Making Ms Liberty mine thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Making Ms Liberty mine

Seeing as though my other thread ended up all about the engine troubles and dealer stuff, and not so much about what I am or want to do on my Ms, as Profdlp suggested, I am starting this new thread as a journal of upgrades, repairs, and want list for future projects. I plan on owning Ms for a good long time, so hopefully there will be some good stuff for people who have similar interests as I do.

OK, Here goes:
Hitch
I need a hitch, and the recall ain't going to be any time soon, so I am going to have to buy my own. I have narrowed it down to 2 possibilities.

Curt CURT hitches at EcustomHitch
Hidden Hitch Hidden Hitch at Carparts

Which one is best?

Armor???
I have the front skid plate, would like to get the ****** plate and the gas tank plate. Not for rock climbing or anything extreme, just for the occasional oops, that was a little taller than I thought sort of thing. What is the most economical <<< (Great word for saying cheap, without sounding like your broke) way to get what I am looking for? Any suggestions on brands, and where to buy would be appreciated. I've never shopped this type of stuff, so I am not sure what to look for, so looking for good advice.

Floor mats:
I bought some universal carpeted mats, but they do not fit right and are constantly rolling up under the gas pedal and moving around. Are there some good aftermarket mats that you have used and had good success with?

Last edited:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
The (my) Curt is more "hidden" that the hidden hitch ... go figure.

Most economical are the OEM skids... least protection as well though.

For my money Husky Liners rule. :waytogo:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
^^^^ What he said
If you were closer I have a hitch sitting beside the shop that could be had pretty cheap . But either hitch mentioned will work good
Check the forums for used skids or the auto wrecking yards also
If you have the engine you'll need the transmission, transfer case and gas tank ones
Never had those fancy floor mats but folks say the Husky liners etc are the best thing since sliced bread

Was reading this and got to thinking, in 9.5 years of owning mine I've never done a build thread on it.......oh well too late now :burnout::burnout:

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Luke and Tom,

9.5 years huh? Wow, I've been driving for 30 years and never had a vehicle that long. When I was running my field service tech company I had a new Ford truck every year, and every year when I turned it in, it would have over 100,000 miles on it. Then they just give me a new one and the payment stayed the same or was a little lower. But I got in good with the local fleet dealer, so he cut me some pretty sweet deals. That's why I stuck with the Fords. I have said it before, but I really would like to be able to say, this is the last vehicle I will ever own. It will be something passed down, like my dads 76 Ford was given to me when he died in 83. The year I got my license.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes this is the longest I have ever owned one. I used to drive 98 miles one way to work so didn't take long to add up. This one though had it made since I had a state car for 9 years plus worked out of my home!
License in 1983 , youngster aren't ya !! LOL

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Liners are the way to go. I have some grey weather tech rubber maps I'll sell cheap .

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I've heard that WeatherTech mats are good, too, but Luke's word carries a lot of sway with me. :)

EDIT: Just saw Ohio-white-kj had posted. I think you'd like either.

...9.5 years of owning mine I've never done a build thread on it...

Just as well. With all the stuff you've added/removed it would look like this:

:happy175:

You must be registered for see images attach

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^ What he said
If you were closer I have a hitch sitting beside the shop that could be had pretty cheap . But either hitch mentioned will work good
Check the forums for used skids or the auto wrecking yards also
If you have the engine you'll need the transmission, transfer case and gas tank ones
Never had those fancy floor mats but folks say the Husky liners etc are the best thing since sliced bread

Was reading this and got to thinking, in 9.5 years of owning mine I've never done a build thread on it.......oh well too late now :burnout::burnout:

Ahh hmmmm...... What about this one? LOST JEEPS &bull; Login

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I should add .. I've never used the Weather Techs. :shrug:

and that my opinion of the Husky's is based on fit, function and material... all top notch.

Note: Husky makes a few different kinds of mats.. it's the liners I'm referring to.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

and that my opinion of the Husky's is based on fit, function and material... all top notch.

Note: Husky makes a few different kinds of mats.. it's the liners I'm referring to.

Those look SWEET! how much do those cost though?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...my opinion of the Husky's is based on fit, function and material...all top notch...

That's what drew me to the WeatherTechs. Supposedly they were laser-measured. To tell you the truth, pictures I've seen look just like your Huskys. I think the Huskys are less expensive to boot.

(HaHa - get it - you put your boot on the mat!) :D

:sorry:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Have had Husky Liners in my KJ for a few years now,wouldn't even consider any others.Even got them for the Town Car.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have them in the front and cargo area of my Liberty. Absolutely love them. The fit is perfect.

I got mine on eBay, searching around for the best price incl. shipping. And using eBay bucks, too.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
I used to drive 98 miles one way to work so didn't take long to add up.

Been there myself. 7 1/2 years of just over 1000 miles a week of non-reimbursed travel. Don't think I could do it now although currently it can take me way longer for my 40 mile commute.

I'm really diggin' the Husky liners! They get my vote.

72specialized

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have the weathertech liners. They look the same but the drivers one has a hole in it to hook on that floor hook to hold the mat tightly in place. The problem is the lip around the hole isn't very high and the water from the melted snow sloshes right over the lip and onto your carpet. Huskies next time!

Alan

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
For you Husky floor liner folks:

What color is your Jeep carpeting and is black a better match for Khaki than grey? Also: Did you feel you needed the back seat floor liner? I rarely have anyone back there.

Not trying to hijack your thread, 02redKJ. I thought maybe you'd want to know too.