 102" whip?

Not compensation, setting a good example for the rest of you boys to follow.

Is there much CB activity out your way? Here in the Cleveland area it's mostly a bunch of wannabe disc jockeys trying to sound cool. When I get a little closer to one of the Interstates it gets a little more useful

No mostly skip from all over the world. I just want it set up so my wife and I can talk, and to use it while on a trip.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You get that as well? I get a lot of overpowered cb signals around here that can be heard for whole states. Kicker is they don't shut up.

We've got a guy who drives past almost every day using an illegal booster. I know that because his voice comes through loud and clear on every speaker in the house - on or off, no matter.

Eventually, we'll figure out who and complain to the cops. I'm tired of being woken up at 2 am by his inane chatter.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm tired of being woken up at 2 am by his inane chatter

Great choice of words to describe the way they talk Leeann. "Inane Chatter" I like it. I find those who do this "Inane Chatter" do not even understand what you called it, let alone define it. LOL I love it. Sometimes I think they talk just to hear themselves talk. (banghead)

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...Sometimes I think they talk just to hear themselves talk...

There's one guy I hear regularly who seems to think he is the Garrison Keillor of the NE Ohio CB airwaves. Story after story about idiotic crap he just made up. I can't stand either one of them...

:Rant:

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep hearing a guy on channel 6 that bleeds over to 3 or 4 adjacent channels. Thing is, he is in Mobile AL and I am in Oregon. That's what I mean about the skip. He repeats himself over and over again. Drives me nuts. He overdrives the locals who use channel 3 here.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was a kid, I remember going in the truck with my dad, and he had his Cobra with all the toys in it. It had all the sound boards installed, echo board, 4 pills, and was connected with a 1000 watt linear and a 400 watt modulator. Then he added all the extra channels, so he had 200 to choose from. He got tired of all the knuckleheads with the big radios who would talk over people just to be an ass so he went bigger. He used to have conversations with people in Turkey (the country) on that radio. One thing I'll never forget though, he ended up buying someone else a radio once. We were at a truck stop right after he installed it all in the truck, and someone next to him keyed up at the same time my dad did, and we could see smoke pouring out of the other guys radio. He always turned the extras off after that unless he was way out in the middle of nowhere.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought one at Amazon for about $20 and it works fine. I needed to buy a short patch cable separately. The nice thing about buying one is that you're almost guaranteed to find the old one right after you order it.

That's funny. My wife said the same exact thing. I did buy a cheapo $10.00 analog meter Friday, along with the wiring harness for the hitch. The other meter hasn't shown up yet though. I'll let you know when it does.

I'll be curious to see what you do for the hitch wiring. I'm probably going to bite the bullet and pay for the OEM kit, since a lot of the snap-on ones look like junk. Let me know what you end up with. (And enjoy the CB!) :)

I did not go with the plug and play model. Seeing as though I am an electronics engineer, I went ahead and manually wired it myself. I got the universal 5 to 4 wire conversion kit from a local auto shop for $14.99. Works like a charm!

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions for adding an oil pressure gage? I hate idiot lights, as my dad used to call them.

Finished up all the wiring and put the trailer on a couple days ago. With a 2" drop stinger, I could not put the trailer on. The flip up part of the trailer side hit the spare tire. I bought a 3 1/4" drop stinger last night and it works perfectly. The trailer is even more level than before, so it was a good upgrade anyway. Tested the lights on the trailer and all worked as expected. Woo Hoo!

Now to test the boat trailer and see if it also works and to see how it pulls. I can't wait to go trout fishing in the nearby lake. Always good trout fishing in Eel Lake/Tugman State park. Ten Mile has great Bass fishing, and is a few miles closer. I like the taste of trout better though.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Lift it and then you won't have to worry about the hitch / trailer combo :waytogo:
My trailer sits on 265-70-16s and still have to run a 6 inch drop hitch. No worries of hitting the spare tire :rockit::icon_rolleyes:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Mopar ****** skid plate you can have for $60 shipped if you want it. I modded it slightly so it would fit my '03 so it will fit yours as we'll. Let me know...

Bob

Hey Mike, here are the long-awaited pics of the Mopar ****** skid. I modded it slightly to fit my '03 (it's for an '05 - '07) but it should fit all model year KJ's. Same deal as before - $60 shipped.

Top (against the ******):
You must be registered for see images

Bottom (facing the ground):
You must be registered for see images

Let me know...

Bob

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good to me... What did you have to do to modify it to fit your '03?

In the circular-shaped section on the bottom in the pics there were two additional tabs that were used to bolt the skid to the crossmember for a total of 6 bolts. I removed the tabs since my '03 only uses two bolts on that end (the engine end.) Shouldn't make a difference as to how it bolts up - 4 total bolts is plenty. I also created clearance for the exhaust crosspipe using my BFH to "massage" the longitudinal rails.

By the way, the trans skid I bought from JBA originally didn't provide for that clearance and Marlin sent me another skid that was wider to accommodate the exhaust pipes on mine. Jeep changed the routing of the exhaust seemingly every year of the KJ's production - maddening for fabricators like JBA :icon_evil:

Bob

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is what I did on Saturday. I added D rings to the front end.
Here are the parts laid out.
02redkj-albums-02-libby-picture4970-img-20140426-154507-876.jpg

The left side:
02redkj-albums-02-libby-picture4972-img-20140426-182513-257.jpg

The right side
02redkj-albums-02-libby-picture4971-img-20140426-182503-530.jpg

Overall
02redkj-albums-02-libby-picture4974-img-20140426-182454-199.jpg

You see the small rectangle piece? I used that inside the tube frame as added backing stability. Then the Triangleish piece with three holes is used to sort of sandwich the tube frame as well as to gusset it laterally. Then the drop hitch with the grade 8 1/2x3 1/2 bolts and 1 grade 8 1/2 x 1" bolt and nuts to hold it all together. I wanted it closer to the outside, so I used a 2" drop stinger. The D rings are rated at 9500 lbs each. The stingers are 6000 lbs each, so I think if the frame attachments can hold up I think this will be a solid solution until I can get one of those fancy bumpers I have seen on here. This is all my pocketbook can handle right now.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good.

Dave

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice job! :waytogo:

Maybe I'll get around to doing mine one of these days. :emotions33:

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been a rough few weeks at work, so I haven't had time to get on here and offer any updates.

I told you guys I had to replace the radiator on the what did you do to your Jeep today thread I think. I also serviced the ******, changed both filters and replaced the fluids on the 3rd I think. That was a success. No leaks any more and the fluid is back to red. I am having trouble figuring out if I have enough fluid in it though. Am I supposed to read the level whil in Park or in Neutral? It is the 45*** ******, not the 42***. I put a full 5 qts in, but am not seeing anything really on the stick, so I added about 1 to 1.5 pints more, and it is on there but not very much, while in Park. It shifts a LOT smoother than before, and doesn't Clunk into gear anymore.

On Saturday the 10th, I took my wife for a real nice drive down the coast. When we got into Port Orford we had lunch and then decided to look around town. Well, the first street we came to took us right out to the beach. There was a really steep hill down to the beach, but you could see where other cars had driven down, so I decided to go for it. I got down the hill just fine and started out on the sand. You couldn't tell from above, but the sand was not really sand. It was more like a bagillion BB sized dry pebbles. Needless to say, the Jeep sunk about 100 yards from the hard pack. When I say sunk, I mean up to the gills.

I look at the tide and realize, it is coming in. I start diggin, my wife starts digging on the other side. She goes and finds some 1x6 planks, but only finds three of them. I have it in 4Lo and try to back up to a harder portion of sand. but my right front tire is all that is moving. We try to get that tire some traction, but seeing as though we are still high centered both fore to aft, but also side to side. There isn't enough weight to get any traction. About this time, a guy with his two teen sons show up and start helping us dig. I lower the pressure in the tires, and put it in 2WD. We dug until it was no longer high centered, and I got in and backed up until I was fully on the boards and some other driftwood that we placed under the right front. Then I put it in 4Hi and backed up about another 8 feet while turning slightly. Then I stopped and turned slightly the other way, so I can turn around the rest of the way. I have it in 4Hi and then put it in 2nd gear and eased forward and built up speed gradually and finally I was going about 20 mph I floored it to keep the momentum. I didn't stop until I caught a little bit of air at the top of that steep hill. My poor wife had to walk up to me. I told he I was sorry, and she broke out laughing. She said she had a great time, nothing to be sorry for, it was FUN! God, I love this woman!

2 days ago, my son and I detail it out, and wax it for the first time since buying it in December. The waxing I mean, it has been washed a lot. I cut out some floor mats out of some 1/2 inch floor rubber for the rear seat area and behind the rear seat too.

I installed a 1000W power inverter in prep for my trip this week to the I-5 corridore, on sales calls. I only have to power a laptop and printer from a parking lot at hotels, if I make some sales. Going to be gone for a week this trip. I am excited. It has been a while since I have been out of the home office for work.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like an eventful month of May so far! :icon_mrgreen: