KJ604's build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Did you use a C-clamp ball joint press to press the new ones in?

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to know for if/when I go to do this!

Oh gotcha. Yes definitely get a press it will come in handy both removing old and installing new. To get my old ones out I put a few drill holes in the rubber then used the press to press the center metal piece out. Then i took a hacksaw and cut the outer metal piece though. Then I smashed the old sleeve in on itself everywhere I could and just used the screw from the press as a large drift and smacked it out from there

then for the new ones I hammered them in at first to get them started. I used a 4lb sledge and one of the adapters from the press kit. Once the bushing was started a bit I could still hit it around a bit to get it square then pressed it in from there.

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update time.

First the height difference on the front. The front spring have settled back down. Need to get an alignment and level out the DS with the PS. I think the whole front is sitting at an acceptable height now but just still unlevel side to side.

Next, there was a clunking coming from what sounded like the front right to me. Every time the front right dropped, ie - off a curb or over a speed bump quickly, there was a good size metal on metal clunk. I replaced the stabilizer bar bushings first and the clunk was happening less. It would have to be a really good bump to make it make the noise. Then I replaced the stabilizer links and I have yet to hear the noise again.

Also I installed the y-link extension on the rear. I went with the 0 washer setting and there is a very minor vibration at 50 kmh. only at that speed and 5kmh either side and very minor so I think im not going to mess with it.

You must be registered for see images attach

N132L's have also been installed on the rear. Dont think I notice any difference in the ride but Im glad they're on there if i need them and I like the look of the yellow metal boot instead of ugly plastic anyways.

I also bought myself a nice little utility trailer and did my first towing with this rig. The mopar 7 pin wiring harness i bought works flawlessly. got the plug mounted up properly and just use the 4 pin adapter with my trailer.

also changed my oil this past weekend at 105000kms.

I feel like im actually chipping away at the to-do list now. I know it never really ends but I felt like it was really stacking up there for a bit.

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great job all the way through! :favorites13:

Thanks prof!

Forgot to mention that when I did my oil change I put in a little bit less than recommended. Maybe 250ml less around there somewhere but no more than that. And the idle is much much quieter. I saw someone post soemthing about this a while back so I wanted to try and it definitely works. The oil is still in the cross-hatches on the dipstick but it is on the lower end and there is practically no ticking at idle

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
That is interesting. I always err on the low side when refilling after an oil change. It's a whole lot easier to top it off than it is to drain some out.

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is interesting. I always err on the low side when refilling after an oil change. It's a whole lot easier to top it off than it is to drain some out.

Exactly haha thats the way to do it!

But its funny, I have a car and I have to keep the oil level right at the top of the cross hatches otherwise I get a low oil warning.

On my last oil change on the jeep I didnt top the oil right up to the top but I was above the halfway point of the cross hatches a little.

This motor seems to idle quieter at least with the oil near the bottom of the cross hatches. In my mind I feel its still safe because its in that zone and my motor isnt burning any oil and I keep my eye on oil levels anyways. But once youre just inside that zone on the dipstick I dont see a need to top up further than that if it stops the motor from sounding like its rattling when idling

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
For much of my life I had leaky old cars. I'd routinely fill to the top of the safe zone just so I wouldn't have to top off again so soon. :happy175:

My Jeep has never needed a drop. (Knock wood)

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For an oil change, you guys don't just pour in 5 quarts and call it good???

I put approximately 250ml less than the recommended amount of 4.7 liters (5 quarts) and my idle is much quieter now. this means I put in approx 4.5 liters or 4.75 quarts

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online