Looking into a jeep liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well here's how it all started; about a year and ahalf ago, my moms intrepid R/T was hit by some idiot speeding through the parking lot at a mall. While her car was getting repaired at the shop, we got a jeep liberty for awhile and i instantly fell in love with it, loved the ride height, the comfort, everything about it. I currently own a 1993 chevrolet beretta, its my first car but lately its been giving me a ton of problems so in the next few months its going up for sale. I was looking into a mustang just because it was one of my dream cars, but insurance prices took that dream away. Yesterday while searching through car ads, i came across a 2002 jeep liberty limited 4x4 with 66,000 kms on it (im canadian). They wanted 15 grand for it. Didnt seem like a bad price, so i have started researching into this vehicle, and then came across this forum! I was wonderig what you guys thought about a jeep liberty for an everyday driver. In B.C Canada we do have a ton of trails here and the liberty will see many of them if i get one. The 2002 models seem to be the cheapest and since im 18, i cant afford much more then $12-15 grand. Is there anything wrong with the 2002 models? will i be happy with this for an everyday car? Let me know your opinions please.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the 2002 models. As a matter of fact, many prefer the '02s over anything later because they started decontenting them after that MY.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, other than the rear drum brakes that were later switched to disks, the 02's are the best year they ever made.

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i posted what people thought about it in the beretta forum because they know all the probs i am having with my current car and they said the liberties are gutless cars 8-[

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
desertkj said:
IMO, other than the rear drum brakes that were later switched to disks, the 02's are the best year they ever made.

Do they make a disc conversion kit for them?

Gringo Loco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
_UnLiMiTeD_ said:
i posted what people thought about it in the beretta forum because they know all the probs i am having with my current car and they said the liberties are gutless cars 8-[

Wow those guys have no idea of what they are talking about. Just look around here and on lostkjs.com and you will see all kinds of KJs from stock to SFA converted that are in no way gutless. Just get theKJ, you will be happy you did. Broke but happy O:) .

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
last question. For the 2002, is there a lot of little problems seeing as its the first year for them that i should be worried about?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
_UnLiMiTeD_ said:
last question. For the 2002, is there a lot of little problems seeing as its the first year for them that i should be worried about?
Well there were a few electrical issues that probably were solved under warranty by now. Bad BodyControlModules and such. Otherwise, the Liberty is an extremely reliable vehicles, one of the most reliable vehicles on the road today.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget the '02's get the 45RFE ******,it's more HD than the 42RLE in the '03 and newer KJ's.Plus if it was make before april of '02 then it's a prelowered KJ(it's 3/4" higher than everyone else's).As for problems,those darn balljoints but the dealer should have them fixed before selling.I have a '02 and besides the LBJ's and the serp belt tensioner it's been free of problems(except the one I do to it by 4-wheeling it hard).

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well after watching some vids of these, im deff going to get one, B.C Canada has many places to go off roading, and i love the looks of the jeep liberty. And with 61,000km on the one im looking at, im sure all the little quirks it had were replaced by now

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
meh, im sure theres a disc conversion out. Besides, the car i got now has drums, whats so bad about drums brakes?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Gringo Loco said:
Marlon from the pics you have posted I would never say your liberty is "gutless".
Well, no... it isn't.

lol3.gif

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UJqlJX83xcs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UJqlJX83xcs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

The only real reason why I can't stand drum brakes... is because I don't know how to change them.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
_UnLiMiTeD_ said:
meh, im sure theres a disc conversion out. Besides, the car i got now has drums, whats so bad about drums brakes?
Nothing wrong with drum brakes,just disc's are better,as of now there is no disc brake conversion kits for the KJ(chrysler 8.25 rear end) but you can get the rear disc setup for '03's or newer and put on.

2003KJ

Reaction score
tjkj2002 said:
_UnLiMiTeD_ said:
Nothing wrong with drum brakes,just disc's are better,as of now there is no disc brake conversion kits for the KJ(chrysler 8.25 rear end) but you can get the rear disc setup for '03's or newer and put on.

Or, if one were to happen to stumble upon a KJ in a junkyard with rear discs, I would imagine that you could just swap that rear axle into an 02 model. Everything should just about bolt up....

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
The only real reason why I can't stand drum brakes... is because I don't know how to change them.

Haha, thats the same exact reason I dont like them! O:)

Is the vid of your Diesel? Sounds good. \:D/

2003KJ

Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Marlon_JBT said:

Haha, thats the same exact reason I dont like them! O:)

Is the vid of your Diesel? Sounds good. \:D/

Drums brakes are border line deadly. The hardest part is getting those damn springs back on with out decapitating yourself.....ask me how I know...lol

The act of actually removing the pads and putting the new ones on, as well as getting the hub off is extremely easy.....its just those stupid springs!