Lift faq: Read before asking questions!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, what about the 'new' tommudd lift (with the Ironman shocks/struts) that is now listed on the JBA website...any additional tips or tricks for THAT one ?
Have you installed it for a customer yet ?

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So, what about the 'new' tommudd lift (with the Ironman shocks/struts) that is now listed on the JBA website...any additional tips or tricks for THAT one ?
Have you installed it for a customer yet ?

You are a year or so late, they are not "new" , been a lot of them sold for KJs and KKs both

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For some reason, that offering just started showing up alongside the 'tommmudd Econo OME lift " on the JBA website in my browser after the 1st of this year...hmmm...so the consensus is that the Ironman ride is equal to or better than OME ?

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
For some reason, that offering just started showing up alongside the 'tommmudd Econo OME lift " on the JBA website in my browser after the 1st of this year...hmmm...so the consensus is that the Ironman ride is equal to or better than OME ?

Its back and forth. I tested the first set of Ironman and thought it was a firmer feel than the 927s BUT I did have some extra additions that no one else has ran on that setup. But 501 who we installed that Ironman on next and had 927s on before liked the ride of the Ironman better. I think side beside and without telling someone it would be real close ( depending on shock selection)
He changed some things around on the JBA site recently so different things are showing up where they weren't before

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had OME and Ironman. They both ride about the same. I like the setup on my 06 with the ironman c springs and bilstein shocks. Rides great. My 02 has the coilovers and i love them.

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i went and measured my ride hight at the moment im 18 in the front and 19 in the rear... adding an ome lift will gimme 2.5 inches from stock? which would bring me to about 22? this suspension has to go thats forsure.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So i went and measured my ride hight at the moment im 18 in the front and 19 in the rear... adding an ome lift will gimme 2.5 inches from stock? which would bring me to about 22? this suspension has to go thats forsure.

Without anything else added you will be about 21.5, 19 stock then add 2.5 for the OME 927/948 combo

boboborino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine is on the way! (OME components) I can't wait, I hit a little crack in the road and it feels like I hit an 8" cinder block, especially when the kids are in the back.

Bert

featherlight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry if I missed this information somewhere earlier in this thread. I just got my KJ a little while ago and it just went over 100,000 miles. The stock shocks work "ok" :happy175:... but it's time to replace them with something better. I'm not planning on tackling Moab, but I do drive over a lot of levees, muddy roads, and dirt/gravel for work. I was looking at the Ironman kit from JBA, but I have a couple questions about the kit.
1) Does the Ironman kit require the JBA A-arms to do a proper alignment?
2) I don't have a CRD, winch, or ARB front bumper, but I've seen people recommend the HD springs anyway. Should I go for the HD or the normal duty springs? I'm still looking for a comfortable ride on the regular roads.
3) What else on the suspension should I be replacing at 100,000 miles? (My KJ didn't come with an owners manual, sorry if this seems like a stupid question)

Being a grad student paying my own way to a PhD :ROFLJest: means I'm on a budget, so I need to know what I'm getting into so I can do it right the first time.

Thanks for any advice and tips.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry if I missed this information somewhere earlier in this thread. I just got my KJ a little while ago and it just went over 100,000 miles. The stock shocks work "ok" :happy175:... but it's time to replace them with something better. I'm not planning on tackling Moab, but I do drive over a lot of levees, muddy roads, and dirt/gravel for work. I was looking at the Ironman kit from JBA, but I have a couple questions about the kit.
1) Does the Ironman kit require the JBA A-arms to do a proper alignment?
IRONMAN HDS GIVE YOU 2.25 INCHES OF LIFT SO NO YOU DO NOT 'need" THE JBA ARMS AT THAT HEIGHT , IF YOU ADD TOP PLATE OR CLEVIS THEN YES YOU MAY DEPENDING ON HOW HIGH YOU GO. GENERALLY ANYTHING OVER 3.25 OR SO I WOULD ADVISE YOU DO
2) I don't have a CRD, winch, or ARB front bumper, but I've seen people recommend the HD springs anyway. Should I go for the HD or the normal duty springs? I'm still looking for a comfortable ride on the regular roads.
THE HDS GIVE A GREAT RIDE ALL I INSTALL ARE THE HDS NO MATTER IF IRONMAN OR OME AND USING THEIR 927S.
3) What else on the suspension should I be replacing at 100,000 miles? (My KJ didn't come with an owners manual, sorry if this seems like a stupid question)
CHECK EVERYTHING, BALL JOINTS, TIE ROD ENDS, REAR UPPER AND LOWER CONTROL ARMS ETC . ALSO CHECK THE BOOT ON THE REAR PART OF THE FRONT DRIVESHAFT AND THE REAR U-JOINTS AS WELL
Being a grad student paying my own way to a PhD :ROFLJest: means I'm on a budget, so I need to know what I'm getting into so I can do it right the first time.

Thanks for any advice and tips.

The above will get you started .................I hope :icon_lol:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The KJ's owners manual doesn't like to come out and play. It hides in plain sight - many folks miss it.

Open your glovebox and check the little cubby/slot along the top. Betchya it's sitting right there :waytogo:

Bob

JoseyWales44

Reaction score
Lift is going through upper control arms!!

I have a 2" lift from OME and my upper control arms keep going out! I've looked at it and I immediately see why, the spindle isn't high enough where my upper control arm connects with the spindle and is causing the control arm to wear easily, is there any solution for this? Maybe a different spindle or different control arm?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 2" lift from OME and my upper control arms keep going out! I've looked at it and I immediately see why, the spindle isn't high enough where my upper control arm connects with the spindle and is causing the control arm to wear easily, is there any solution for this? Maybe a different spindle or different control arm?

If only 2 inches of lift should not be going out , BUT yes there is a solution
Just get the JeepinByAl upper control arms, made for lifted Kjs, have replaceable ball joints etc

You can see the UCAs in this photo , have installed a lot of them , have ran them my self for 1000s of miles along with many others on this and other KJ forums
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Icethegreat

Reaction score
If only 2 inches of lift should not be going out , BUT yes there is a solution
Just get the JeepinByAl upper control arms, made for lifted Kjs, have replaceable ball joints etc

You can see the UCAs in this photo , have installed a lot of them , have ran them my self for 1000s of miles along with many others on this and other KJ forums
You must be registered for see images attach

Would glady take that set right there off your hands to give it a happy home :winner_third_h4h:

Thanks for all the info you've laid out Tommund! I'm currently saving up for OME lift versus doing the rough country (thanks to all the information that i've been going through these past two weeks here...just bought my first jeep)

Anyone recommend any shops to get it installed in my area?

Scottybones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dakota shocks were mentioned as the correct length if we were going to order something different. What year should I be looking at? I want to use KYB's instead to save a few bucks. Thanks.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Dakota shocks were mentioned as the correct length if we were going to order something different. What year should I be looking at? I want to use KYB's instead to save a few bucks. Thanks.

I would really go with Bilsteins, saving a few bucks on a cheaper shock will usually cost you more in the long run. You want a good well built shock to make springs last longer etc
Now as far as the rear shocks go 99-04 Dodge dakota 4x4
bushing kit for them available from JeepinByAl

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys i have been searching but cant find a definite answer to my question. I am looking at a 2" lift with king springs aussie beand used to be used on the CRDSTU kits I believe anyway shocks as far as I can tell standard length are ok for the front but I need extended for the rear can anyone confirm this? Or unconfirm as the case may be

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys i have been searching but cant find a definite answer to my question. I am looking at a 2" lift with king springs aussie beand used to be used on the CRDSTU kits I believe anyway shocks as far as I can tell standard length are ok for the front but I need extended for the rear can anyone confirm this? Or unconfirm as the case may be

Someone else can chime in about the King springs as I have no idea about those
Front shocks are all the same size
As for rears, you need extended ones when lifting to avoid blowing/topping them out

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks thats about what i thought just wanted confirmation

Members online

No members online now.