Looking into a jeep liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is a special tool you use to get the springs off so your hands arent even near them. I do auto class in school, we have to do it all the time lol

2003KJ

Reaction score
_UnLiMiTeD_ said:
there is a special tool you use to get the springs off so your hands arent even near them. I do auto class in school, we have to do it all the time lol

Yeah I know....just haven't got around to getting one of those tools yet....as the majority of brake work I do is on discs...

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
_UnLiMiTeD_ said:

Yeah I know....just haven't got around to getting one of those tools yet....as the majority of brake work I do is on discs...

borrow one from autozone etc. They should have em. I'm just gonna suck it up and buy a decent spring plier set, because i'm a tool-a-holic. :-$

I've got 71000mi on my 02 ltd, and i love it. Only thing i've had to do was change a transfer case output seal and normal fluids/filters.

Oh yeah, those pesky LBJ's. Twice. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drum brakes are easy - you just need the right tools. I've done many. When you do it, only do one side at a time and that way you have the other side for reference so you don't reverse the primary and secondary shoe.

Look around at a few different Liberties and you might do better on the price.

Oh, and a KJ is not a car, like those guys told you, it's a Jeep. They don't understand.

Good luck.

Dave

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2002 liberty fully loaded, dealership asking price is 14.9, im sure i can get them down to 11grand or so. Remember, Canadian prices are higher.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
_UnLiMiTeD_ said:
2002 liberty fully loaded, dealership asking price is 14.9, im sure i can get them down to 11grand or so. Remember, Canadian prices are higher.

Yea, I was thinking American, so it seemed high.....sorry LOL

Dave

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im a little scared to by a limited right now. I have been readin sites that allowed people to post a review on their vehicle and about 80% of the negative feed back ratings were for the limited model. Is there some huge flaw on that model that i dont know about. Im selling my current car because of reliability issues and i really cannot afford to buy another car that breaks constantly.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
My opinion: Those "reviews" are nowhere in depth enough to judge a vehicle. There's no real difference between the Limited and Sport other than a few appearance and luxury options. If you want a Limited, go for it. Mechanically... they're the same.

2003KJ

Reaction score
carsurvey.org is a great website to get reviews on cars. I used to keep in touch with the person in charge of it (which is how the link to LOST got posted under "external liberty links"....been meaning to get in touch with him about getting a link set up to here).

Anyways, there are no particular flaws in the limited vs. other models. on sites like that, it just depends on who writes the reviews. It just so happens that there are more reviews on Limited's than there are Sport's or Renegade's. And from the reviews i've seen there over time, it's all small issues that can affect any KJ. Plus, you also have to look at it this way.....some people take a small problem and blow it WAY out of proportion. For example: "My radio quit working....this damn Jeep is a lemon!" Sorry, but just because the radio quit, lemon it is NOT.

Those "electrical issues" are because of the BCM. Some of the 02's have a bad batch of them in there. I believe it's a pretty easy (compared to other components) thing to replace....but i've never had to put a new one in before so I don't know for sure. But all those electrical issues (speedo, horn, wipers etc etc) not working is because of a bad BCM (Body Control Module)

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm, well i have to make sure i give it good test drive and a good mechanical inspection before buying.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Just out of sheer curiosity, how much is your car insurance payment? I've always been curious of insurance payments on the other side of the border....

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
_UnLiMiTeD_ said:
hmm, well i have to make sure i give it good test drive and a good mechanical inspection before buying.

A really good test drive, including a dirt road where you can get it in 4hi & 4low and when you take it to a mechanic get it on a lift and check it over good. There was a lower ball joint recall so make sure they were replaced.
Any jeep dealer will do it free if it wasn't done.

Make sure you get the owners manual and it will be in a seperate compartment above the glovebox where you'll never see it if you wern't looking and the jack is under the passenger side rear seat. On an 02 it should be a bottle jack in a case I think. And get 2 keys and see they both work the security system. Keys at the dealer are expensive. Don't laugh. A friend of mine once got a used car and got a flat and went to get the spare and no spare or jack. You gotta check everything. If it has wheel locks, make sure you get the key. Take the cover off the spare and check it. Same size as the other tires? Got a lock on it? get the key.

Sorry for the long post.

Dave

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
Just out of sheer curiosity, how much is your car insurance payment? I've always been curious of insurance payments on the other side of the border....

My car payment on my beretta is $2100 a year, being a new driver and all. And Dave, thank you for all the tips, trust me, the more i know the better it is for me. One last thing, i have been hearing from many people that the interior in the liberties falls apart after a short while. Has any of you guys experienced this? I'm really being careful because my mom is so sure that all cars have problems and theres a chance i will get another lemon car so im trying to be as careful as i can that i dont get another one or i have her in my face saying "ha i told you so" lol

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Falls apart?

HA.

This ain't a Kia.

$2100 isn't bad, especially in Canadian dollars!!! That sounds cheaper than mine... in American cash. For some reason, I kept hearing numbers upwards of $5000+... and no tickets. It will probably go up... or maybe down... Jeeps are and always have been cheap to insure just because of the brand name.

_UnLiMiTeD_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont know, i read it in a few customer reviews and a guy i know whos cousin has a liberty and the interiod pieces are coming off after 3 years. Just trying to get all the facts right; i apologize for all the questions.