Making Ms Liberty mine thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My interior is grey and so are my liners. My stepdaughter sits pax rear, but I don't have rear liners...yet.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the weathertech liners. They look the same but the drivers one has a hole in it to hook on that floor hook to hold the mat tightly in place. The problem is the lip around the hole isn't very high and the water from the melted snow sloshes right over the lip and onto your carpet. Huskies next time!

Alan
The Husky's have a raised block that the hook goes into and is totally sealed.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to hijack your thread, 02redKJ.

Call me Mike! LOL I prefer that much better than 02redkj. That was all I could think of real quick when signing up. :D

Sounds like it will be the Huskies for me too. I see they only have tan in the fronts. The back seat and cargo liners are only in black and gray. Would have liked them to match. My interior is khaki, so I thought the tan would look best in front. Maybe a black cargo and no back seat. I have mats for the back seat already. They are good enough. It is just my daughter back there usually. Lately its been all three.

How about the hitches??? I am not sure which one to get. I am leaning towards the Curt though.

Which one first? The liners or the hitch?

Also, best place to get armor???

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw the black and grey for the front at Amazon, Mike. :)

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Call me Mike! LOL I prefer that much better than 02redkj. That was all I could think of real quick when signing up. :D

Sounds like it will be the Huskies for me too. I see they only have tan in the fronts. The back seat and cargo liners are only in black and gray. Would have liked them to match. My interior is khaki, so I thought the tan would look best in front. Maybe a black cargo and no back seat. I have mats for the back seat already. They are good enough. It is just my daughter back there usually. Lately its been all three.

How about the hitches??? I am not sure which one to get. I am leaning towards the Curt though.

Which one first? The liners or the hitch?

Also, best place to get armor???

I have the black ones in my KJ, I have the tan interior, I think it looks good.
You must be registered for see images attach

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna be in trouble with both the WeatherTech and Husky Liner folks - cuz I have both in my KJ :emotions133:

The WeatherTechs in front fit perfectly but the hole for the hook on the drivers side does pose a problem when you track a bunch of snow in. When it melts it goes through the hole and on to the carpet. I have the Husky Liners in the back seat and the cargo area - mainly because Summit Racing's HQ is ten minutes away and they had the custom fits in stock. But they're not a downgrade from the WT's at all. The Husky's fit perfectly. And I like having liners in the backseat for when I toss the snow brush back there the melting snow doesn't go on the carpet - it stays in the mats and either evaporates or I dump the water when I get a chance. And since I do carry passengers every once in a while their dirty shoes don't create a carpet cleaning job for me ;)

As for the hitch...I had a Curt on another vehicle and though it fit just fine and the construction was good there were two things that bothered me about it. One, it began rusting soon after I installed it. The tubes are all enclosed so it was just external surface rust, but still. Second, the receiver tube was just a little too big for the hitch and so there was a lot of banging when towing because the hitch had too much play and slop. Drove me crazy! My OEM hitch on the KJ is the correct size so no banging when towing the same trailer.

My 2 cents, Mike! :waytogo:

Bob

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was reading this and got to thinking, in 9.5 years of owning mine I've never done a build thread on it.......oh well too late now :burnout::burnout:

Its never too late to start!!!!

And for hitches, i have the mopar one and its done everything ive asked it too

Sent from my iPhone using the power of children's laughter

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Mopar ****** skid plate you can have for $60 shipped if you want it. I modded it slightly so it would fit my '03 so it will fit yours as we'll. Let me know...

Bob

Got a pic? I am really so ignorant of these things, I do not know what they would even cost new. Got a Transfer case skid plate anyone?

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Pro Series 51054 on mine and am very, very happy.

You must be registered for see images attach

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a pic? I am really so ignorant of these things, I do not know what they would even cost new. Got a Transfer case skid plate anyone?

I'll get a pic today - have to pull it out of the KJ parts bin in the garage :smoke2:

I think I paid $75 or so new - shipping not included. Try DaveysJeeps.com to see if he has any KJ transfer case skids.

Bob

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll get a pic today - have to pull it out of the KJ parts bin in the garage :smoke2:

I think I paid $75 or so new - shipping not included. Try DaveysJeeps.com to see if he has any KJ transfer case skids.

Bob

Ok, sounds good. I'll check out Daveys too. Thanks for the link. I'll have to wait until next paycheck to get the skid plate from you.

Here's why!

After work yesterday, my daughter and I took Ms. for a drive to finish up the deliberate driving, to break in the new engine. We went just over 300 miles. As luck would have it, along the way in Eugene, the largest city closest to my house, I came across a Uhaul hitch center. This place is huge. I have never seen a Uhaul dealer this big, or as nice. They even have a storage facility on site. We went in and checked out their hitches. They had a few different types in stock. I picked the one that fit the budget and was made good, and brought it home with me.

The Jeep did great except during one part of the trip that about scared me to death. Picture this...
Driving at 70mph on I5 nearing a curve, with a semi truck pulling doubles in the slow lane, me in the fast lane next to the semi, when a terrenchal downpour hits. It's dark and you turn the windshield wipers on, but instead of wiping the rain away they do nothing. It was, as if, they were hydroplaning. I just held on and kept the center divider the same distance away while slowing down. I got to 55 Before the windshield wipers started doing what they are supposed to do.
Phew, that was scary.

It was after 7pm by then, so Wal Mart, here we come for new windshield wipers. Got some Rain X hybrids for $30.00 a pair. As we were leaving the auto dept. I saw a steering wheel cover that has the Jeep official logo on it, it's black leather with white lettering, which matches the steering wheel perfectly, so I got it on clearance for $10.00. The leather on my wheel had twisted and felt weird, so this is a huge improvement.

My daughter and I just spent the last hour installing the hitch between rain showers. It is a Uhaul branded hitch that was made by Hidden Hitch. I only paid $129.95 for it. That included hardware and a lifetime warranty. It is a custom fit hitch, not a universal hitch. I like it. It fit perfectly, and was easy to install.

The only trouble we had was one bolt and that want the hitche's fault. The trail pipe runs right above that bolt, so you can't easily geta wrench in there, and certainly not the torque wrench. We got it finished though and it looks great. My daughter did awesome helping me, was happy to do it and we had fun too. I think everyone needs to learn to work on their own cars, even if it's just enough to do routine maintenance, otherwise they may become victims of a not so honest shop someday.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
My daughter did awesome helping me, was happy to do it and we had fun too. I think everyone needs to learn to work on their own cars...

:waytogo:

My daughter will be home from university soon... I can't wait!

Already have the automotive lesson plan ready :D

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
My daughter will be home from university soon... I can't wait!

Already have the automotive lesson plan ready :D

Translation: Luke will sit in a chair and drink beer while his poor kid washes and waxes the Jeep. :gr_grin:

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:waytogo:

My daughter will be home from university soon...

Nice! How do you let the girls go? With my boys it was easy...(They keep coming back, by the way. I think I've become too good of a cook.) But it's going to tear me up when my daughter leaves the nest. I have been a stay at home dad for the last 7.5/8 years. So we've really gotten close. She was 3 when I got hurt, and started working from home. She didn't start kindergarten until she was almost 6 due to how her birthday fell. She is my hunting buddy, hell, she pointed out the first deer we ever saw on a hunt. She is my fishing buddy, we've spent hundreds of hours in the boat together, just waiting for the fish to bite, and they always bite her line more than they do mine. Now you know why I needed that hitch so bad. We haven't fished in months. It's almost time for the spring salmon run. Yummy! And the trout in the local lakes should start biting real soon too.

She loves my Jeep. She's always been my scouting buddy in my other 4x4s, but in this one she calls herself my 4x4 buddy! Which is why she has now become my mechanic buddy. Thanks to Ms. Liberty! Honestly I think the seat warmers are her favorite part! LOL :D

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
That's just awesome!

She is my one and only ... and continuously blows my mind. :D

We spent half of her childhood in the forest .. on the ride home one night when she was 6 or 7 she said from the back seat "Wouldn't it be cool if a deer crossed in front of us right now?".

As I began to explain why that might not be such a good thing ... and it still stuns me to this day ... a beautiful buck sprang from the bush and bound across the road looking straight at us.

He was just far enough ahead of me that I didn't have to react .. but close enough to see him perfectly.

I said "That's enough of that!" and we giggled in amazement for the rest of the trip. :D

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had one of those NDEs (near death experiences) ourselves, a few months back on our way to church Bible study. Again, it was raining, we were in town, but the road was dark, when all of a sudden, a deer just appeared in the middle of my lane. I had to react, slammed on the brakes and swerved to the right as it jumped to the left. I missed it by inches. I don't know how we missed hitting that deer. We gave God and Ms. Liberty the credit for saving us that night. Again it was just the two of us in the Jeep.

Last edited:

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine wasn't a deer but an easy chair.

We were driving back from Newport News after picking up my stepdaughter (she lived with her mom for a year and a half there). Driving on Rt 17, about halfway back to Rt 301, when I rounded a corner in the pitch black and a teal easy chair was in the middle of my lane about 30 feet from me. I was driving my old Chevy Lumina with the 3.1....floaty Chevy steering at 75 moh. I still don't know how I missed that thing.

A mile or two up the road we passed a Ford Ranger loaded with the sofa and loveseat that matched. No rope, no strap, no nothing. Right before the spot where the chair had landed was a cross road. At that point eastbound Rt 17 is quite a bit higher than westbound, so he drove down the little hill, bumped at the bottom as he turned and dumped off the chair.

We still talk about that night and it was 10 years ago.