New headlights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rang_ranger

Reaction score
Hello!
I’m trying to surprise my 2008 Jeep Liberty owning husband with a pair of new headlights. He has been wanting to upgrade to street legal LED lights for more light output. He is bummed he can’t just put in the bulbs and call it good, so I’m trying to educate myself to be able to surprise him with complete headlights. I have found several websites that look to sell LED headlights (and others called HID?), but I’m wary they won’t function properly. Do these exist for this year and model? If so, please direct me <3 Or am I SOL? Should I just focus my search on a light bar for him instead? (Any recommendations on where to buy a good light bar? :D )

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately there’s nothing out there that drops right in.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Liberty has bigger headlights than any other Jeep unfortunately so nobody makes anything that fits.

Don't be tempted to fit LED replacement bulbs, they are terrible, the Jeeps headlights are not designed to pattern the light from them. Can't commit on HID, they are illegal here unless OEM fitted.

I'm sure someone on here will recommend a light bar, I'm in England so not a lot of point in me recommending anything from here!

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't be tempted to fit LED replacement bulbs, they are terrible, the Jeeps headlights are not designed to pattern the light from them. Can't commit on HID, they are illegal here unless OEM fitted.
This is no longer true. There are very good LED bulbs on the market but they are expensive. I have installed the Morimoto 2Stroke 3.0 LED bulbs which are excellent. The beam pattern is exactly the same as with the halogen bulbs, only they have much more light and daylight color temp instead of the yellowish light of the halogens. Oscram has already created LED bulbs which are street legal (they have less light power than non legal LED bulbs) in Germany and other European countries. I do not know if there are street legal LED bulbs in US though...

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
As it's a 2008 it already has the better headlights but, presumably, the same pathetic wiring. I would go the "old skule" route: a decent harness upgrade, with relays, & +200% bulbs. In fact it's something I was meaning to do quite early on, but more important repairs got in the way.

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is wrong with the wiring? The standard bulbs in the US are 55/65 watt bulbs, 14 guage wires can handle that

Rang_ranger

Reaction score
As it's a 2008 it already has the better headlights but, presumably, the same pathetic wiring. I would go the "old skule" route: a decent harness upgrade, with relays, & +200% bulbs. In fact it's something I was meaning to do quite early on, but more important repairs got in the way.
If you have time, would you be able to explain what things I would need to get for him? I know how to change my oil, but that’s about it :p Where would I find a harness upgrade and how do I make sure it’s the correct fit? I appreciate any helpful tips, thank you :)

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this the sort of thing you want?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

budget76

Reaction score
OLD wires reduce voltage to the bulbs. Instead of 13.5-14.3 volts, if you measure bulb under load, you may get 11.x volts. This cuts output by 50%. Rewire the headlights to fuse, relay to battery directly. Cheap and easy for a fuse holder and really are < $10 and headlights are bright. You can buy a kit for $30 but why?

Dirtyrat

Reaction score
Hello!
I’m trying to surprise my 2008 Jeep Liberty owning husband with a pair of new headlights. He has been wanting to upgrade to street legal LED lights for more light output. He is bummed he can’t just put in the bulbs and call it good, so I’m trying to educate myself to be able to surprise him with complete headlights. I have found several websites that look to sell LED headlights (and others called HID?), but I’m wary they won’t function properly. Do these exist for this year and model? If so, please direct me <3 Or am I SOL? Should I just focus my search on a light bar for him instead? (Any recommendations on where to buy a good light bar? :D )
I put led bulbs in mine. Work just fine. Not a big difference between low and high beam though. HID lights should come with all necessary equipment to retrofit.

espania1958

Reaction score
I am sure I am in the minority here, but there is way to much emphasis on these LED, HID & Off Road Only lights. I am blinded constantly by vehicles using these types of lights, OEM included.
I have survived many years on and off road without having to use these blinding lights. I find many inexperienced Jeep drivers now adding what are truly off-road light bars and using them on the road and giving a bad name to all Jeep and other off road enthusiasts. Aftermarket manufacturers are promoting this fad for the money and know it is an easy upgrade for novices, who it seems, get a sense of power by blinding other drivers.

Spend the money on serious upgrades that improve off road capability, not high school, I'm a tough guy, piss every one off, cheap add ons.