Recommendation for roof mounted lights for a Jeep Liberty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

isesseg

Reaction score
Hi all. Wife owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. She wants roof-mounted lights installed. She likes the old style round lights and is not a fan of LEDs. She keeps finding these old bars with 4 round lights mounted to plastic bar on ebay etc. Apart from being old, it seems they are for Jeep Renegade and I'm not sure they would even fit the Liberty. Plus I read somewhere they aren't "plug and play". Can someone please suggest some roof mounted offroad lights / fog lights that would fit the bill and wouldn't be a nightmare to install? Also, are they legal for use on the road in any case? Wife thinks because they are "fog lights" they are ok to use on the road, I'm not so sure. TIA

isesseg

Reaction score
Hi all. Wife owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. She wants roof-mounted lights installed. She likes the old style round lights and is not a fan of LEDs. She keeps finding these old bars with 4 round lights mounted to plastic bar on ebay etc. Apart from being old, it seems they are for Jeep Renegade and I'm not sure they would even fit the Liberty. Plus I read somewhere they aren't "plug and play". Can someone please suggest some roof mounted offroad lights / fog lights that would fit the bill and wouldn't be a nightmare to install? Also, are they legal for use on the road in any case? Wife thinks because they are "fog lights" they are ok to use on the road, I'm not so sure. TIA sorry for the double post.

Attachments

• lightbar.jpg
    lightbar.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 9

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
That particular Renegade* is, at best a sub-model, hood & grille aside, really a trim package.

I thought those roof lights were hard to find, as there weren't that many pre-facelift Renegades & so many people wanted them for their Libbies.

Not plug & play - 'cos there's nothing to plug them into - although wiring them up is hardly a big deal: a few feet of wire, switch (original Renegade one'd be nice touch), fuse, relay & the jobs done.

Not foglights either, as the whole idea of them is to mount them as low as possible. Regulations as to use vary from place to place but I doubt that roof mounted lights are legal in many places.

*as oppose to the earlier CJ - & later Fiat 500!

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Wife owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. She wants roof-mounted lights installed. She likes the old style round lights and is not a fan of LEDs. She keeps finding these old bars with 4 round lights mounted to plastic bar on ebay etc. Apart from being old, it seems they are for Jeep Renegade and I'm not sure they would even fit the Liberty. Plus I read somewhere they aren't "plug and play". Can someone please suggest some roof mounted offroad lights / fog lights that would fit the bill and wouldn't be a nightmare to install? Also, are they legal for use on the road in any case? Wife thinks because they are "fog lights" they are ok to use on the road, I'm not so sure. TIA
The installation procedure is in the service manual. It involves putting some holes in the roof. They wouldn’t be much use in fog, and have you ever seen someone driving around town with their roof lights on? I wouldn’t like to be the driver coming the other way.

isesseg

Reaction score
The installation procedure is in the service manual. It involves putting some holes in the roof. They wouldn’t be much use in fog, and have you ever seen someone driving around town with their roof lights on? I wouldn’t like to be the driver coming the other way.
Thanks. I assumed they were not fog lights and not road legal. Although my wyfe drives mostly on backcountry roads and would occasionally use them when nobody else is around, I understand these are offroad lights. However, apart from being old and not so cool, drilling holes in the car roof seems terrible. Is there a way to install other lights where we could route the wiring under the rubber along the door frame?

isesseg

Reaction score
Are there some nice round offroad lights that we could just mount to the roof rack, that anyone can recommend that are neither Chinese junk nor $2,000 lights?

spikelinux

Reaction score
Good morning, could you send me a message and I'll tell you how I installed the original Mopar light bar and integrated it into the BCM and even managed to turn on the dashboard light.:

You must be registered for see images attach

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Oz. Oz lighting is absolutely magnificent. Very affordable and durable.
Light bars, pods, and such are off road use only. Using them street driving blinds other drivers and will get you fined by the police.

See my KJ build thread. many posts on adding lights and wiring them up pproperly.

Btownpreacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to admit that I have fallen prey to the "cheap chinese lights".
Nilight three-row led light bars on amazon are UNBELIEVEABLY bright. Less than a hundred bucks and I can turn the road into daylight any weather and anytime. I have the 37" bar on my roof rack and the 20" bar on my bull bar. Simply unbeatable

Attachments

• IMG_3004.jpg
    IMG_3004.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2999.jpg
    IMG_2999.jpg
    628.5 KB · Views: 5

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Nilight products might be inexpensive but they're not "cheap chinese lights" in the way that's generally used/understood
Agreed. Had fair luck with their pods as work lights. However three out of eight had bad seals and ended up full of condensation. They still worked though. Should note their yellow fogs are too bright (and the wrong yellow wavelength) to be useful as actual fog/ whiteout lights. This is true of every single aftermarket LED fog I have tried out over the last few months. All the manufacturers need to learn that moar power! is not good for actual fog lights.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
That's why very few foglights are more than cosmetic. Hella's a notable exception, although if you want yellow, Cibie probably lead the field (with 100 years experience of that niche market, they ought to) although have reservations about the Valeo "let's beat the replica makers at their own game" versions.
Blinglights sound quite promising - but the name's so off-putting.

" . . . every single aftermarket LED fog I have tried out over the last few months. . . " You must have quite a collection! Don't tell me, all in the name of - research.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I’ve been through this as well… in the end as with many things, you get what you pay for. After finally splurging on the Diode Dynamics line … I would never go back. Crisp cutoff and excellent output. That said they are wired up with a Nilight harness. :)

Last edited:

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
That's why very few foglights are more than cosmetic. Hella's a notable exception, although if you want yellow, Cibie probably lead the field (with 100 years experience of that niche market, they ought to) although have reservations about the Valeo "let's beat the replica makers at their own game" versions.
Blinglights sound quite promising - but the name's so off-putting.

" . . . every single aftermarket LED fog I have tried out over the last few months. . . " You must have quite a collection! Don't tell me, all in the name of - research.
Aye, research! I spend enough time at higher altitudes that those nasty little rolling fog banks and low clouds are a real issue, and yellow fogs are handy in dust storms too, something I seem to deal with frequently. Around home, we get whiteout conditions with just a few centimeters of snow.

Outfitting Khan has been difficult due to the obscene volume of just plain wrong information about JL stuff.

I have zero qualms about returning/exchanging/raising holy hell where my money is involved. Outfitting Bert was cheap and easy as everyone here did all the hard work for me ahead of time. Khan, not so much due to what I have been referring to as JLulls*t

I tried a few cheap mods and sources, all proved to be worthless.

Kapton tape comes in the right color but lacks the durability and doesn’t handle curved factory LED fogs well at all.
I ended up ordering true amber 8mm lexan from an industrial supply house which I’ll thermoform at the maker space on campus. My twidget counterpart there is helping me to 3D print clips and a retaining ring for the Bondi bumper fog holes.

AWolfCalledWander

Reaction score
Good morning, could you send me a message and I'll tell you how I installed the original Mopar light bar and integrated it into the BCM and even managed to turn on the dashboard light.: