Lift kit options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jnors06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I know i could have probaly found this info by digging through the archives but i would like to start my own discussion about lifting my jeep.

I have a 2006 renegade 4x4 and would like to put 31x10.5 tires on it. I would prefer it not to rub under normal conditions. This is not my first 4x4 but i have always had straight axel toys.

The questions i have are:
What is the best route to get there?
can i use my stock rims?
Is piecing it together cheaper than buying a complete lift?

Things to keep in mind:
I am budget minded.
And i do not mind piecing it together to save money.
All work will be done by myself.

I have seen on here where someone listed all the individual parts to piece the lift together so if anyone has that or knows what i need please post it up here.

Thanks ahead of time for all of you input and expertise.

-Jacob

Armysniper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeeping by Al and Al j Frankenlift check does out. And the guys here have a lot of knowledge. I will listen to them, I did and happy with the results. I just started too and they guide me the right way. Good luck.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome Jacob
First read read read and then check out LOSTJEEPs and read some more
All the answers to every question you will ever have are on these two forums
But in the end do it right the first time
no spacer lifts, No Rustys/Skyjacker/ Rocky Road etc
stay at 2.5 inches and you'll get along for a while with stock arms, higher you'll need jeepinbyals upper control arms
but come back after your eyes glaze over and you haven't slept for a week and we'll walk you through the valley of lift kits and up onto the mountain of lifted bliss

Rev. Mudd
waiting on the side

Jnors06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i did some reading and here is what i am thinking...
OME full kit.
Front clevis spacers
Rear iso's

Question i have on the rear iso's is do i need upper or lower?

How much lift will this give me?

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Upper ... each iso is 1/2" ... but I bet you were asking how much total lift :D

You'll be around 2.5" ... but Tom might be able to give you a better estimate.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
ok i did some reading and here is what i am thinking...
OME full kit.
Front clevis spacers
Rear iso's

Question i have on the rear iso's is do i need upper or lower?

How much lift will this give me?

With OME 927 front and 3/8 inch clevis will put you at about 22 inches when settled in ( middle of wheel to bottom of flare) ( 3 inches of lift)
at that height if you want factory rack then install one extra upper iso

Jnors06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response guys. I just measured and I am at 18.5, do y'all think factory wheels will cause a problem? I don't mind running spacers of I need to.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
31-10.50s are going to rub and also will not fit on stock 16 inch wheels
those would be a 15 inch size
245-75-16 is a good size with the lift and what most do
You're sitting between 1/2 to 3/4 inches below new stock height currently

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My combo has slight rubbing at full lock when backing up (pinchweld mod done too).

You can run 15" wheels if they are steel (in most cases). I have a set of old Dodge ramcharger wheels that fit. Their offset is more neutral and will negate my need for wheel spacers. I mounted up some winter tires in 235/75R15 that will be going on the KJ at the end of the month.

Jnors06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Resurrecting an old thread, I just ordered a full ironman kit, rear upper iso's, and 3/8" clevis. I came across a deal I couldn't pass up on a set of 31-10.50x15 I couldn't pass up. Rims and tires for 350 90% tread. They fit and clear the brake calipers.

Question I have is do y'all think they will rub? I will be taking care of the pinch weld when I put the lift on?

How do you think my A arms will do with this set up?

And any tips on installing the lift would be appreciated, thank you guys.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
More than likely yes they will since you should have more lift, I would of also done a top plate in front as well for height
plus not knowing the backspacing on the wheels makes it harder to know for sure.
Many many writeups on lifting one on here and LOST
read them, don't over think it like some do and make it harder to do than needed
They may seem like a deal at 350 but with the power loss and mileage loss well............save up for 4.10s

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
31's are 30.5" tall on average. With a 3" lift, I put on 265/75R16's (31.7" tall) on the stock wheels using 1.5" adapter spacers (creating less wheel back space). Clearancing the pinch weld is a given, and my tires rub a little bit in the front when nearing full lock in a parking lot. On the street, no rubbing at all since the tires aren't turned as tightly.
And for comparison, both the 31's and my 265's have the same 10.5" section width. Will yours rub any? Let us know.
And, seeing how 4.10 gears are deemed almost a necessity with tall tires to prevent the engine from dogging, makes me even the more glad that I have a manual transmission and not an automatic.

KJScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
31's are 30.5" tall on average. With a 3" lift, I put on 265/75R16's (31.7" tall) on the stock wheels using 1.5" adapter spacers (creating less wheel back space). Clearancing the pinch weld is a given, and my tires rub a little bit in the front when nearing full lock in a parking lot. On the street, no rubbing at all since the tires aren't turned as tightly.
And for comparison, both the 31's and my 265's have the same 10.5" section width. Will yours rub any? Let us know.
And, seeing how 4.10 gears are deemed almost a necessity with tall tires to prevent the engine from dogging, makes me even the more glad that I have a manual transmission and not an automatic.
Cactus, do you still have the stock gears? I want to do 265s but even with my 5 speed and 245/75s, enigine still feels like a dog.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, stock gears. Mine is pretty peppy, and I can honestly say that I really didn't notice much of a difference at all in low end performance between the 265's and the old 235's. Stock tires (235/70R16) are 29", yours are 30.5" +/- depending on brand. I can't believe that alone would make yours act like a dog, it didn't mine with tires being a couple steps above yours.

KJScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had stock tires on mine for about 3 weeks when I bought it back in 2006, then grabbed used Moabs and MTRs on ebay. I mean... I guess its not too much of a dog, several years ago it ran side by side with a full size chevy 4wd off the line until mid 3rd gear lol.

Jnors06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will keep you guys posted, I hope to install the lift this weekend. Luckily I don't have to pay for the tires until I know if they will work or not.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, stock gears. Mine is pretty peppy, and I can honestly say that I really didn't notice much of a difference at all in low end performance between the 265's and the old 235's. Stock tires (235/70R16) are 29", yours are 30.5" +/- depending on brand. I can't believe that alone would make yours act like a dog, it didn't mine with tires being a couple steps above yours.

So funny, I'd like to have a dollar for every time someone said they didn't notice a difference since they had a manual . BUT then when some finally swapped out they couldn't beleive how much power they had and could actually use 5th or 6th depending once again on hills
Denial is a disease like any other :rotflmao:
Manual doesn't make any difference at all except you just can stay in a lower gear , the main power band of the engine is still the same

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I had stock tires on mine for about 3 weeks when I bought it back in 2006, then grabbed used Moabs and MTRs on ebay. I mean... I guess its not too much of a dog, several years ago it ran side by side with a full size chevy 4wd off the line until mid 3rd gear lol.
Regear and it still would, trust me
I'd give you or anyone a ride to show you how one runs with 265-75s and 4.10s . Many have been amazed when I take off from a stop sign smoking the tires , or little red light speed comparisons

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bring your KJ up to my elevation and you will feel the tire size change.

I ran 265/75R16's on 3.73's for a few months,thought it was okay and was at 200' elevation(Ft Lewis WA),re-geared to 4.10's and yeah it was worth the $$$$.Before the SFA swap when ever we went on a trail run my KJ and my buddies(USAFCOP) with smaller tires(245/75R16's) and 3.73's would dog on the passes when my would not with 265/75's with 4.10's.I would always get better mpg's though I was considerably heavier then his.Both of us have '02 KJ's with the 45RFE trans.