Making Ms Liberty mine thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check trans level in "N",should state it right on the dipstick itself.
No, just 4 holes in the dipstick. No writing. What is the true capacity of the trans? I know it will be more than a regular fluid change, because of the radiator swap at the same time, but I sure don't want to overfill it.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking about changing out the exhaust. Looking for something with a little more flow as well as something that will give it a good throaty sound. What would you guys recommend? I would like to do it this weekend.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got around to writing about what I did on this past Friday to Ms. Liberty. I went and shopped around the local parts houses to find a modestly aggressive muffler which would improve the exhaust flow, while maintaining a good amount of back pressure, so my low end would remain as good as it was or improve it, while improving the sound at the same time. I found one that Knecht's auto parts has made for them. It is very similar to the Flowmaster 50 series mufflers, but at a fraction of the cost. $44.00 to be exact. He also guaranteed that if I didn't like the performance and sound, he would get me the Flowmaster for no extra charge. I couldn't beat that deal, so I went for it. I did a bolt on solution and cut the old stock muffler off and added about an 8" pice of pipe to fill the gap. Three clamps and the muffler and pipe cost me $58.00 total. I went home and got busy. Guess what.... I love it. It sounds great. I barely have to give it any gas and it is up to highway speeds before you know it. It has more lower end torque than before as I noticed on Saturday when my daughter and I went fishing. I was able to pull the boat up a very long steep grade without any trouble at all. When I pulled it up that same hill before, it did good, but it had to shift down, whereas this time it didn't.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know its been a while since browsing the ol' KJ forum, but I thought I would stop in and give an update on my Liberty.

The only thing I have done lately is drive it, drive it, drive it, and today, because of all that driving, I changed the oil. I installed a new Bosch filter and Mobile1 FULL Synthetic for the first time since the new engine was installed. I started her up after the change, and boy she sure smoothed right out. I drove around town about ten miles and she ran really good.

I am still having a little bit of trouble with the injectors though. She misses ever so slightly under a heavy load on acceleration. There is this one hill in particular here in town that she does it on every time. You come up to a 90* turn and then increase the steepness of the hill quite a few degrees and go up to 40MPH speed limit after slowing to about 10MPH. On steady acceleration, she misses very slightly every time I go up that hill. It is a major thoroughfare from downtown to my house, so I go that way often. I can get it to do it when I am pulling my boat too.

My thought is that it may be a dirty injector, or a low fuel pressure on the fuel pump or something. It seems a little starved during that time. It gets worse if I really step on it too.

Any thoughts?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You sure its a miss and not the ******? Is OD on or off? I get a little flutter now and then in similar situations when the ****** seems to be deciding on shifting.

I'd try the Techron first. That stuff has worked well for me too.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just added some Lucas Oil Injector cleaner for this tank, I'll look into the techron stuff too. Is that a Chevron product?

As for the ******, it don't matter whether the OD is on or off. Its mid power band and only under a load.

I had it really do it to me when merging onto the freeway uphill in front of a big rig that wouldn't move over or slow down. I really gassed it, and it bogged way down and sounded like I killed it. It wouldn't upshift either when it was supposed to and went to nearly 5000 RPM before I could get out of the way of that idiot truck driver.

I had to pull over and turn it off for a few minutes. It has ran fine other than the situation I described ever since. This is a brand new engine, if you read all of my older posts here. It really does purr like a kitten at idle now and at top speed of maybe 70MPH is all I have driven it on a trip to California in August. Got about 19-21MPG with the air conditioner running the whole time too. I drive like an old man now. I hate it.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine only has about 5000 miles on it. Spark plugs are only a few thousand miles old, due to other issues during the engine swap, i swapped them for another set. I gapped and put them in myself, and are ngk cheapies, just like it calls for.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Compression test was good. I did that after the big rig ordeal. It was doing it before the big rig ordeal also. It was just very noticeable during that situation.

It really feels like it is not getting enough fuel, and is starving under a heavy load.

Oh well... Let's see what the Lucas Oil injector cleaner does. I only drive about 20 miles a week, so it will take a while for it to right itself. Although I do see some upcoming work in the field, so it will be driven more over the next few months.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a place that will take my injectors and clean them and flow test them to make sure they are all flowing evenly? If so, got a link? Also, what does something like that cost? New injectors are about $60 each locally.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad you're getting some help. If I knew more I'd chime in myself, but in the meantime I'll have to just wish you luck! :)