2002 jeep liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rayrod

Reaction score
Question I have 2 2002 jeep liberty 3.7 one is wrecked and the other has a check engine light I was told it maybe the pcm can I take the computer out of the wrecked one and put it into the other plug & play or will I have to get it programmed

1ino

Reaction score
should work, doesn't hurt to try, if i was in your situation i would, it will either work or it will not, shouldn't damage anything

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Probably best to scan for OBD stored codes. Do you have a code reader?
You can also try the key trick...
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

24turbo

Reaction score
If both vehicles are similarly equipped engine/trans you should be okay to swap them.

BUT.....

I had to swap ECMs 4 years ago on my current Jeep (2003) and based on what info I could find online (for what its worth) indicated that you would need to change the VIN that is programmed in the ECM for it to work as the other modules in the vehicle wont communicate properly with it. Whether that meant it would still run and have a check engine light or not run at all I'm not sure.

The somewhat good news about this is the VIN can be changed with a code scanner with advanced functions and should easily be done by any shop or dealer with a competent tech.

The one problem with above is supposedly if you plug in the ECM with the wrong VIN, the SKIM (immobilizer) module locks up and wont let you start the vehicle, and the only cure is a trip to the dealer. You know the vehicle has a SKIM if you ignition key is grey.

If you are not able to get the VIN changed before installing it there is a work around to avoid the whole SKIM issue by disconnecting the SKIM module until you can get the VIN changed (there is a youtube video showing the procedure)

As for me, I fortunately have a code scanner that will change VINs and did the work around just in case, to avoid any problems I couldn't deal with myself. Whether I needed to or not...who knows, but I got the swap done with no problems.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Rayrod

Reaction score
Probably best to scan for OBD stored codes. Do you have a code reader?
You can also try the key trick...
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
It’s giving me the
Injector 3 control circuit code
And code 51 right front sensor internal diagnostic code

Rayrod

Reaction score
If both vehicles are similarly equipped engine/trans you should be okay to swap them.

BUT.....

I had to swap ECMs 4 years ago on my current Jeep (2003) and based on what info I could find online (for what its worth) indicated that you would need to change the VIN that is programmed in the ECM for it to work as the other modules in the vehicle wont communicate properly with it. Whether that meant it would still run and have a check engine light or not run at all I'm not sure.

The somewhat good news about this is the VIN can be changed with a code scanner with advanced functions and should easily be done by any shop or dealer with a competent tech.

The one problem with above is supposedly if you plug in the ECM with the wrong VIN, the SKIM (immobilizer) module locks up and wont let you start the vehicle, and the only cure is a trip to the dealer. You know the vehicle has a SKIM if you ignition key is grey.

If you are not able to get the VIN changed before installing it there is a work around to avoid the whole SKIM issue by disconnecting the SKIM module until you can get the VIN changed (there is a youtube video showing the procedure)

As for me I fortunately have a code scanner that will change VINs and did the work around just in case, to avoid any problems I couldn't deal with myself. Whether I needed to or not...who knows, but I got the swap done with no problems.

Good luck.
It’s giving me the

Rayrod

Reaction score

BUT.....

As for me I fortunately have a code scanner that will change VINs and did the work around just in case, to avoid any problems I couldn't deal with myself. Whether I needed to or not...who knows, but I got the swap done with no problems.

Good luck.
It’s giving me the

Rayrod

Reaction score
should work, doesn't hurt to try, if i was in your situation i would, it will either work or it will not, shouldn't damage anything
It’s giving me the

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score

24turbo

Reaction score
You can test the #3 injector wiring with a noid light. Hopefully you can rent one from Autozone or similar. If not they are cheap to buy but I'm sure you dont want to purchase tools you may never use again. The light will show if the injector is getting a signal to fire (while cranking the engine). If not you have a ECM or wiring issue. If its getting a signal you probably have a bad injector.

Code 51-you will need to double check. I dont think there is a code 51 in OBD2

Rayrod

Reaction score
You can test the #3 injector wiring with a noid light. Hopefully you can rent one from Autozone or similar. If not they are cheap to buy but I'm sure you dont want to purchase tools you may never use again. The light will show if the injector is getting a signal to fire (while cranking the engine). If not you have a ECM or wiring issue. If its getting a signal you probably have a bad injector.

Code 51-you will need to double check. I dont think there is a code 51 in OBD2
All right, thank you so much for the info

Rayrod

Reaction score

Rayrod

Reaction score
IDK if this helps. I'm not the best at trouble shooting electrical.
Here is the Chrysler diagnostic trouble codes complete listings we have, that may be outdated:
https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/generic-chrysler-diagnostic-trouble-code-list.39860/
IDK if this helps. I'm not the best at trouble shooting electrical.
Here is the Chrysler diagnostic trouble codes complete listings we have, that may be outdated:
https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/generic-chrysler-diagnostic-trouble-code-list.39860/
Based upon your information: possible issue #3 cyl faulty injector, pulse or wiring etc.
code 051 right front sensor, not sure on
Based upon your information: possible issue #3 cyl faulty injector, pulse or w
code 051 right front sensor, not sure on that one.

Members online

No members online now.