KJ604's build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at General Grabber AT2s
I like the tread pattern on them and they aren't a bad price for all 5
I think if I rotate them at specific and consistent intervals they'll be a good tire
Really like your wheels also, I've always been a fan of the contrast that those black wheels give vs the body color

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at General Grabber AT2s
I like the tread pattern on them and they aren't a bad price for all 5
I think if I rotate them at specific and consistent intervals they'll be a good tire
Really like your wheels also, I've always been a fan of the contrast that those black wheels give vs the body color

I was looking at the general at2 for a while they are an attractive price however I heard some not so great things about the sidewall and decided to just spend the extra bit of money on the tires and not worry about them. I got load range C to save a bit of weight.

As far as the extra weight from the wheels. Yes it takes a little bit of extra accelerator to make it feel as peppy as with the stock wheels but if you are easy on the pedal it doesn't feel like it's lugging and I don't feel underpowered at all. I haven't been on the hi way much yet I could see having to downshift going uphill at hi way speed but my KJ has the 3.55s from the factory and I'm not upset that I put on bigger tires at all right now

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so Ive been lifted for two weeks.

I love it. It drives and rides like it always should have. The body roll used to scare me but the new suspension has brought that to a manageable level. Obviously the wider track with a lower backspaced wheel helps things feel more stable as well. Lost a tiny bit of pep with the weight of bigger tires but not sluggish by any means. It is awesome, I really am happy with the results. But it hasnt been perfect.

I have some rubbing in the wheels wells. Only when at or near full lock however. Very minor going forward, still minor but more significant in reverse. Going to have to do some inner fender trimming.

Took a couple of tries to get the alignment done right. Its still not perfect. The second shop I went to got it really close but the tech still couldnt get the caster up high enough. I got them to do it once and then took it back a week later to get them to look at the caster again. The tech got the camber to -0.6 on both sides toe was perfect at 0.1 on each side. On the drivers side he got the caster up to 2.0 but he couldn't get the passenger side any higher than 0.5. So Im not sure whats going on there and the Jeep wants to turn right all the time but it does drive straight if you hold the wheel still. The tires should be wearing evenly because camber and toe are more or less perfect.

Also I am still getting contact on the PS front somewhere under certain driving conditions. There is one spot on my drive to work in the morning where there is a dip in the road probably only 2-3 inches deep but its a sharp drop so it causes the wheel to drop quickly, and I hear a bang like metal on metal. If the transition is smooth its fine but if its a sharp drop I hear the bang. Other spots too like coming off an uneven bridge deck or cresting a hill with an uneven grade change. So I need to figure that out as well.

And i didnt have one of the KJ's that just sat level after being lifted. DS is a little lower than the PS now. Ill take new measurements this weekend. So I need to squeak a little more out of that DS one day.

But the look is awesome, the functionality is great. Overall I am happy but I am still sorting out the details. I will report back when a few more of those have been ironed out.

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update on my KJ

Discovered an issue with the springs on the front. The DS was sitting 5/8"+ lower than the PS. Install was checked over and over for any other differences and none can be found. I was referred to JBA's supplier, ARB, to deal with warranty issues and after explaining to them what is happening on my KJ they are going to replace the 927 springs under warranty for me.

I didnt get any shipping information so I dont know when they will get to me but I would guess the next update will be shortly after that

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Good luck with the replacements. You have done a fine job. :waytogo:

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK So the new front springs showed up. I havent had a chance to install them yet. The weather looks terrible this weekend so I probably wont get to it this weekend either...

I was looking at the bilstein shocks for the rear on JBA since it looks like they have a good deal right now. they have 2.5" and 4" versions. since im going for the 3.25-3.5 range Im assuming I should get the 4" version?

also going to pick up a y-link extension since I missed that on round 1 too.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK So the new front springs showed up. I havent had a chance to install them yet. The weather looks terrible this weekend so I probably wont get to it this weekend either...

I was looking at the bilstein shocks for the rear on JBA since it looks like they have a good deal right now. they have 2.5" and 4" versions. since im going for the 3.25-3.5 range Im assuming I should get the 4" version?

also going to pick up a y-link extension since I missed that on round 1 too.

I have the 2.5" Bilsteins and I'm sitting at 3 1/4" lift
I don't think it's a big deal

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 2.5" Bilsteins and I'm sitting at 3 1/4" lift
I don't think it's a big deal

I have the 2.5" OME shocks and from what i understand im at risk of topping them out. so far I have been ok but havent really done any extreme off roading. Just wanted to prepare for the inevitable.

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also I cant see the bushing kit for the bilstein shocks on JBA right now. can someone point me in the right direction?

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's it^
What you have to do is click on the 2.5" Bilstein shocks, scroll all the way down in the description and it'll say "bushing kit needed one kit fits 2 shocks" or something similar and you click on that
Takes you right to the page to purchase them

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just found and ordered 2, N132L :)

Will have a set of OME 60069 shocks up for sale if anyone is interested in a very lightly used set

Last edited:

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so got some good things happening today. The N132L's are installed. The y-link extension is installed.

I was having the problem with the DS being alot shorter than the PS. I got the springs replaced under warranty. I had the old ones taken apart today to install the new springs but now that the old springs are out they are the exact same height :S

The only other thing that could be affecting height would be the bushings on the LCA so I was going to replace those today but I cant get a ball joint press anywhere. They all got rented out already.

I cant find or think of anything else that could have been causing the height difference. Seems like I have an extra set of springs now also...

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was having the same issue
My drivers side was 1/4"-1/2" lower than the passenger
I got the AirLift1000 and now have the drivers side filled up with a little more air so everything sits perfectly level almost down to 1/16"-2/16"

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was having the same issue
My drivers side was 1/4"-1/2" lower than the passenger
I got the AirLift1000 and now have the drivers side filled up with a little more air so everything sits perfectly level almost down to 1/16"-2/16"

I guess we'll see what happens when I put everything together and put it on the ground. But it doesn't really seem like the springs were the problem right now. I'm not going to spring for an air system. If this doesn't work I will get at close to level as I can with the clevis spacers

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so new stabilizer bar bushings installed and got the lca/clevis bushings replaced today too. I will say that anyone who is doing a lift on a jeep that has never had one before should replace these lca bushings too. They make quite a difference in the hub to fender measurements if they are worn

Compared to the first time I put on fresh springs the DS is sittings 3/8" taller and the PS is sitting 1/2" taller with fresh bushings

On the first go-around I thought that my DS was not being lifted high enough and that was what was causing the un even height from left to right. Now it appears, after switching the bushings, that the PS is actually being lifted TOO MUCH.

The lift numbers with fresh LCA bushings and a fresh set of 927 Springs that have not settled in yet are.

DS = 3 5/8" of lift or 22 5/8" hub to fender
PS = 4 1/4" of lift or 23 1/4" hub to fender!!!!!

So with all things truly being equal now I'm at a bit of a loss. The only thing I can think is I'm going to drive it for a week on my old tires and then try to level it out with the clevis spacers, most likely by lowering the PS a little.

Any input/insight from anyone would be appreciated. What else could possibly cause a height difference between the two sides???

I sure love the way she looks with fresh springs!

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
How did you replace them? Did you have any clunking going on? My LR3 has bad LCA bushings and it clunks a bit over hard bumps.