Lift Glass Compatibility

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirLinux

Reaction score
Hey group, first post.
Just bought an '02 Liberty for my daughter. Not quite a junker but good enough to tool back and forth to school. Runs ok but has a few issues. The one I'd like to resolve first is the inside latch on the back glass has detached from the glass. Maybe I could find some type of adhesive to attach rubber to glass but looking to just replace the entire back glass and was wondering if the years 02-07 are all compatible and if so, were the any improvements on the fastener on later years? If so, I'd just replace with a later year glass.

Thanks for any advice.

sdg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had once replaced my 07's with glass from a 02 donor. The latch is a different design between 02 and 07 (one part is removable on the 02 and a monolithic piece on the 07), but the glass and latch matched perfectly. There was some play involved with the hinges on the top - if possible, get the glass WITH the hinges from the donor detaching from the roof, as the weird screws which hold the hinges to the glass are very hard to unscrew and if you over tighten on mounting you will probably break the glass.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Windoweld so it's called its a black urethane adhesive that works well with glass, that what they use to hold Windows on your jeep anyway, however regarding what you said above, which latch is broken? The bottom one in the middle or one of the hinges at the top? If you have pictures that's help a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think he just means the hook on the glass has come unglued. Later models have a plastic piece on the outside of the glass, where the window latches. Not sure why... After it quits raining here, I'm going to try putting the rear glass from my 02' on onto 04". I'll let you know if if fits...

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that plastic piece is to supply a place for you to put your hand on when closing the glass....makes sure that you are pressing it in the correct place and stops fingerprints showing up on the glass....I wish I had that plastic bit to avoid getting paw prints on the glass!

But maybe that plastic bit hides some nuts....perhaps the newer models have the latch screwed onto the glass..hopefully someone can report back on that....I will have a look at the Parts Fiche to see if they show nuts and lockwashers!

Edit: Nope I cannot find this black plastic section or nuts etc. in the Parts Fiche.

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '03 didn't have the plastic pad on the outside when I bought it but I did add it on later. There weren't any screws holding the latch to the glass - must be held there with a very strong, long lasting adhesive.

Bob

SirLinux

Reaction score
Windoweld so it's called its a black urethane adhesive that works well with glass, that what they use to hold Windows on your jeep anyway, however regarding what you said above, which latch is broken? The bottom one in the middle or one of the hinges at the top? If you have pictures that's help a lot.

This is the part that is detached from the glass. If I could reattach that would be much less trouble that replacing the entire lift glass.

Thanks

Attachments

• JeepLatch.jpg
    JeepLatch.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 15

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Super easy to replace the whole glass, we swapped mine form the 04 to the 03 in just a few minutes ( both off and flipped them )

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
My '03 didn't have the plastic pad on the outside when I bought it but I did add it on later. There weren't any screws holding the latch to the glass - must be held there with a very strong, long lasting adhesive.

Bob

Back in 04 - 05 lots of folks bought the " hand pad" and installed on their 02 and 03s
One of the reasons I swapped mine off of the 04, plus wanted my decals :gr_grin:

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do you get that "hand pad"