Lightbar & headlights question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glen_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since my (wifes) Liberty came sans owners manual, I was wondering:

How does one aim the lights? Are they adjustable?

Is there aftermarket (brighter) replacements? I finally got a chance to use them on an overcast night on the weekend and I expected a lot more night vision than they delivered. In fact they are only slightly better than our old Land Rover Discovery's regular high beams (which were exceptionally good for factory stock lights)

I remember years ago with the old round 4 headlamp systems we'd replace the high beams with sealed beam "aircraft landing lights", which had a LONG reaching very narrow beam, I was thinking these would do nicely in the light bar (if they fit)

As for the headlights, can the wiring take a brighter bulb ok? In their stock condition I find them barely adequate, but I know with my Ford truck (which has the most useless factory lights I have ever seen) the wiring won't take anything other than the stock 50 watt bulbs.

thanks

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
I used the Silverstar's in my headlights and the high beam bulbs from an F150 (2004) for my fogs, and do the fogs make a difference. You need to trim the F150 bulb plastic just a bit to make them fit right, but man the light is way better out of the fog lights now.

Bikeflyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used silverstar bulbs with great results in my Sunfire. The original bulbs were like marker bulb headlights on a lawn tractor. They are fairly simple to mount and put out a much whiter light. Not terribly expensive either.

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe they fixed them on the '05-'06, but the stock headlights on my '06 are some of the best I've had on any vehicle. Add to that the factory driving lights (the small ones in the grill) and I couldn't ask for more (without geting pulled over).

There are several options for replacement headlights. I personally run the Sylvaina Silver Star Ultra in my Dodge truck and they are way better than the plain halogens. (talk about poor headlights... the Dodge's curved lens shape does nothing for focusing the beams.). Personally, I don't like "Cool Blue" lights. I've never owned them, but find them annoying in cars that are coming toward me.

The best combination I have used that works well in rain / fog are the factory style white headlight with a pair of good Halogen Amber fog lights mounted 6"-12" below the headlights. Even just 4-wheeling in the dark, the combination of the two colors shinig from two different angles tend to give an almost 3-D effect to the terrain. The amber lights also seem to catch the lines on the highway better too - even in the rain.

The first key to good lighting is checking to see you are getting a full 12V at the bulb. With all the different connectors, switches, wiring harnesses, firewall connector, etc... you can sometime see a 2 Volt drop by the time it gets to the headlight bulb - esspecially in an older vehilcle with more than a few miles on it. There are relay kits designed for the older vehicles specifically to shorten up the distance from the battery/alternator and provide more power to the bulb. Remember, the best bulb in the world is only as good as the power you can get to it.

Regards,
UK